The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra - Progress so far, next steps and build thread

Peter P

Evening All,

Been a bit quiet on here as had a few issues unfortunately. The new wheels won’t clear my K-Sport big brakes sadly, so need to change to U.K. brakes front and rear. I’ve listed my fronts on here so will see how it goes. Hoping to do a swap for some U.K. rears, but not confirmed just yet. 

SRD still have the car as on top of the lack of fuel saga, it’s not running properly and is running rich according to the guys. They tried to get it fixed for me so I could attend Go Japan today, but ran out of time. In fairness it could probably have done the show, but there was no fuel anywhere close to SRD to get me there, so despite 18 months hard work, car didn’t go. 😢

Lee and the guys are going to get back on it tomorrow, so fingers crossed they can figure out what’s causing the rich running and get it fixed. 🙏

I’ll update when I know more. 

• Sad 2

Morning Folks,

So couple of updates. SRD have fitted a new VVT-i pulley as mine was junk and had seized up yet again. Hopefully this will solve the rich running issue I mentioned. 🤞

The guys have been busy as all work done except fitting boost controller, autobox cooler and BOV. None of those are essential for now, and will probably skip the boost controller now as car won’t see a lot of use over the Winter, and will be going back to SRD early next year for the next phase which includes the SYVECS (so that will control boost).

The next phase includes the gearbox conversion and beefed up rear diff, so they can add the gearbox cooler then. Will probably leave the BOV until we do the single conversion hopefully at the beginning of 2023 along with the engine build.

Rear brakes have been swapped out for brand new U.K. specs and these clear the new Works wheels nicely. Notice the new HKS suspension looking all nice and shiney as well. 🙂  Wheels are going to look so good! 

Car is going on the dyno today, so hopefully that goes well and the rich running issue has been solved. I’ll update when I know more. 👍

EA644FB2-C869-4F29-A97E-C507945D0021.jpeg

DEAB4012-77F7-442E-B26C-E3115F6C755B.jpeg

6F44B91F-B383-4C15-8998-7CAB0C676361.jpeg

579B8E86-28DE-44E9-A6D1-443855336CBF.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nathanj1142 said:

where did you get the UK spec brakes from? out of interest. I know TCB could get a hold of them at some point but not sure if he still can.

Hi mate,

Rears were destined for another SRD customer car, but he wanted K-Sport’s which are on back order. So easy swap. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mharvey said:

Car looks fantastic Peter, I am completely in love with the colour!

Shame about the run of bad luck you've been having recently but it certainly looks the part and the rest will fall in to place in no time I'm sure. 

Keep up the updates 🙂

Thanks mate. 👍

Sadly my luck still hasn’t changed. Dyno run didn’t go to plan as the rich running issue is still there. 😢

Getting to the point where I may have to try and find the funds to get the SYVECS done now, may be the only way to pinpoint why it’s not running right, as the guys have tried a bunch of stuff and still not running right. So frustrating especially when it’s basically stock.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Krimi said:

Go go go!!! Rear meisters looks AWESOME. 

Lol, thanks mate. 👍 🙂 

Think my centre caps may have been delivered yesterday as well. Plan was always to run the SYVECS, but wasn’t due to go on till early next year. Given the issues, seems the most logical step to fit this now and get the car running right. 

Had an email from Driftworks, apparently Works expect to have the replacement front ready for December. Just have to hope it can get over from Japan a bit quicker this time. 🤞

6 hours ago, Peter P said:

Lol, thanks mate. 👍 🙂 

Think my centre caps may have been delivered yesterday as well. Plan was always to run the SYVECS, but wasn’t due to go on till early next year. Given the issues, seems the most logical step to fit this now and get the car running right. 

Had an email from Driftworks, apparently Works expect to have the replacement front ready for December. Just have to hope it can get over from Japan a bit quicker this time. 🤞

Not that much time, I go over driftworks and it was a really quick process, less than month and a half I guess. But Work is working fast now!! So lets hope that you receive your replacement wheel asap.

How do you see the center caps?? Are cool right, you just need to paint it no?🙌🏻

4 hours ago, Krimi said:

Not that much time, I go over driftworks and it was a really quick process, less than month and a half I guess. But Work is working fast now!! So lets hope that you receive your replacement wheel asap.

How do you see the center caps?? Are cool right, you just need to paint it no?🙌🏻

Fingers crossed mate. Hopefully not too long for the replacement front wheel. 🤞

It wasn’t the centre caps in the end, we were away for the weekend, and there was a parcel delivered that I answered using our Ring doorbell. Was an Amazon parcel for the Wife! 😉 

Hopefully they will be here soon though and then I can look at getting them painted. 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peter P said:

So small update. SRD managed to get the SYVECS installed and do some basic tuning yesterday on the dyno. Looks like the rich running issue is finally resolved and graph looks good. 🙂 

2349FF94-E0C6-42A8-BE43-3D6C3E72B79E.jpeg

Glad to hear tat its running well now. 

What Mods is it running ? thats a very smooth curve 

1 hour ago, mattdavies said:

Glad to hear tat its running well now. 

What Mods is it running ? thats a very smooth curve 

Thanks. 👍

So it’s pretty much BPU on stock turbo’s mate. Has a SYVECS, 1.2 bar restrictor ring, de-cat pipes, Whifbitz 4’ stainless exhaust, intake kit, 5’ FMIC and uprated fuel pump with colder grade spark plugs. Dyno was at 1 bar so spot on now thanks to the new brain/SYVECS. 🙂 

Morning Folks,

So car is going from strength to strength now it has the new brain controlling things. Mike at SRD was busy tuning the map yesterday and also setting things up so I can run TTC or sequential mode. Notes at the top of the graphs. Works out at roughly 470hp and 400ftbs. Think even SRD are surprised how well it’s making power. 🙂 

Love how smooth the curve is and it’s making power in all the right places. Hopefully not too long till I can go and collect it. 🤞

Big thanks to Lee, Mike, James and the SRD team for getting things working so well. Super pleased. 🙂 

B159B8A2-4D28-4212-9B6A-3B0CDC8AA988.jpeg

6B238D9A-0B14-46AE-84CD-09B00411A040.jpeg

C5DB46B8-6F6D-4F26-BF95-DDD2881439FA.jpeg

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Noz said:

How did mapping the vvti gearbox with syvecs go mate?

Pretty well I think mate, still giving the guys some grief, but think they are getting it figured out. Hopefully won’t be long until the ISF gearbox conversion so they will need to re-do it then anyway. 😉 

I had to pop in to SRD today...whilst I was drooling over my engine bay etc I couldn't help but sneak a peak at your car. 

Next thing I knew I was walking laps around the thing and had forgotten about my car altogether.

It looks SO much better in person, the paint is fantastic.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mharvey said:

I had to pop in to SRD today...whilst I was drooling over my engine bay etc I couldn't help but sneak a peak at your car. 

Next thing I knew I was walking laps around the thing and had forgotten about my car altogether.

It looks SO much better in person, the paint is fantastic.

Thanks Matthew. 🙂 

Made my day reading this, been a true labour of love, but Matt at M H Bodywork did an amazing job with the bodywork and paint. Glad you liked it and I agree it does look a lot better in the metal. Hoping to see it again myself fairly soon. The SYVECS has worked wonders, and it’s almost ready for me to collect according to Lee. Can’t wait! 🙂 

Should be at the GT Tuner Club final show the season event in Reading in two weeks time. Be nice to see how people react to it as there will be some incredible cars attending. 

4 hours ago, Peter P said:

Pretty well I think mate, still giving the guys some grief, but think they are getting it figured out. Hopefully won’t be long until the ISF gearbox conversion so they will need to re-do it then anyway. 😉 

Very cool. Not seen the isf box used. Because you'd have two then lol.

Didn't know could map in the current box setup using syvecs. Srd been doing that long then

1 hour ago, Noz said:

Very cool. Not seen the isf box used. Because you'd have two then lol.

Didn't know could map in the current box setup using syvecs. Srd been doing that long then

I sold/swapped the ISF for the Supra mate, so would be only 1 when I get Lee to fit a new ISF box to my Supra. 😉 

Guessing they’ve done a few now, think it may help mine is no longer tiptronic, went for the Aygo paddle shift conversion, so technically it’s not a tiptronic now. Gather from Lee the gearbox control was still an issue, but think they are getting there with it now. 

1 hour ago, Swampy442 said:

I was gong to go the ISF box route a few years ago, with a single turbo it would make a very fast car

That’s the plan mate. We proved it was a strong box when I supercharged my ISF, the shifts are much quicker as you’d expect for newer technology. Add the SYVECS control and a nice single setup and it should make for quite the package. 👍 🙂 

• Like 3