The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

The Z4 is a good looking car, I just wish the front end was a bit more aggressive. Odd why the Supra front end is taller than the BWM considering they're supposed to have the same engines? Different tech perhaps?

For the benefit of blind old wives. :shrug:

I asked Mk4Gaz to enquire re. the "A90" code and he reported back.

"Apparently, the engine was a BMW unit, but they assured us that the final version will be a Toyota power plant, and this engine was only for the demo model."

So maybe it will get a next gen 2J lump?

:yeahthat:

It must be so difficult to work on a project for such a long time, poor your heart and soul into it and then a bunch of people rip into it before they've even seen it properly or understand the specs.

The more I squint through its disguise and think about how he is focusing on the drivability of this car, the more I'm really starting to warm to it.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/have-a-look-at-the-prototype-supras-engine.1357/

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/openhood-01-jpg.8116/

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/openhood-02-jpg.8117/

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/openhood-03-jpg.8118/

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/openhood-04-jpg.8119/

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/openhood-06-jpg.8125/

I think most people were heavily anticipating the B58, which certainly doesn't come as a dissappointment assuming there's been some good tinkering from Toyota.

The constant references from Toyota about premium models to come in the future strongly suggests the S58 will be coming as an option, as BMW haven't quite finished with it and it certainly won't appear in a Toyota before the M3. Seems very likely we could see a manual if the BMW cars earmarked for the S58 are also offered in Manual, perhaps somebody else can weigh in on that.

I've heard a big mixed bag about B58 tuning capabilities, would love to hear more about them if somebody here knows the deal. Something about big tuning potential but layout means making good power is completely/deliberately shut down by BMW? Also can't say it looks like an engine a 'weekend mechanic' could fiddle with... I'm borderline useless with a wrench but even to me the 2JZ just looks so welcoming to toy with.

Fingers crossed though!

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

The concern will be whether the introduction of the new Supra, in its lower performance guise, will be detrimental to its success.

It's likely that many people will hold off buying one on first release in the hope of buying the high spec car at a later date. Then, given possibly low sale figures, will Toyota actually feel it viable to manufacture the higher performance model? I suppose it all depends as to how far they are away from releasing a high performance model and how different it will be from the other models.

As usual, it's still all just speculation upon boring speculation.

If it comes out around the same power as the 240i (340PS) then that'll be ok for most UK driving. The biggest issue I think will be whether the new one has a better or worse power to weight than the MkIV, you don't really want to get your arse handed to you by a 25 year old stock jap import...

[video=youtube;is78Rc-huyo]

Google Translate - Alain Dujardin-Toyota Gazoo Racing said:

Yes it actually plays a pretty important role because we actually started, new to Europe as well, with our motorsport activities. We are in the WRC rally, very important for the sale of the Yaris. Then of course we also have excellent results in Le Mans. For many years, finally tried number one. And we can immediately link these motorsport activities to the car market. For this we use the Toyota Gazoo Racing procedure. This is our new brand for sports car activities and the Supra is of course the flagship for this new activity. In Europe and the world. So the still stealthy Supra makes his first laps on the track of the festival. It's a really pure sports car. It's quite different from the GT 86 where we had to pay more attention to economic procedures and still have a vehicle that really gives driving pleasure. But this vehicle is of course something else. It is very extreme in driving conditions. We really tried to get the best out of it. Which of course is the claim, because we want to bring the past of the Supra back on the market. Construction is in cooperation with BMW. Under the hood is a 6-cylinder in-line engine and that's of course historically important, because the Supra was always present with a series 6-cylinder. In terms of performance, the Supra should offer more than 450 hp. The production starts early next year and you can expect the car in the summer, at the dealers in Germany.

450hp would be about right. That's got to be well into GTR power to weight territory. An 8 speed would see that put to good use, particularly if the torque availability is similar to the BMW cars. As much as I'd rather it was a Toyota power plant, those BMW 6 cylinders feel very much like an NA engine to drive.

Here is the latest from insider A70.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/have-a-look-at-the-prototype-supras-engine.1357/page-17#post-22715

Finally heard back a few mins ago when I was away from a computer, but the engine in the Goodwood car is indeed the iron block engine refined by Toyota and ex-Yamaha powertrain engineers.

It was also stressed that trims and aesthetics are not yet finalized.

And there was something else, but I'll have to go back through later to see if I can find it; something about the 4cyl.

(Remember though, that my information is not to be relied upon in any way and is worthless)

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/have-a-look-at-the-prototype-supras-engine.1357/page-18#post-22723

I don't think so, I think it is only the iron block I6. I haven't heard of that expertise being applied anywhere else.

----------------------------------------------

I found out some specific new things about the 4cyl, but it was my eyes only unfortunately. Still no word on if US is getting it or not though.

EDIT: they did mention in a roundabout way about getting the Toyota 86 for $20k less though (hint hint)

Why is that good? Iron is heavier than alloy and will significantly impact the handling.

The article and following discussion mention that it will be a CGI iron block, which is a compromise between solid iron and aluminium. Furthermore, any weight gain is likely to be offset by the GRMN variant having carbon parts to reduce weight.

Why is that good? Iron is heavier than alloy and will significantly impact the handling.

Dont think it'll be an issue, the guys whole design philosophy is about handling, the car has a lower center of gravity than the LFA I think and is as rigid... would surprise me if the engine itself was mounted right back. to make it as central as possible, by looking at the previous pics.