The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'll do nicely and will make a pleasant change to have someone along who is capable of pressing buttons.

Mohammed & mountain would work too, yet I would be pleased for you to see all of the conversion components in the flesh and to buy you a pint too.

All :badmood: being :cool: well, I hope to get the whole unit onto the car engine for a :twak: test fit and test run @ tick-over this weekend. :)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Yesterday afternoon I stripped the induction off the engine and then it began to rain and rain etc. :badmood:

Whilst in there and could get at it, I've re-fitted the remote oil filter block onto mini exhaust bobbins.

The no. 23 rubber bungs worked perfectly and the 25mm flappy wheel made short work of it.

Removed the ACIS vacuum system and rebuilt fitting the gasket matched shiny runners, shiny fuel rail and tucked a few wires into the loom.

During the rebuild I got so wet my boots filled up and I couldn't see much through my specs either, but the mission was accomplished and it was back up and running before dark in time for a pint. :burp:

No. 23 rubber bungs fit like Cinderella's Slipper :slap:

attachment.php?attachmentid=152955&d=1339011703

Before; Bungs in and gasket in place, nearly. :think: Who does that pic remind me of?

attachment.php?attachmentid=152956&d=1339011703

Getting there

attachment.php?attachmentid=152957&d=1339011703

Now it just needs cleaning up and putting back together in the pouring rain :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=152958&d=1339011703

After a steam cleaning and blow around with the air-line the bungs were pulled using a self tapping cork screw

attachment.php?attachmentid=152959&d=1339011703

Rebuilt with gasket matched and cleaned up runners

attachment.php?attachmentid=152973&d=1339023121

attachment.php?attachmentid=152961&d=1339015685

runners 004.JPG

runners 006.JPG

runners 008.JPG

runners 009.JPG

runners 011.JPG

runners.jpg

sc2 017.JPG

Thank you.

I've not seen that done before, it was an idea I to had to gasket match and flow the induction without opening the engine. We'll never know if it makes any difference, yet I can rest assured I gave it it's best chance. :innocent:

As I get nearer to making it faster, :think: the car has become progressively slower. It has a T.T. auto 3.769 diff, 18" wheels with 40 profile tyres, induction via an elephants trunk and now no ACIS neither. :shrug:

The new brakes stop me faster too :think: which makes it feel even slower, so I'm looking forwards to some gains for my pains.

The list is getting teasingly short now.

Today was 'Steve Day' and I can report that even though he's a mod, he didn't have any horns. :think:

The Suprastick is now re-installed and working a treat, in fact it was a treat to have someone along who knew how to press buttons.

Thank you very much, that's another job off the list.

Today was 'Steve Day' and I can report that even though he's a mod, he didn't have any horns. :think:

The Suprastick is now re-installed and working a treat, in fact it was a treat to have someone along who knew how to press buttons.

Im good at pushing buttons :D Good news. Probably be up your way sometime this summer buddy.

No worries David :thumbs:

How was the drive back?

Im good at pushing buttons :D Good news. Probably be up your way sometime this summer buddy.

I look forwards to meeting you and if I've a trendy little XP laptop by then you can do some button pressing.

No worries David :thumbs:

How was the drive back?

Light throttle and WOT changes are spot on but the mid range throttle position changes are dithery, I think they need moving apart some more and the torque-converter lock-up would be better at a softer setting in auto mode.

Manualised mode is operating perfectly and it was fun having the flappy buttons back to play with.

At the first opportunity, I will replace the Tiptronic buttons with these Lexus flappy paddles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=153120&d=1339269011

lexus paddles 017.JPG

I look forwards to meeting you and if I've a trendy little XP laptop by then you can do some button pressing.

Light throttle and WOT changes are spot on, but the mid range throttle position changes are dithery, I think they need moving apart some more and the torque-converter lock-up would be better at a softer setting in auto mode.

Manualised mode is operating perfectly and it was fun having it back to play with.

At the first opportunity, I will replace the Tiptronic buttons with the Lexus flappy paddles.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=153120&d=1339269011

The mid settings were a bit of a guess but shouldn't be to bad to mess about with now. Glad its all working though :)

The further away you are the better it looks. :think:

The programming can be done on-the-run, yet gear changes can only be made after the tinkering is saved.

We had a few 'WTF are those chavs up to' looks, whilst trying to find gaps in the traffic to learn how the transmission behaved with different settings. :innocent:

I have just had an Eureka moment and realised that one of the vented bonnets I scathe, is actually the simplest solution for the bulge. :think:

Bond on a top and carve out the bottom. :) Simples

If anyone knows anyone who is using a Varis for a garden gate with cat-flap, please let me know.

attachment.php?attachmentid=153298&d=1339462004

OMG.jpg

could you not just cut out the bonnet at a shape you want cut it out and add a 1 inch alley strip/angle or what ever size you need, tac it in place and then bond?

or there is some z shape alley channel that you could nut and bolt or counter sink rivets into to get the 2 parts together,

It was almost fine today and could get access to the workshop from 2pm so I had a mad dash.

Oil changed to 5W50 and a new filter.

Changed plugs for copper, gapped @ .08mm.

Fitted modified rocker cover.

Final fitted the charge cooler to clear the stock cover.

Test fitted the belts, it's the 4061037 I need.

Modified the front plug cover to fit charge-cooler.

Measured up a few scribbles for the bonnet bulge.

Took it all off again and returned it to a functioning N/A and had a pint in my hand by 8pm. :confused:

Well I had to see if it worked, :eyebrows: so I bodge-locked the Lexus TPS wires into the loom, did a minimal job with the plumbing and BROOOOOOOOOOM, :) 3k of broom to be exact.

It seemed happy enough, AFR 12 in cold start cycle settling to 15 warm, everything was doing what it said on the tin, so I just let it get on with it. :shrug:

I had broken a silicone vacuum hose during installation, it had snapped like a carrot during the get in there jiggling. :innocent:

I have assembled this contraption many times on the jig, but on the car it requires a particular sequence. :think:

Next time I will assemble the back-plate to the supercharger before installation and fit the charger before fitting the cooler then get E.T. to do up the supercharger rear nuts.

There wasn't enough time to play around with it and the supercharger had only 3 of the 4 induction flange bolts in, one was impossible to get at without a rebuild and there may well have been a leak there too.

I now know it all fits in there, know the belt length required and know the bonnet bulge dimensions and it even works as well, I'm happy enough with that. :burp:

It was nice to see it complete in the bay for the first time and confirm it all fits in there and .... the first fully assembled test-spin, a project milestone moment. :)

Shame it had to come back off so quickly, I wonder if the Queen heard it fire up? :think:

Only the bonnet to bulge and the wiring to sort out for water/meth and HHO systems, then it can go on and stay on.

Supercharged is so close now, yet after friday, I can't get access to the workshop again until 2nd July, but I can get on with bulging the bonnet at home.

I have just bought a leather sand-bag and a set of panel-beating hammers, the neighbours are going to love me! :innocent:

Just had a good catch up on this project, great to see you starting to see the light and the end of the tunnel.

The amount of work you have put into this is something else. Its great to see someone trying new things and not giving up, your hard work will pay off I'm sure.