The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra - Progress so far, next steps and build thread

Peter P

1 hour ago, mharvey said:

WOW! I'm seriously jealous 😉 

You definitely don't have to do the summersaulting I do with mine to get in and out of the door haha. 

Congrats mate, it really does look brilliant!

Been there, done that mate. 😉 

Last garage was a small single so I had to drive in then get out through the boot! Lol. 

1 hour ago, mwilkinson said:

Agree.  That looks really nice and what a great place to store your supra 😎

Thank you kindly, been a long time in the making, but it’s finally a reality. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Honored to know there is a picture of my car on your garage wall 😄

Yep, I liked the photos from the club calendar and didn’t want to throw them out so bought some frames and hey presto, nice Supra wall art. 👍

20 minutes ago, Suprakeith said:

Stunning garage with a stunning supra to fit

Thank you Keith, means a lot mate. 👍

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey All,

Been a while since I’ve had any news or progress to report on my build. Funds were running low so I’ve been patiently waiting to get things moving again. 

Booked in for the next stage of development with SRD on the 27th March. Biggest job and change being the fitment of this rather tasty V161 6-speed manual box I picked up from a good friend who sadly had an accident late last year and decided to break his Supra for parts. Like a Phoenix from the ashes, I plan to honour that cars memory by using the gearbox to future proof my car ready for the hike in horsepower down the road. Gearbox comes with clutch, flywheel, front propshaft and all the bolts etc. SRD will provide the other bits I’ll need. 

Got a small list of jobs for Lee and the team to tackle when the car goes in:

1. Install V161 and supporting mods including LS400 series 2 rear diff which will be stripped down, cleaned and fitted with a new OS Giken LSD.

2. Fit replacement Yaris manual steering wheel. Current Yaris wheel has paddles I don’t need anymore.

3. Fit replacement Rev counter dial face in the main cluster as I’m losing the tiptronic screen that shows gear info.

4. Fit sound deadening to new manual transmission tunnel and footwells.

5. Fit new manual pedal cover set.

6. Fit and wire fog light in rear diffuser mesh. 

7. Fabricate new servo assist arm to front number plate flipper. Current plastic one is useless and isn’t up to the job.

8. Repair/weld OSR inner to outer rear sill and weatherproof sills properly.

9. Fit Fluidampr crank pulley.

Hopefully next year we can get the single turbo, fuelling and Hypertune fitted. Year after will be engine rebuild and then we should be able to turn up the boost. 

I’ll keep you guys posted and let you know when I hear anything from Lee and the team. Looking forward to my first drive after the manual is fitted. 

Cheers all.

Pete

8C40A222-9E1C-4EE9-B7FE-946190D6F946.jpeg

E03466D0-9718-4F47-8569-D5E1C64632D5.jpeg

99223852-3BD4-4122-B82E-3E69FB84EB3A.jpeg

21067536-3DCB-4559-B1ED-D5F8355BAE39.jpeg

2E7F530F-8CB5-40F3-B463-6B8BA00A4058.jpeg

D1A4340F-2DE5-48A6-A7AC-9F179B90FA3A.jpeg

652D8327-EB94-4D9F-B781-A5CBBE86D036.jpeg

CC661EEF-13C7-48E2-B12F-CA8DA5E73379.jpeg

BBFA9019-2655-4679-9F15-C3CFA220A81B.jpeg

B2D3508F-E410-4537-941A-59A21AACD56C.jpeg

A1702679-4784-47F5-91A7-AE4FEE212AF8.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 9:33 PM, Noz said:

Lovely diffuser. A great and modern alternative to the typical trial

Cheers Noz. Have to say I love the look of the TwinZ diffuser, I wanted something less race car and more fast road car so this really ticks the box. 

1 hour ago, Supraleeturbo said:

What a difference your car will feel going manual dude congrats 

Thanks mate. It was a tough call as some will recall I was hoping to run the 8-speed auto from the Lexus ISF, but sadly despite SRD’s best efforts it still isn’t working properly. Think SYVECS have a lot on their plate so doubt the finer points will get sorted anytime soon and for my power goals this low mileage V161 with twin plate clutch is perfect. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 4:12 PM, Peter P said:

Hey All,

Been a while since I’ve had any news or progress to report on my build. Funds were running low so I’ve been patiently waiting to get things moving again. 

Booked in for the next stage of development with SRD on the 27th March. Biggest job and change being the fitment of this rather tasty V161 6-speed manual box I picked up from a good friend who sadly had an accident late last year and decided to break his Supra for parts. Like a Phoenix from the ashes, I plan to honour that cars memory by using the gearbox to future proof my car ready for the hike in horsepower down the road. Gearbox comes with clutch, flywheel, front propshaft and all the bolts etc. SRD will provide the other bits I’ll need. 

Got a small list of jobs for Lee and the team to tackle when the car goes in:

1. Install V161 and supporting mods including LS400 series 2 rear diff which will be stripped down, cleaned and fitted with a new OS Giken LSD.

2. Fit replacement Yaris manual steering wheel. Current Yaris wheel has paddles I don’t need anymore.

3. Fit replacement Rev counter dial face in the main cluster as I’m losing the tiptronic screen that shows gear info.

4. Fit sound deadening to new manual transmission tunnel and footwells.

5. Fit new manual pedal cover set.

6. Fit and wire fog light in rear diffuser mesh. 

7. Fabricate new servo assist arm to front number plate flipper. Current plastic one is useless and isn’t up to the job.

8. Repair/weld OSR inner to outer rear sill and weatherproof sills properly.

9. Fit Fluidampr crank pulley.

Hopefully next year we can get the single turbo, fuelling and Hypertune fitted. Year after will be engine rebuild and then we should be able to turn up the boost. 

I’ll keep you guys posted and let you know when I hear anything from Lee and the team. Looking forward to my first drive after the manual is fitted. 

Cheers all.

Pete

8C40A222-9E1C-4EE9-B7FE-946190D6F946.jpeg

E03466D0-9718-4F47-8569-D5E1C64632D5.jpeg

99223852-3BD4-4122-B82E-3E69FB84EB3A.jpeg

21067536-3DCB-4559-B1ED-D5F8355BAE39.jpeg

2E7F530F-8CB5-40F3-B463-6B8BA00A4058.jpeg

D1A4340F-2DE5-48A6-A7AC-9F179B90FA3A.jpeg

652D8327-EB94-4D9F-B781-A5CBBE86D036.jpeg

CC661EEF-13C7-48E2-B12F-CA8DA5E73379.jpeg

BBFA9019-2655-4679-9F15-C3CFA220A81B.jpeg

B2D3508F-E410-4537-941A-59A21AACD56C.jpeg

A1702679-4784-47F5-91A7-AE4FEE212AF8.jpeg

Uhhhhh Peter spending the rackssss.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Krimi said:

Uhhhhh Peter spending the rackssss.

Indeed Krimi, not a cheap upgrade, but should future proof the car and help with running more horsepower when the time comes. 

Looking forward to my first drive with the manual box. Just need to be patient as the guys at SRD are really busy so it’s taking a bit longer. Hoping they can start soon and I’ll get some updates to share with you guys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krimi said:

Having a V161 in the garage is like having an apartment in the center. Is an asset hahaha

Gogogo, convert to single now Peterrrr

Lol, thanks Krimi. 

Strip down begins! Hopefully have some more photos and updates from Lee P and the team at SRD to share with you guys. Will keep you posted. 

212991B2-BBA7-4AAB-9C88-F1BEC22FF802.jpeg

• Like 5

Afternoon All,

Had some nice updates from Lee at SRD, gearbox is in and seems to be working well. Waiting for the rear diff currently to come back from being refurbished so the OS Giken can be fitted etc. New rev counter installed with out the cut out for Auto/Tiptronic and also new Yaris steering wheel without paddles. Nice new leather 6-speed knob and also gaiter and surround done. The new pedals are sort of installed as the throttle pedal won’t work on my DBW throttle pedal which is flat. Thankfully the guys have said if I trace the pedal they will add it to their to-do list so others in the future can also get covers if they need them. Clutch plate was a little more worn than I’d have hoped, but will do for now. RPS triple going in next time which will handle any/all power needs in the future. 

Unfortunately car won’t be ready for JapFest on Sunday, shame as I was part of the 30yr Supra Anniversary tribute. Still, coming along nicely. 

3082B0F7-DB3C-43F1-BAF0-A06FF3181CB1.jpeg

162D62CD-BA71-470F-95B9-CBA3FF2E34E3.jpeg

DDDB348A-0C36-410D-9F70-359480B18747.jpeg

29B4242B-6A63-4889-9F46-88864AFBA092.jpeg

CADE3772-2D50-41B2-9741-7958808A26AD.jpeg

ED634F98-5FD8-420A-B96B-C3B6773303FD.jpeg

• Like 3

Loving the garage set up, bet that loverly with the cabinets.

Flooring looks super too, along with the detail bottle rail, great idea that.

Great colour combo on the wheels too, come a long way since I last checked in.

Top job indeed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Guys,

So car is home safely after a long weekend of driving the new to me V161. Had an event to attend in Bristol, so took a day off Friday, train to London and then a train to Haywards Heath where Ash kindly picked me up. Drove home to Kent, picked up my Wife and off we went. Got to have been at least 400 miles of driving, so nice long first drive! Clutch feels good and isn’t heavy, but stop/start driving in traffic on the motorway was a challenge. 

Car drove great and didn’t really falter, apart from a small idle issue when pulling to a stop (seems to dip too low and almost stall before returning to normal). Lee and the guys will check the map data for me and hopefully just a small tweak to make it perfect.

Car had a good spot at the show in Bristol and attracted lots of interest, big shout out to Lee, Mike, Ash and the team at SRD for getting it done in time, just need to find some time (and a large open space!) to do some figure of eights to bed the new diff in. 

Cheers all. 

54dabe0e-b249-45b0-9649-288bd20e788a.jpeg

49d78b29-8441-4779-abd6-c3ecb2de04c8.jpeg

7efc819c-b391-4d99-93c4-7d6c02df30c3.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3014.jpeg

IMG_3013.jpeg

IMG_3012.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Morning All,

So small update but makes a big difference in my humble opinion. After the V161 swap the gearshift surround was a slightly darker colour than the rest of the dash panels. Wasn’t awful, but I saw this as a great opportunity to add some more of my beloved carbon. Alan at ABCarbon did the honours once again and it looks superb. Blends so well with the lower glovebox, centre armrest lid and steering wheel piece he did for me previously. All back together and I’m loving how it looks. Huge thanks to Alan, top job once again. 

Here are some photos before, during and after it was reinstalled. Enjoy! 

Cheers guys and gals and hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Pete

841158db-8506-42ab-82c5-3b93c9869e86.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3063.jpeg

IMG_3065.jpeg

IMG_3067.jpeg

IMG_3068.jpeg

IMG_3072.jpeg

IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3094.jpeg

IMG_3095.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HarleyFDMD said:

Looking awesome! Jealous of the v161! I want one!

Thanks mate.

Bit like you with some of your bargains over the years, right place at right time. Unfortunately a good friend damaged his Supra and decided to break it for parts. Managed to bag the V161 and supporting parts for a good price. Main thinking for me was this is now future proofed as once the RPS triple clutch goes in hopefully early next year we can easily take the power levels I’m aiming for. 

It’s odd as with the new diff as well it’s like a totally different/new car. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey Folks,

Figured I was overdue an update on my build. The V161 is working well now thanks to some further tweaks with the throttle by Mike at SRD. No more low speed stall issues. Popped in recently for an MOT and service, all went well and I set off from SRD for home happy with the results. Sadly I didn’t get far before I heard the worst crunching/scraping noise coming from the back of the car. Luckily there was a lay-by so I pulled across and put the hazards on. I literally had no clue what could have happened so I nervously headed to the back of the car and checked underneath. Sure enough the Twin Z diffuser had come loose on one side and dropped to the floor. Thankfully the damage looked minimal, however I was stuck on what to do next. A quick call to Mike at SRD and the lads came to my rescue with zip ties and tools to get the car patched up. Unfortunately it wasn’t an easy roadside repair, but to the lads credit, they managed to zip tie it enough to hold whilst I carefully turned back and headed for SRD. The lads followed me the whole way and we finally made it back to the workshop. Looks like a nut worked loose, and we think that allowed the wind to get behind it and it tore the corner bolt clean out. Huge shoutout to Ash as well, he was due home as his Missus was going out, despite this he helped the lads get me fixed up and even fabricated an extra bracket. I won’t lie and say I wasn’t nervous setting off for the second time, but I needn’t have worried, the guys did a great job as always and I got home without further incident. It’s after moments like this you appreciate how great the guys at SRD are and how much they care. Could easily have said get it recovered, but no, they came out and took care of things. Massive thanks from me and I can’t wait to see you guys in the new year for the next stage.

I’ll give you a clue, it involves the turbo shown (Garrett G40-1150), the Hypertune intake manifold, and a lot of other new bits. Finally going single and turning things up a bit. Won’t be able to go full bore till we do the engine build and change out the cams (hopefully 2025), but hoping for around 700hp which will be a nice gain from BPU. 

Anyway it’s likely that’s it for 2023, got a couple of small jobs I’m going to tackle myself over the Winter, but that brings you guys up to speed for now.

Cheers all.

Pete 

22ff1a9b-8d49-4109-8fe8-b1d24f658c59.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_3393.jpeg

IMG_3396.jpeg

IMG_3395.jpeg

IMG_3388.jpeg

• Like 4