The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What would you go for in place of a supra?

Crash Bandicoot

Sold my tt6 on friday, currently looking at evo’s from v to vIII, really have no idea what i want, have a huge urge to get an old american car that kinda replaces my supras happy rear end, im worried i might find the evo abit safe

Anything 4WD or AWD will feel too "safe" compared to a RWD 300+hp car.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something with a Lexus badge for me next i think :D

ISF, RC or would love an LC :D

I’d say ISF having had one out of the three. The other two are heavy cars so performance wasn’t that impressive. Test drove the LC500 V8 when I had my ISF, felt huge in terms of width (narrow lanes were a concern) and when I did have some open road to floor it, wasn’t that impressed with the pull as it’s a heavy beastie! ;)

I’m sure Rafi/Simon at RR-Racing can help with a supercharger setup, but I’d want to get the car for a good price if I knew I’d be spending out another £10-15k on it.

Same issues as you see with the GTR, early car was light and nimble (R32), then each model that followed was bigger and heavier which robbed the performance.

Sold my tt6 on friday, currently looking at evo’s from v to vIII, really have no idea what i want, have a huge urge to get an old american car that kinda replaces my supras happy rear end, im worried i might find the evo abit safe

Having owned a vi TME, ix FQ360 and X FQ330 and they are great cars but on the excitement level you have to be doing crazy things to be as fun as the supra. In my opinion of course.

I followed the lc500 v8 around Thruxton in a mkv Supra and it wasn't quick and looked like a boat in the bends it put me off totally

I don’t think you’d buy an LC500 for speed, at the end of the day it’s a GT car. They weigh almost 2000kg with 470bhp, I can imagine they are a great car for munching up the miles in style and comfort IMO. They are a great looking car though that’s for sure.

It makes me realise what an absolute bargain the Supra's were from 2001 (when only 7 odd years old) to approx 2014-15. Close to Ferrari 360 performance and affordable and not cheap because it was unreliable far from it.

The GTR in 2007 sort of reclaimed the almost supercar quick Jap monster tag but hasn't ever slumped in price as much?

I can't think of any car that is similar now, anything seriously brisk is semi serious money?

I'd probably go down the BWM M route.. but there are loads of them about, so it certainly wouldn't be for getting something different. I'm toying with the idea about getting one of the new 440i BMW's as a second car to the Supra as a trade off as I don't want to get rid of my Supra any time soon, but then its gonna be another coupe that does a similar job lol.

I like the idea of a nice AMG engined car too. I love the Merc AMG GT.

If money was no object, I would choose a Supercharged Audi R8 V10.

The howl of that V10 engine combined with the wail of a supercharger, is truly awesome.

There's one for sale here, in the best colour too... https://www.reezocar.com/en/occasion/annonce-audi-r8-RZCATSDECDB1020F4769.html

If anyone buys it, please let me have a go! :innocent:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I’d love the newer r8 v10 with a charger strapped to it...

unfortunately, I don’t have £100k+ laying around :blink:

I’d say my top budget (including selling the supra) would be around £45k.

Shame I can’t find an older shape v10 spyder to force my hand

I genuinely think going from a single turbo Supra to a NA R8 will be rather underwhelming.

I've been looking at this recently thinking about a change, The issue is, the Supra despite the raise in prices, is still allot of car for the money.

The ones I had been looking at are the following at around the 30-50k mark

GTR- Epic performance but GTR maintenance is a bit painful

Audi R8- problem is your in early V8 territory not the v10

Aston V8 vantage- lovely cars but a very different car, and cant help but feel its a bit older man for me, however im still tempted

Porsche 997 911- in the peasant spec price tag unfortunately not the turbo car.

Ariel Attom- Just pure fun but pretty much unusable for anything other than a short hoon.

Ferrari's- this is a bucket list item for me but again just not going to be getting a model you desire imo. Was tempted by a 348 at one stage but its a bit to old for me, I still want a 360 manual car.

Really depends what type of car you want and how far you can stretch your budget.

Is it just me or are a lot of new performance cars just too fast to use, bar on track or autobahn. My supra is 'just' 400hp bpu auto but getting the 2nd turbo on song puts you in to licence losing territory. I had a civic type r years back and you could wring its neck through the revs on the a roads without a care....

Also 90's jap stuff are cheap on consumables, r35 gtr would be what id want but discs & pads all round nearly a 2k bill, tyres all round are the same.

I would like to have a play with some classics like a TR6 and get a 2nd bike like a Duc 1299s so that's 30k gone

Sell both of them and have a play with a Lotus Esprit

Sell that and get a R35

I had a vx220 turbo last and theyre fun, great punch acceleration and grip but not being able to hold a conversation above 50mph with the roof up gets old quick!! Haha.

Is it just me or are a lot of new performance cars just too fast to use, bar on track or autobahn. My supra is 'just' 400hp bpu auto but getting the 2nd turbo on song puts you in to licence losing territory. I had a civic type r years back and you could wring its neck through the revs on the a roads without a care....

Also 90's jap stuff are cheap on consumables, r35 gtr would be what id want but discs & pads all round nearly a 2k bill, tyres all round are the same.

Where do you get your tyres from? :blink:

To be fair, those things would be the least of my worries. The legendary Datsun rust is more of a deterrent for me...

Where do you get your tyres from? :blink:

To be fair, those things would be the least of my worries. The legendary Datsun rust is more of a deterrent for me...

Do the GTR's suffer from rust issues? I've never really kept up to speed on the ins and outs of them but with some getting on for 12 years old now, I guess it'll start becoming more and more common if they do suffer from it in places

That’s why I bought a Fiat (abarth) 595 competizione it’s just quick affordable fun plus I can get the wife and kids in it too but it’s not a Supra replacement!