The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra - Progress so far, next steps and build thread

Peter P

On 10/8/2021 at 7:08 AM, Peter P said:

Morning Folks,

So car is going from strength to strength now it has the new brain controlling things. Mike at SRD was busy tuning the map yesterday and also setting things up so I can run TTC or sequential mode. Notes at the top of the graphs. Works out at roughly 470hp and 400ftbs. Think even SRD are surprised how well it’s making power. πŸ™‚Β 

Love how smooth the curve is and it’s making power in all the right places. Hopefully not too long till I can go and collect it. 🀞

Big thanks to Lee, Mike, James and the SRD team for getting things working so well. Super pleased. πŸ™‚Β 

B159B8A2-4D28-4212-9B6A-3B0CDC8AA988.jpeg

6B238D9A-0B14-46AE-84CD-09B00411A040.jpeg

C5DB46B8-6F6D-4F26-BF95-DDD2881439FA.jpeg

Wow impressive numbers for twins!!! πŸ™‚

Β 

Congrats!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krimi said:

Wow impressive numbers for twins!!! πŸ™‚

Β 

Congrats!

Thanks Krimi. πŸ‘Β πŸ™‚Β 

I’m really happy with those numbers, especially when you think it wasn’t that long ago I was having rich running issues and the car was down on power. Hopefully in addition to the ISF gearbox conversion and beefed up rear differential that should be going in early 2022, may have the funds to get the single conversion fitted. Won’t be able to run it to its full potential, but that can follow when I get the engine built.

Like most things, as long as it’s moving forwards (no matter the pace) I’m happy. Β πŸ™‚Β 

• Like 1

Hey Folks,

Small update, got a couple of photos of the Toucan from James at SRD. Not the best, as lighting was poor apparently, but you get the idea. πŸ˜‰Β 
Β 

Want to say a huge thank you to β€˜Burna’ on here for getting me the new design mount sorted for the Toucan, looks bang on and keeps the dash clean and clutter free. πŸ‘

Hoping the back order front U.K. caliper arrives this week, if so SRD will get those installed before I go and collect it ready for the drive to Reading on Saturday for the GT TunersΒ Club end of season event on Sunday.Β 
Β 

If all goes to plan I should be picking it up on Friday. Looking forward to my first drive in a very long time! πŸ™‚Β 

1BCCEA98-D5EB-4098-83FD-A614BED62D08.jpeg

7E464C57-C3BB-4C66-9D6D-FD24FEC88D99.jpeg

• Like 3

Hey Folks,

So we made it to Reading for the end of season show with the GT Tuners Club this weekend. Car was looking good, but it’s not running properly with the SYVECS and the tiptronic (now paddle shift) gearbox. Basically keeps cutting out and stalling on me, especially when you first start it up and try to move from park to drive. Cut a few times on the motorway for no apparent reason as well, so it’s headed back to Lee/SRD tomorrow. Hoping it can be fixed,Β as it makes me nervous and ruins the enjoyment. 😞 

Looking nice though.Β 

94A4DF16-9994-4702-9BC6-27406FBA7098.jpeg

D04DB1B5-41A5-4E0D-AFC9-D8C103BB9B60.jpeg

AF21F1CF-5550-4546-A7A7-0C45C6D47EFB.jpeg

F2036866-BBAF-46AA-BA63-1A9A555A097B.jpeg

47D9200C-7CA6-4808-AFF5-AAB083D45F76.jpeg

D5227355-3B33-47FF-B2DC-552C2CE0FFF1.jpeg

F93CE0CD-A99D-4DF7-803B-6186B76E2301.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, m12aak said:

Goodness 😬, I'd be s***ing myself if it cut out on the motorway! Fingers crossed it gets sorted tomorrow.

Lol, thanks mate. I did the first time it happened on the drive home from SRD on Friday, but was ready for it driving to the venue and home today. It’s certainly unnerving when it just cuts for no apparent reason, but I’ve got better at staying calm, selecting neutral, restarting the car and putting it back in drive. Think Lee is going to look at it for me so hopefully they can figure out why it’s doing it and make it better. Won’t be long hopefully till the 8-speed gearbox swap, so don’t really want to spend a lot fixing it. Guess we’ll see how they get on when they take another look at it this week. 🀞

• Like 1

Wow, bet that is a real 5p 10p moment.

So is the Syvecs workingΒ independently of the OEM system? As in no OEM ECU’s and only the Syvecs fittedΒ withΒ fullΒ control over the engine andΒ gearbox?

OrΒ is itΒ piggybacked to the original OEM ECU so the Syvecs does the engine with the OEM ECUΒ controlling the tiptronic gearbox?

9 hours ago, Frank Bullitt said:

Wow, bet that is a real 5p 10p moment.

So is the Syvecs workingΒ independently of the OEM system? As in no OEM ECU’s and only the Syvecs fittedΒ withΒ fullΒ control over the engine andΒ gearbox?

OrΒ is itΒ piggybacked to the original OEM ECU so the Syvecs does the engine with the OEM ECUΒ controlling the tiptronic gearbox?

Indeed. So I know the OEM tiptronic ECU has been removed (currently in a bag in the garage). Don’t think the gearbox ECU has been removed, so I believe the SYVECS is working in conjunction with that, but SRD would know for definite. I’ll ask Lee later when I see him and confirm. πŸ‘

• Like 1

So car is back with SRD. Lee took it out straight away to see what was happening and it looks like the slave board on the SYVECS is turning off because of something it doesn’t like drawing too much current. As a result, it shuts down the gearbox control and throttle body control. This in turn causes a throttle error and the ecu turns the car off for safety.Β 
Β 

Long and short, Lee and SRD now need to find out what is causing the surge/extra load on the car that triggers the slave to turn off.Β 
Β 

I’ll post an update when I hear more. 🀞

• Like 2

Afternoon folks.

So still waiting for news from Lee/SRD on what is causing the surge, hoping it’s nothing too serious or expensive. 🀞

In other exciting news, Lee had this available for the next stage in my build which will see the throttle body swapped out for drive by wire (DBW), this gorgeous Hypertune intake fitted, updated fuel system, GTR coil pack conversion and hopefully single kit along with the 8-speed gearbox swap and uprated rear diff. πŸ™‚Β 

Have to see how the budget goes,Β as I may leave the single conversion for now and just enjoy the car for a bit at BPU.Β 
Β 

Do love a Hypertune.Β 

62D72D5F-3853-40B5-910C-0F743A2B6C0B.jpeg

A209EE19-1038-47F5-BD61-170DDB559982.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/25/2021 at 7:38 AM, Peter P said:

Indeed. So I know the OEM tiptronic ECU has been removed (currently in a bag in the garage). Don’t think the gearbox ECU has been removed, so I believe the SYVECS is working in conjunction with that, but SRD would know for definite. I’ll ask Lee later when I see him and confirm. πŸ‘

Did you get any updates on this? Are you 100% Syvecs or a Syvecs & OEM mix?

Β 

1 hour ago, Peter P said:

In other exciting news, Lee had this available for the next stage in my build which will see the throttle body swapped out for drive by wire (DBW), this gorgeous Hypertune intake fitted, updated fuel system, GTR coil pack conversion and hopefully single kit along with the 8-speed gearbox swap and uprated rear diff. πŸ™‚Β 

Have to see how the budget goes,Β as I may leave the single conversion for now and just enjoy the car for a bit at BPU.Β 
Β 

Do love a Hypertune.Β 

Β 

Is the hypertune and DBW being fitted now? So you might being going single already?

32 minutes ago, Frank Bullitt said:

Probably an OS Giken and changing the ring and pinion out to make theΒ gearbox work.

Spot on. Bought a used Lexus LS400 series 2 diff that SRD will strip down, replace with OS Giken and one of their lovely small diff covers (work of art). πŸ™‚Β 

Edited by Peter P (see edit history)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Frank Bullitt said:

Did you get any updates on this? Are you 100% Syvecs or a Syvecs & OEM mix?

Β 

Is the hypertune and DBW being fitted now? So you might being going single already?

Pretty sure I’m 100% SYVECS,Β with the gearbox control and intake being done via the slave board in the SYVECS. Hence the surge shut down the slave which disabled the gearbox control etc.

No, I’ve only bought the Hypertune for now as Lee had it and did me a good deal on it ready for the the next stage of my build. Won’t be going on till around March next year. πŸ‘

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Supra-love said:

Fantastic mate, really is a beauty

Thank you mate, much appreciated. πŸ‘

So car is still with SRD, waiting on the back order front U.K. spec caliper. Lee and Mike think the cutout issue was due to the stock throttle body. They’ve fitted a Bosch throttle body to the stock manifold, and now running DBW so pedal and wiring all fitted. Initial tests have been good so hopefully that’s sorted it. 🀞

More updates to follow. πŸ™‚Β 

F1B0E9C0-2E29-47E8-8496-D5CF842A1162.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter P said:

Thank you mate, much appreciated. πŸ‘

So car is still with SRD, waiting on the back order front U.K. spec caliper. Lee and Mike think the cutout issue was due to the stock throttle body. They’ve fitted a Bosch throttle body to the stock manifold, and now running DBW so pedal and wiring all fitted. Initial tests have been good so hopefully that’s sorted it. 🀞

More updates to follow. πŸ™‚Β 

F1B0E9C0-2E29-47E8-8496-D5CF842A1162.jpeg

That’s awesome news mate, glad you’ve hopefully got it sorted.

Β 

Your love the UK callipers too, what pads and discs you going to use?Β 

Just now, Supra-love said:

That’s awesome news mate, glad you’ve hopefully got it sorted.

Β 

Your love the UK callipers too, what pads and discs you going to use?Β 

Stock discs I believe with Porterfield R4S pads mate. Won’t have the stopping power the K-Sport’s did, but should be fine for a bit. Had to change them to clear the new wheels. Guess if I’d gone 19’s it would have cleared, but didn’t want to go bigger than 18’s.

Just now, Peter P said:

Stock discs I believe with Porterfield R4S pads mate. Won’t have the stopping power the K-Sport’s did, but should be fine for a bit. Had to change them to clear the new wheels. Guess if I’d gone 19’s it would have cleared, but didn’t want to go bigger than 18’s.

The UK callipers and stock discs with upgraded pads have plenty of stopping power mate, will be fine bud.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening All,

So pleased to report car is safely home and hibernating now over the Winter months. Got to say a huge thanks to Lee and the team at SRD for sorting out the cutting out issue, James took it for a long test drive before I collected it the other day after Mike worked some magic on the SYVECS tune. Drive home was faultless, with not a single issue (other than the fuel light coming on which is easily fixed! Lol). The Bosch throttle body and tune changes seem to be holding for now, but looks like Mike will be busy installing one of his bespoke engine looms when it goes back for the next stage early next year. πŸ™‚Β 

Eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted the replacement dash in the photo, that’s one of a few jobs I’m going to be tackling over the hibernation period. Got to say I’m just happy it’s home finally and looking forward to tinkering away in the new look garage. πŸ‘

More updates to follow so stay tuned.Β 
Β 

Cheers.

Β 

Pete πŸ™‚Β 

AD237CFB-81FF-436B-9DAB-B915137952D6.jpeg

59E73FB0-A82E-42B1-98E9-9D8ED115AC5A.jpeg

0FFC896A-4D69-41CC-8C4A-CF41F3D4D998.jpeg

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Tyson said:

Bet you are happy to finally have it home πŸ™‚Β I need to get some more pictures on my walls I think, I love the sign!

Just a bit mate. πŸ˜‰Β 

The neon was from the States, I was hoping it was a bit bigger, but does look nice lit up especially with the main lights off. πŸ™‚Β 

Garage is still a work in progress as the flooring and the rest of my pictures etc will go up hopefully in the new year. πŸ‘