JackyBoi

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My OEM front bumper arrived this morning from Hungary :D

Not sure if it's a facelift or pre-facelift, or just an ordinary bumper if I'm honest! Either way just need to buy a polyurethane type 2 front lip, probably from Whifbitz, have it all sprayed 040 white then fit to my car :)

Still waiting for the turbo though :(

The facelift have the small horizontal bar in the front (FMIC) opening.

So this one seems to be pre-facelift.

As above, plus no side light cut outs, definitely pre facelift.

Thanks guys. I take it it will still fit my car? Looks like I'll have to make additional cut outs for the lights and indicators

Thanks guys. I take it it will still fit my car? Looks like I'll have to make additional cut outs for the lights and indicators

Yes the bumper fitment is the same. If you have a facelift you'll need to cut the holes for the side markers and centre bar.

Second wastegate was delivered today, just waiting on the turbo now!

Also cut off the wastegate pipes to have a look inside and measure the thickness of the tubes (cringe alert)

Lots of dremelling to be done :D the pipes are all around 2mm thick which isn't too bad at all!

I love the way that runner blocks around 30% of the wastegate pipe :D that must get mega hot.

Wow, what the hell are they thinking blocking that much of the wastegate pipe, Jesus Christ.

Tell me about it we were literally laughing when we saw it! Looks like £200 will be plenty to put towards fabrication, so I could be seeing a not-gonna-break-anytime-soon turbo manifold for circa £330! Which for a 2JZ who can complain. Now it really is just the slag to sort out, relocation of the wastegate pipes and bracing, as I'm not too concerned about the 2mm tubes cracking!

• 2 weeks later...

I wired up my boost gauge today. I had to use some random wire to extend the 12v and ground as it didn't reach the points I would be splicing into. I grounded it to a stock ground point just before the gear stick

I spliced into the 12v cigarette lighter

I think I'm gonna mount it around here. I want to drill a small hole in the dash to allow the wires and hose to be hidden entirely

Hooked up a power pack as I'm minus a battery at the moment

And success! She works a treat :)

Will be able to see if it actually works when mapping day comes :D I'll be starting fabrication on the manifold on Monday. Aim is to have it all finished by the start of April just in time for the fast show at Santapod!

Edited by JackyBoi (see edit history)

Just been back through your build thread, and its surprising how much you have managed to achieve.

Looking forward to the development with the new kit, and your view compared to the old twins.

I think once you get the manifold sorted out, you will see a massive difference with drivability.

Keep up the good work.

Just been back through your build thread, and its surprising how much you have managed to achieve.

Looking forward to the development with the new kit, and your view compared to the old twins.

I think once you get the manifold sorted out, you will see a massive difference with drivability.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks mate! It's been a long and very indecisive process, but I think this setup is going to be much, much better than the twins - especially as it's entirely a street car :) I can't wait to hear what these screamers are gonna sound like!

Looking good mate. Although why don't you fit the gauge where the clock is to save your dash. I still need to wire mine in actually, I have the same gauge.

I already have an AFR where the clock is. Later down the line I'll buy a 3 gauge holder for AFR, oil pressure and oil temp, with the boost gauge sitting where the clock goes :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some good progress today. We test fitted the turbo and found that in order to rotate the housing enough to allow the intercooler pipe to be connected, the turbo would need to sit a little higher. So I used a T4 divided exhaust flange, around 10mm thick, between the turbo and the manifold, and it allowed the extra rotation :)

Then we mocked up some brackets to hold the wastegates in the place we wanted them, allowing Damian to work out the angles etc of the pipes to fit perfectly

This is where they'll sit. I'm gonna have a heat shield installed to protect the reservoir

Hopefully more to come tomorrow :)

Edited by JackyBoi (see edit history)

You'd probably be better to turn the turbo housing around so the silicone joiner is pointing downwards. We had a similar setup to what you've mocked up there and after time the silicone joiner had collapsed and was restricting air flow. Or you could weld a 90 degree piece of aluminium onto the turbo housing?

Aren't you going to absolutely cook your brake and clutch fluids by positions the wastegates there, even with a heatshield?

Also, I think you'll need to fun flexi sections between the manifold and the wastegates if you're mounting them to something that won't move with the engine. You'd still need to fun flexis after the wastegates too.

Also, I think you'll need to fun flexi sections between the manifold and the wastegates if you're mounting them to something that won't move with the engine. You'd still need to fun flexis after the wastegates too.

I assumed the wastegate brackets were just a jig to work out the pipework?