The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

Not sure why anyone is surprised, the M140i was already running those times with a remap and this is basically the same platform.

You merely need to follow ANY B58 platform to see what this car will do so there’s nothing new to come i suspect

Didn’t Toyota strip the engine stress test and upgrade parts also extra water cooling, even so it’s still impressive on a stock motor and turbo I’ve seen plenty of 600/700hp singles at pod struggle to get 11s

Didn’t Toyota strip the engine stress test and upgrade parts also extra water cooling, even so it’s still impressive on a stock motor and turbo I’ve seen plenty of 600/700hp singles at pod struggle to get 11s

Near 2 year old tech:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49750

It’s been done and the rumours are true Toyota did test some parts but they had very little to no input really and it’s exactly the same engine in all B58 cars

Near 2 year old tech:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49750

It’s been done and the rumours are true Toyota did test some parts but they had very little to no input really and it’s exactly the same engine in all B58 cars

Not a fan of the A90 styling at all but you cannot knock the gains. Take the M240i B58 for example and the Big Boost kit and I quote:

BigBoost's car: BMW M240i

Stage 3.4 turbo

Current B58 record holder: ̶5̶3̶4̶, ̶5̶6̶3̶, ̶5̶7̶1̶. Currently: 711 WHP

5.41 100-200

10.85 @ 135 1/4 mile

....so that’s running a far larger turbo system with over 700rwhp and getting a shade less 1/4 than an A90 with a downpipe, tune, MT tyres and some higher octane fuelling. That alone says the platform of the A90 is going to be pretty special once others have modified more extensively. I’m actually really looking forward to seeing what these beasts can do, even if I have no plans to ever get one.

Not a fan of the A90 styling at all but you cannot knock the gains. Take the M240i B58 for example and the Big Boost kit and I quote:

BigBoost's car: BMW M240i

Stage 3.4 turbo

Current B58 record holder: ̶5̶3̶4̶, ̶5̶6̶3̶, ̶5̶7̶1̶. Currently: 711 WHP

5.41 100-200

10.85 @ 135 1/4 mile

....so that’s running a far larger turbo system with over 700rwhp and getting a shade less 1/4 than an A90 with a downpipe, tune, MT tyres and some higher octane fuelling. That alone says the platform of the A90 is going to be pretty special once others have modified more extensively. I’m actually really looking forward to seeing what these beasts can do, even if I have no plans to ever get one.

I don’t doubt that at all. I just think there are no surprises, as above, we already know it’s going to put down serious power.

My problem is that they called it a Supra when it’s just another B58 platformed car. Even the chassis are all the same, just reeks of laziness and abuse of the badge.

Ive no doubt It’ll be fast but it won’t be as reliable and it’s all BMWs platform so Toyota have nothing to be praised for [emoji2371]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

biggest shame is that it wasn't possible (or I missed) to give some input to the development.

I've driven one, really like the head up display speedo and it had plenty of engine oomph in the rain for normal driving, but I personally would buy one due to a long list of personal irritants, mainly interior linked for me.

I saw the Fifth Gear "review" last night and have to say, I think they unfairly bashed on about the BMW aspect way too much and should've just evaluated it for the car it is.

I'm giving serious thought to spending the savings and buying something more extravagant next year and it wouldn't be fair not to consider the Zupra.

So...I went for a nice long test drive on various roads today.

It was very slippy and without driving too crazy I got it to step out a few times, but the traction aids in Sport mode are nicely done so as not to be too invasive and spoil the fun. I slammed it all the way around a roundabout and got it to understeer which wasn't nice, but it soon got back to oversteer with a firm throttle prod. "Please don't do that again" was the response from the sales guy.

Incidentally, they dealer demos are all owned by Toyota who have them on a tracker and monitor if you're exceeding the speed limits. I'm told they will bollock the dealers if they abuse them.

I found it very refined, almost too much as it got to 100 very quickly and didn't feel like that at all. Bit of a "license loser" then. Very smooth and stable.

Was it exciting though? Hmmm....With the kit car and MX5 I find myself preferring lightweight sensibly powered cars which you can enjoy on the roads without getting into too much trouble, so I find these more exciting. This Supra overtook cars with ease, accelerated and munched through the 8 gears super quickly. Maybe I would've enjoyed it more on a nice dry day and I'd want to reserve final judgment until doing that.

I've not driven many BMWs so my view wasn't tainted by that. I liked it had all the essential cabin toys including wireless CarPlay (which BMW doesn't have apparently? I've not verified this). Seats are lovely, very adjustable and comfortable. Visibility which I thought would be poor from sitting in stationary ones was fine on the roads.

Overall I thought it was a nice, well sorted car. But is it worth £55k? Maybe I'm out of touch, but it feels overpriced.

At this price I'd also be looking at used 911's or a new Alpine A110 - both which won't fall in value much.

Or maybe I'll just keep the MX5 which they valued really well as a trade in and the three sales guys regaled me with how great it was - the condition of mine and fun to drive in general.

I went last month on a tour of the Morgan Car factory in Malvern. You get to walk through all the production centres starting off in the chassis centre where all the suspension parts are added to the frame. Morgan do make their own control arms, I saw them pressing in the bushes. The rest is bought in and the setup looked a pretty standard configuration. The Ford or BMW engines are fitted along with respectively a Ford or Getrag gearbox. Then onto the body and carpentry shops. This is where all the activity really is with craftsmen fettling and sculpting parts out of wood and aluminium. By far the most interesting part of the tour. Finally the body parts and rolling chassis with drive gear are joined and it's off to the paint shop (you aren't allowed in there). Then final interior and exterior trim fit and ready for sale.

I left the works thinking that Morgan Cars isn't actually a car company, its a coach builder.

Prices in USA are;

BMW Z4: $50.695.

Zupra: $52, 695.

$2,000 (£1,500) more.

Which exposes that Toyota U.K. are extracting the urine by an inexcusable £17,224.

Part of the difference will be tax levied by the country its being sold in, 15 % more here i think

than the USA depending which state your in