The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra - Progress so far, next steps and build thread

Peter P

37 minutes ago, Peter P said:

Thanks Ben.

If I’m being totally honest I would happily get it repaired, but not sure if that’s even an option. I’ve reached out to Driftworks and also left a message for Lepsons to call me to see if it can be repaired, if so, I’ll do that and worry about compensation later I guess. Just want my new wheels on the car, but who knows if that’s going to happen anytime soon mate. 😢

I'd be careful doing that.. i'd assume most companies would want the right to rectify themselves or at least would need to agree they would compensate you.

Personally - as the wheels are new i wouldn't want to have to repair them, i'd want a replacement - even if that means waiting

12 minutes ago, tayr said:

I'd be careful doing that.. i'd assume most companies would want the right to rectify themselves or at least would need to agree they would compensate you.

Personally - as the wheels are new i wouldn't want to have to repair them, i'd want a replacement - even if that means waiting

Thanks mate.

As I say, first email was to Driftworks. Hoping to hear back from them so I can figure out what the next step will be. Don’t really want to wait another 7-8 months, but agree given the cost a new one would be my first preference. I’ll see what they say and go from there, but not going to do anything till I have spoken to Driftworks. 👍

Small update. So the new controllers for the headlight halo’s should be getting to Matt / M H bodywork tomorrow. 🙂

Spoke to Driftworks this morning, they are going to let me know what my options are in terms of next steps. Sounds like I may have a choice between having it repaired or replaced, but a lot will depend on the lead time as don’t really want to wait another 6-8 months for a new one if at all possible. I’ll update here when I know more. 👍

8 hours ago, Peter P said:

Thanks mate.

As I say, first email was to Driftworks. Hoping to hear back from them so I can figure out what the next step will be. Don’t really want to wait another 7-8 months, but agree given the cost a new one would be my first preference. I’ll see what they say and go from there, but not going to do anything till I have spoken to Driftworks. 👍

they could probably send you over a new lip. then its just the hassle switching it carefully.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

they could probably send you over a new lip. then its just the hassle switching it carefully.

Indeed, obviously it’s Driftworks call initially to offer me a repair or replacement I guess. Given these weren’t cheap, I’d probably opt for replacement, but just depends on lead time. If they can just get a new lip and switch it carefully as you say, I’d be happy with that. Was hoping they’d email me today, but nothing as yet. Waiting game I guess. 

Morning Folks,

So small update. The damaged front wheel is being returned to Driftworks. They will then arrange a replacement for me from Works in Japan. Not ideal as will mean the other 3 will need to sit in the garage for a while until the new one arrives. Hopefully won’t be another 6-8 months! 🙄

In happier news the new headlight controllers from Harry arrived with Matt yesterday. He’s hoping to get them wired up today and send me a video. I’ll probably share it here when I get it. 👍

Last up is car will be getting collected from M H Bodywork on Saturday morning to be trailered down to SRD by young James. The guys are going to try and get all of my outstanding work done next week so car will be ready for Go Japan a week on Sunday. Fingers crossed it all goes well and I finally get to drive and enjoy it again. 🤞

• Like 3

On 9/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, Peter P said:

Afternoon Folks,

So what started off as a great day has ended in tears (mine!). Took my new wheels to get the tyres fitted and 3 of them are done and look amazing (see photos) sadly the 4th wheel (one of the fronts) has been dented in transit. Outer lip as well, so not sure what to do now. I’ve emailed Driftworks to see if they can help, but last thing I need is to wait another 8 odd months for a replacement! Car was due to have these fitted this coming week before going to SRD and then the Go Japan show. I’m so gutted, just feels like fate doesn’t want me to finish the car or get any enjoyment out of it. 😢

The headlights were almost a disaster as well. Clearly the courier re-packed them after the box was split open, but thankfully the actual headlights are fine and got here safe some how. Unfortunately they did manage to lose one of the controller units, so didn’t look like these would be ready either for the show. Thankfully Harry being the legend he is has managed to get replacements on the way and they should arrive middle of the week and are going straight to Matt at M H Bodywork to fit. Just gutting car won’t be wearing these lovely wheels unless a miracle happens. 

D0FBC620-93CE-4D9E-A091-74D37B959B95.jpeg

81BE2325-ADDB-491B-BD4E-810FDDB5FFC2.jpeg

025CB8BF-268D-40B8-97B0-883963E11A01.jpeg

116E85A5-5200-4FBB-B242-FD8FC63464FC.jpeg

EE7E928C-C499-4C4B-A554-C28272F1C7C2.jpeg

6F99AB45-0251-4F8B-B587-55CCB2F6A48E.jpeg

2B0A0A15-1690-4778-97B1-721CB3A7B20E.jpeg

6C6CD08F-55F0-4019-A3EB-85A175D88A53.jpeg

Ohhhhh mannnn what a shit!! Hope that it gets solved asap!! 

9 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

Fingers cross for you on the lead time on the replacement wheel.

Thanks mate. 🙂 

Driftworks have arranged a courier to collect the damaged wheel tomorrow, then they will order the replacement and give me an ETA once they hear from Work Japan. Fingers crossed won’t be another 6-8 months. 🤞

Hey All,

So big day tomorrow. James from SRD is kindly coming over to trailer the Supra down to the workshop. 🙂 

The guys are going to try and get most if not all of my outstanding jobs done next week ready for me to collect it in time to show at Go Japan on Sunday week. 👍

List of work being as follows:

- Install new old style TRD engine mounts along with the Whifbitz conversion brackets. Got the infamous judder most facelifts suffer from!

- Install and setup the new HKS Hypermax GT 4 suspension.

- Full service and fluid checks etc as it’s been off the road for 18 months or so now with only the odd start up for moving around the bodyshop.

- MOT

- New radiator install and titanium upper radiator hose kit from Whifbitz. 

- BPU work, boost controller, first de-cat pipe, colder grade spark plugs etc.

- Install the Venom Automotive pedal covers.

- Install and wire up the flappy paddle steering wheel to replace the tiptronic one.

- Install SRD gearbox cooler.

- Install AEM AFR gauge.

Quite the list, but I have absolute faith the guys at SRD will deliver like they always do. 👍

I’m heading over to Matt’s in the morning to help load the car on the trailer, will snap a couple photos and post them up here. 🙂 

• Like 1

Afternoon All,

So car has gone over to SRD. James did a fab job loading it on the trailer and even sent me a photo to show it safe and sound at the workshop. Roll on next week when hopefully it will be road legal and I’ll be able to drive it with lots of new goodies fitted and working. 👍 🙂 

274E7C34-A2F0-423D-82CB-454373217CAB.jpeg

5653BFCA-2DC7-4AC7-8E06-F5E2EF7A17CD.jpeg

4A2796D6-BBB3-4C56-8DDC-5E367A90920C.jpeg

6E437516-A79D-429C-A494-628CA4809465.jpeg

E6BCEF13-28AB-4B68-B7CE-BBF8989D9468.jpeg

B94E4A37-E9F6-488D-B03F-57550A9E62A9.jpeg

619F6153-F647-4AF4-AEB6-149DAF564FCB.jpeg

FEB04F95-DCAC-476A-B10C-C98358D7982B.jpeg

22758AE7-B14F-4790-9D89-FDAEA8DB7498.jpeg

D6F21A2F-5064-42F4-91E8-8B5410DDA533.jpeg

8C1EE621-3858-43F8-AC05-BF400456A8D2.jpeg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, JamieP said:

Car looks superb Peter

Thanks JP. 🙂 

Really happy with the looks now, just the wheels to fit when I get the replacement from Driftworks/Works.

Hoping to get the gearbox, SYVECS and rear diff done next. Then we can do the engine and turbo. Hopefully it comes out like yours mate. Thing of beauty that engine bay, certainly inspirational for me. 👍

• Like 1