The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goblin works garage supra on tv

Radio

Just finished watching, wasn't a fan of the wheels and the spoiler did seem like a gimmick. Felt a bit alienated after only 10 mins in especially with the boy-racer comment. The only thing that really peaked my interest were the rear lights and interior re-trim. Shame that they didn't do anything with the engine.

Right Guys, I was involved in the Goblin Works garage Supra, it all started out 18 months ago at the Classic car show down in the NEC Birmingham where we met Jimmy DeVille and got chatting as you do about stuff and Darren( aka Wile ) and myself said why haven't you done a Supra and Jimmy reply was we cannot afford to buy one in the first place and spend the money etc etc then we suggested a doner car to which said that might work and then we contacted JB and the rest is history

They didn't do anything to the engine as the budget wouldn't allow all the money was spent on the body work ( the bodywork was sent to one place who totally foooked it up and they went with the 2nd one after loosing a ton of money on the 1st one ) so the budget was squeezed more

We know its not to everyone taste but we didn't have any influence on the final result ( apart from the rear lights ) but it didn't cost us a penny it was all TV land money

My opinion is its a show stopper it got a lot of attention on the journey down to the NEC and again at the show both old and Young people liked it and its all good for the promotion of the club IMO

Cheers

-Ian-

Yeah i didn't like the end product 100%. The wheels, kit and spoiler are OK but the wrap ruined it for me. But these programs are always needing to make something over the top otherwise they'd just be boring and of course going to be massively scripted.

By far the best thing was the reveal. Any excuse for all the supra club to get together is a good one and i really enjoyed that. Was good seeing my car on the box too.

Any promotion for the club is good these days so im all for it. The car was never going to be to every bodies tastes just like all the cars on here.

The only downside to the episode was them saying they "bought" the car for 8k which never happened. Some people might say that's hurting the market if people think that.

The only downside to the episode was them saying they "bought" the car for 8k which never happened. Some people might say that's hurting the market if people think that.

Anyone here would know you couldn't buy a mechanically and body panel and rust good TT for £8k, even Keron would be mightily aroused by such a deal. Anyone here knows sticking on a body kit, vinyl wrap and a big spoiler wouldn't more than treble the value of any Supra. If anyone who doesn't know the market goes looking for that good body condition running perfectly well TT they would soon find out that in £8k guise just doesn't exist any longer.

It seems the insults to the car syling that are more keenly felt from the "squished catfish" look to it now appearing, "so super dated". Its like they did the car a favour, turning it from a Fiat Multipla type of car icon to something else much more aesthetically pleasing.

Oh dear:blink:

The good things is that the club gets in the forefront for the Supra which can only be a good thing and the interior.

But:-

Bolting on a big wing, wide body kit and wrapping it is just Aahhh! People were doing that during the original F&F films. The cars need sooo much more than that to make the prices they were talking about..

I did laugh at the squat cat fish jibe. Well if you don't like it, don't buy it. Not so sure abouth their criticism of the stock cars out there. If they knew the marque they would know there are very few actual stock cars.

The scripting and actual work on the car was minimal by Goblin works. I do watch the program and they are trying for an identity but they are not achieving one. I know it's quite a few levels above what this production team do but Foose always gets it right with quality cars. I would be surprised if there was a 3rd series

Those blades will never pass a British MOT so why fit them. Again Discovery channel were doing that with American Chopper 20-15 years ago.

Fully understand these things are for TV and to all who put the work in well done it's an advert for MKIV Sup and the club but surely it would have been better spending £20K on improving horses, suspension etc then a tasteful "Goblin style" body make over.

Not for me I'm afraid and a little underwhelmed at the final product.

Watched it and wish I hadn't. Made the cars and those of us that own one sound like chavs who don't know what a good car should look like and then they did THAT to a Supra. Each to their own I suppose but a disappointing watch and don't think it did us (stock) owners any favours :( . Oh and if anyone knows of a good condition eight grand tt please let me know I have a Supra in need of such a cheap upgrade but I think I might be in a BIG queue ;)

Sure anybody here but the program is shown to many more people who are not here

I don't think this will have any noticable affect on the market in the long run. Those naive enough to go around looking to buy £8k Supras will quite quickly find out they can't, which will also inadvertently have the effect of detracting from the show's credibility.

I don't think this will have any noticable affect on the market in the long run. Those naive enough to go around looking to buy £8k Supras will quite quickly find out they can't, which will also inadvertently have the effect of detracting from the show's credibility.

The show has credibility ? any it might of had disappeared with the test drive, that made me cringe, if they'd asked me to do that i'd of declined

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

The show has credibility ? any it might of had disappeared with the test drive, that made me cringe, if they'd asked me to do that i'd of declined

Speaking of which, am I the only one who noticed the front bumper move around as if it were loose on the driver's side during the scene? :rlol:

To be honest, the first time I heard of the show or indeed GWG was when this episode was being billed on the forum...

Edited by Mo Reviews (see edit history)

To start off by insulting anyone with a mkiv that is pretty much stock looking was rather poor and to

repeat it even worse

What was all the bullshit about buying the car then JB test driving it and pretending to buy it

Sorry i'm probably too old school for this stuff but that really was awful to watch, i doubt the wheel

things would pass an mot would they ? looked downright dangerous and as for the wing :blink:

God knows what audience your want to steer this club to if this is the way you think it should go

I agree dnk it was horrible

Well as the proud custodian of this car for the near future let me just have a say!

The programme is TV, pure and simple - a good dose of fantasy BUT, and here's the thing, it was all free and has generated massive interest and discussion of the car, the marque and the club. Ian, Branners and Darren should be thanked for actually getting this done as otherwise the club car would still be sat as it was before and would have for some time. Hell the car isn't to everyone's taste and even I baulked a bit when I first saw it but even stock cars get grief so bearing in mind that there are already a plethora of owners' cars on here we all can't agree on this car was never going to be any different. The turbofans are off and I can't imagine the car would be legal or fun to drive with them on - I think they were just a TV gimmick. Well made though I have to say.

No they didn't do much of the work and yes a load was farmed out but this is a TV programme - 99% of car shows are the same, it's fudged for telly. So casting that aside let's get on to the positive aspects as I think they far outweigh the negative.

The car is a superb talking point and advert for the club and the marque. It has now been liveried up with the club's URL and FB link (thanks to Mark Armitage at Your Final Vinyl for covering the costs on this) and I'm driving it today and will be most days to get it around, get it noticed and get some traffic through this site and the FB page. It's already made a few kids' days as they've sat in it, had photos taken in it and looking at their faces and their parents' faces has made it all worthwhile. It's been on TV! That has to be a plus! The owners club got on TV! Not many owners clubs can boast that. And whilst some may deride the sort of people we want in the club and is this the right car to draw people in I'd remember where we all started. Didn't we drool over cars we couldn't afford and aspire to own them? Have we become that elitist that we see anybody like this as chavy and not worthy of our time?

I'll put some pics up of the car up now it's got the decals on. I guess most of you will be very happy it's not sat on your drive. I'm proud to have it on mine.

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

Very well noted!!!

I think Supra owners (though we all like to have our say and rightly so) some of you are missing the point.......????

Any Supra that’s televised only broadens the spectrum of potential owners!!!

Magazines such as Max Power, Jap Performance, Banzai etc brought the external world into the internal Japanese market. Pretty much every Jap car featured, not only bumped up the price of that car and gave it its moment of glory, but it also lit the fuse of encouragement and curiosity for future Jap cars which in turn bumped up the pricing market and tempted the curiosity of many interested buyers!!

If that wasn’t good enough......then ‘Fast & Furious’ certainly was.....!!!

Remember when that Supra first came to the screen with its out worldly graphics and orange peel paintwork....??? I remember a lot of owners saying ‘Yuk’ to the body kit and graphics.....Funny how that very same ‘Yukky looking’ Supra has now made all Supra’s totally iconic, no matter what their body kits or decals resemble!!

Our Supra’s are now the most video’d and talked about cars on the www. Our car prices have soared insurmountably with one selling in the States early last year or the year before, for $173,000 on 11,000miles!!

The average price of a standard Twin Turbo is high teens to mid twenties depending on mileage, condition, manual or auto, with built rides selling for north of £25k up to £50k - Export your car to the States and built rides go for in excess of $100,000......

So to knock a Supra that’s been on TV and of which will eventually be seen worldwide, therefore increasing its value, status, interest, curiosity, potential buyers and greater viewing prospect, wouldn’t be dissimilar to what those owners said when they first saw that Supra on ‘Fast & Furious’......!!!!

DON’T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!!! :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Edited by jazzy69 (see edit history)

I bought my Supra in 90's so I'm pretty sure I never bought it because it was going to be on Fast and Furious one day and that meant I wasn't going to actually lose 95% of the purchase price in depreciation.

Stepping aside from the looks of the GWG Supra entirely this programme basically angled in on what an ugly car that they were starting out with thar was wearing its 90's heritage pretty badly with its so dated looks. I cannot recally any magzine article I have ever read on the Mkiv Supra starting out like that. Universally, those all seem to go for how well the design has stood the trials of time. But as you say thats television, and they were obviously just after exaggerating the transformation from an ugly duckling into the finished article.

As said it's TV, Goblin works aren't classic restorers they are 'out there' modifiers so it was always going to be er 'out there'. Supra mods have split opinions over the decades, wide bodies especially so and the bog standard look was always 'ok' but not revered as such by all.

If that old watchdog guy was doing a restoration like he did on that etype then it would all be about retaining the Supra's classic lines and timeless curves etc!

What I have experienced over the years in the club is an overall acceptance of difference, almost an indifference to difference if you like, not just in cars but walks of life, there seems to always be less pretence/showiness/one-upmanship in the people I met even if they have a very showy car! Some might be more purist some might modify endlessly, some have 700bhp some 220, some focus on the drive, others on the looks or stance, but there has always been a live and let live/down to earth vibe, long may that last.

Would Branners or Ellis given the same budget have made a nicer car, probably yes but they didn't so you kinda get what your given if it's for free so adding that all up it's a good deal, TV appearances for some, advertising for the club and a refresh club car, a win win win?

I must actually get off my arse and get to some meets this year.

Cold light of day Photos, it all goes together well. A few long posts about how it improves the club is all very true and I understood the project and product. Though as rider says, kicking it first to make more of it might be just the tv way, but it’s not gonna keep viewers for long.

Ellis do you have to pull a table cloth off it each time you use it shouting “tada” [emoji847]