The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.topgear.com/car-reviews/toyota/supra/30-pro-3dr-auto/first-drive%3famp

Love the fact people will go to the effort to scan the perhaps only controversial (but nonetheless no less valid) opinion about the Mk5 and ignore everything else online or in print.

The UK Top Gear review available online was very favourable. Nostalgia has romanced the initial Mk4 opinions back in the 1990s which were frankly poor and I have most of the original magazine articles. The reception the mk5 has initially received from nearly all publications is far better including USA.

My UK car was used for filming by Top Gear last week so I got to drive the new Supra (and Z4), IMO the new car is a fabulous modern recreation of a modern Supra. Let’s rejoice it even exists. The mk5 isn’t perfect but neither was the mk4.

Edited by Rsb (see edit history)

Such a long time between models it was always going to be polarising. Like the Mkiv, time will tell how it turns out, to many both are just some Toyota.

I hope it's really popular in Japan and we get the same heavy depreciation in 3-7 years as we did with the Mkiv. Anyone know how it's been received there? Do they mind about the German influence, perhaps they like it?

Rear end doesn't look a patch on previous model .

as Scooter said comparisons between cars 25 years apart from launch are largely irrelevant but everyone entitled to their opinion. Looks of the Mk4 itself are polarising even with owners. At the TG shoot, some

Modified cars turned up with TG wanting to a piece as part of the production about the changeability of them but stock is best (their words but we will see). A lot of the owners of the modified cars could be heard saying how ‘sh#t’ the stock car looked so even Mk4 owners disagree on their cars so the Mk5 has no chance :-)

A lot of people thought Mk4 wing was ridiculous when it came out but now iconic to many. I think new Supra looks great in the flesh, looks like nothing else and only a Jap car company could put their name to something so wacky.

Edited by Rsb (see edit history)

Hard to argue with the Supra's performance when it's compared to some nice, more expensive cars inside the same client base

It's like Toyota have done the old "gentlemen's agreement" and sandbagged it's numbers again

:cool:

Hard to argue with the Supra's performance when it's compared to some nice, more expensive cars inside the same client base

It's like Toyota have done the old "gentlemen's agreement" and sandbagged it's numbers again

:cool:

the B58 engine is so tuneable aswell so will be very interesting to see how a little remap and downpipe will fair

the B58 engine is so tuneable aswell so will be very interesting to see how a little remap and downpipe will fair

Probably not as well as the 2jz everyone's going to be swapping.

Quite interesting how they are going to work on the heritage line. Perhaps they are starting up the 2jz operations so it can be a swappable engine!!

Now that's a very interesting comparison to see! Especially comparing it against the M2 Comp, praised by pretty much everyone who's driven it as being one of the best M cars in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a really good day:

After registration we jumped straight in to the new Supra and spent about 30mims driving on the road

Few laps on the skid pan in a GT86

20min presentation on all the techy stuff which was quite interesting.

Hot lap (very hot) as a passenger with a professional taking you round. Then 20ish mins driving on the track.

Then a good lunch and leave when you want :)

Had a really good day:

After registration we jumped straight in to the new Supra and spent about 30mims driving on the road

Hot lap (very hot) as a passenger with a professional taking you round. Then 20ish mins driving on the track.

Sounds good!

I'm down on Weds AM so I'm glad you had what sounds like a great experience.

Had a really good day:

Sounds looking forward to tomorrow now

Did you see my Mkiv Uk tt6 as you entered?