The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

That website is stating 17 inch wheels? This cannot be serious? The one we saw had 255 wide up front and 275 at back on 19s or something like that.
Your right bud that is exactly what we saw.

There is so much flying around since goodwood, it is truly hard to know what is official and what is not.

Blimey the final specs and model variants have not even be officially released and we have people saying they are going to put a 2JZ in the MK5 :blink::blink: remember its not being officially released until 2019.... 2019!!

I am starting to feel embarrassed in front of Toyota now, this is making the Supra community look like a bunch of feckless morons. ffs putting a 25 year old, heavy iron breather in the modern version of the car... come on.. anyone who winds up doing that is clearly a moron.

We don't know half of the final details or what they have planned. If the new rendering images are close to the final thing then that is not a bad thing, I personally quite like the look... but will have to see the final car in the flesh (not with a load of camo on it) and see what styling options there are for it.

That website is stating 17 inch wheels? This cannot be serious? The one we saw had 255 wide up front and 275 at back on 19s or something like that.

It wouldn't surprise me if say the inline 4 had 17's and the others had larger wheels to make the overall package of the top of the line more attractive?

I am starting to feel embarrassed in front of Toyota now, this is making the Supra community look like a bunch of feckless morons. ffs putting a 25 year old, heavy iron breather in the modern version of the car... come on.. anyone who winds up doing that is clearly a moron.

Slightly surprised from you given your car and mods?

If you take the 4 pot one and convert it and if the 2JZ isn't massively overweight compared to the I6 engines being used then it's not moronic as such. A waste of time/money perhaps but then if everyone took that view you'd be unlikely to own the car you have now!? :)

Some chill pillage required all round here I think, how it drives will be a big (the biggest?) thing and we are definitely going to have to wait a long time for that to be a known, just exciting that Toyota are dipping into the interesting car production again.

Honestly I thought Toyota would do what Nissan did with the GTR and redesign it all. New engine (V6 twin turbo wouldn’t be a bad thing), new chassis and interior but keep the name. Putting in a 2JZ is actually pointless, though I’ve no doubt it will get done. That’s what the MKIV is for, we need something new.

I kind of feel they have conceded a bit too much on the prototype. Whether this is the engineers or managements decision, I’m not sure, but it’s pretty obvious almost all of the underneath of the car is bmw. Even some of the interior. If it’s just a reshelled Z4 it won’t be worthy of the supra name.

However, I’m still personally hopeful that we will get something decent in some shape or form. Whether thats a road going GR race concept version or whether they will be bringing a higher powered version in the shape of the GRMN, either of those options would be interesting.

The base spec 4 cylinder is clearly to maximise sales as I doubt any enthusiast is interested in that option. we should all be looking for the GRMN as that will tell us everything we need to know on release

I asked Mk4Gaz to enquire re. the "A90" code and he reported back.

"Apparently, the engine was a BMW unit, but they assured us that the final version will be a Toyota power plant, and this engine was only for the demo model."

So maybe it will get a next gen 2J lump?

If it has a 335i based BMW engine, it is very tuneable. There are several cars with 600-800hp with stock internals. There are some drawbacks if its also direct injection as you need to put a second fuel system in it to make lots of hp.

I am also hoping it will be a Toyota power unit like I6/V6 TT or V8 TT but we will see.

If there will be a 4 cylinder engine will most likely be a base model like the Supra had normally aspirated version previously

Edited by Krister (see edit history)

I understand, the crazy thing thing is that the engineer himself seemed to have advised those wishing to do so, to buy the 4cyl as it'd be an easier job! I mean who looks at a new car to then go back to old tech lol. MKIV people just wanted a car that'd be all conquering I guess.

Slightly surprised from you given your car and mods?

If you take the 4 pot one and convert it and if the 2JZ isn't massively overweight compared to the I6 engines being used then it's not moronic as such. A waste of time/money perhaps but then if everyone took that view you'd be unlikely to own the car you have now!? :)

Some chill pillage required all round here I think, how it drives will be a big (the biggest?) thing and we are definitely going to have to wait a long time for that to be a known, just exciting that Toyota are dipping into the interesting car production again.

I am not sure I catch your drift, My Supra has the same engine it was born with? Yes it has had a huge amount of work done on it and its still being developed :) (money pit) to make it a fast circuit car, If you are talking about modding to make the car unique or to change its original purpouse, then that is different.

What I am talking about is people for example taking the new 4 pot Supra and putting a 25 year old 2JZ in it and then calling it better, it simply isnt, just go for the larger engine??

I understand, the crazy thing thing is that the engineer himself seemed to have advised those wishing to do so, to buy the 4cyl as it'd be an easier job!

Yeah I heard he said that, I'm guessing his reply was in a sort of exasperated way rather than actual advice though.

I know I would be. If I was chief designer/engineer who had been working on the car for probably the last 5 years and had some random say put a 2JZ in it, I would probably come out with something similar as him but probably wouldnt be able to hide the sarcasm :)

In my personal opinion I think Toyota have done this soft launch because they don't know how to market the car due to the current Supra ownership, its a mixture of people who have one either because they are enthusiasts or people who have one because they can now afford a MKIV due to its age.

Just think, if there were iterations of the Supra every 5 years or so then there would be an established market and Toyota would know exactly what to do in terms of spec, design etc as they would have an established customer base with lots of feedback etc.

Its been 17 years since the last Supra rolled out of the factory. Since then the car has gotten older and the type of person who now owns the car is very different to the original buyer.

Let me explain, when the car was new you had new buyers with money buying the car at RRP, after a few years you start to get people who couldn't afford a new one buy second hand off people who could afford them new and so on and so fourth.

There has been more than 20 years of that. So now the customer "base" for the MKIV Supra is for people who realistically would never have been able to afford a new Supra when it was launched, I know very few who bought a Supra new and still have it.

Now I cant say that for all Supra owners, an awful lot of us are enthusiasts and will spend more looking after or modding the MKIV than buying a new car (I know I do) but I would say that the majority of current Supra owners bought the Supra because its a damn nice car and now its at the price point of being affordable.

So can you see Toyota's problem, how do they market this car, do they pander to the masses who could not afford to purchase a new Supra anyway or do they try something new to bring in the first buyers of the Supra (i.e the ones that sold them more than 12-15 years ago).

If it were me, then I would do a soft launch - Like they have, that is listen to feedback from both types of customer i.e the masses and the enthusiasts (hence goodwood and a separate launch for the club) and then build plans on how to keep both the new buyers happy but also keep the car desirable to those who cant afford it now but will be able to in 5 years time say. I am guessing we will see 2 or 3 "normal models" with different trim and engine options (to pander to all markets) and some sort of Special Edition GR version perhaps a year later - Which is the one you will want to buy.

The first half of 2019 is still quite a way away... lots can happen in terms of styling, power etc.. Put it this way if Toyota were 100% happy with the car and it was going to remain the same "look" and not be changed.. why put it in Camo..

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

I am not sure I catch your drift, My Supra has the same engine it was born with? Yes it has had a huge amount of work done on it and its still being developed :) (money pit) to make it a fast circuit car, If you are talking about modding to make the car unique or to change its original purpouse, then that is different.

What I am talking about is people for example taking the new 4 pot Supra and putting a 25 year old 2JZ in it and then calling it better, it simply isnt, just go for the larger engine??

I simply mean it's the sort of Supra way anything modding wise goes, no different to adding a veilside kit to a nearly new Mkiv, to some it was no doubt bonkers at the time, I spose I just reacted to the moronic tag as it could be levelled at lots of mods we all accept as part and parcel of the scene that's all :)

I simply mean it's the sort of Supra way anything modding wise goes, no different to adding a veilside kit to a nearly new Mkiv, to some it was no doubt bonkers at the time, I spose I just reacted to the moronic tag as it could be levelled at lots of mods we all accept as part and parcel of the scene that's all :)

Fair enough, perhaps moron was too harsh to use to get my point across. We are always going to get people doing things that are unexpected and out of the usual line of thinking and that is fine, but I got the impression that putting a 2JZ in a new Supra was a Knee Jerk reaction and it needed to be quashed as quickly as possible as something simply stupid to do :D