The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

I bet Toyota are pissed about this. Pretty much the entire car released before they wanted

/QUOTE]

Well thats what they get for sharing with another company who dosent put as much security into their secrecy of new vehicles. This whole bmw and toyota thing is a total failure to me as they used it for the supra, toyotas flagship car. If it were a prius or a aygo...cool. But for the whole design of the supra. Toyota have really lost their touch. Ive seen it without the camo to and its very very poor.

Well thats what they get for sharing with another company who dosent put as much security into their secrecy of new vehicles. This whole bmw and toyota thing is a total failure to me as they used it for the supra, toyotas flagship car. If it were a prius or a aygo...cool. But for the whole design of the supra. Toyota have really lost their touch. Ive seen it without the camo to and its very very poor.
Cool when did you get to see it out of camo?

Kind of understand the feeling but I’m hoping the GRMN edition will save it. I know it’s optimistic but I’d hate to see nothing good come from this.

It's not a very special car.

I almost cried when Tada said it wasn't a sports car and that Toyota weren't interested in figures.

It's the GT86 all over again. Trying to say that some sublime handling will somehow compensate for it's otherwise underwhelming everything else.

The article I read a few weeks back with Tada said that he only hoped a GRMN version would be made. So at that point it wasn't planned. I would suspect Toyota will wait to see what sales are like before deciding to invest more.

Whilst the reviews have been generally positive, they are not glowing. Essentially at £50K would you buy the Porsche Cayman or this? I know where the smart money would go.

I keep hearing "when people put a 2jz in it"

Sure some people who are just track might do such a thing, but is anybody who wants a road car going to do it? surely the car would never pass an MOT with the changed emissions from the 2jz etc.

Sure some people who are just track might do such a thing, but is anybody who wants a road car going to do it? surely the car would never pass an MOT with the changed emissions from the 2jz etc.

It's a good point. Only a move for a hardcore fanatic!!

Would need a friendly MOT place I would think for sure.

Definately a very niche option, albeit possibly the only way to make the car the way it should have been in my opinion. Well, to be fair I would have thought an all new version of the 2j would have been the benchmark that Toyota should have been aiming for. A GTR beater!

I think its just a load of noise tbh, this new MKV drivetrain will deliver a quicker than BPU performance and with better handling in the mix, its more than enough for 90% of existing Supra owners I'm sure. Does everyone drive everywhere flat out? No :)

Perhaps its the potential that seems more limited than before.. Im sure when JAP/US/UK tuners get to it we'll see some real monsters.

Personally I want to know what is going to make it stand out from the existing BMW range.. what really differentiates it from the new Z4, 240i, M2 + Competition etc

Most disappointing. I think when prices drop on them, they will be a prime candidate for 2jz implantation and some serious work. If nothing else to show Toyota what they could have done.

Anyone who puts a 2J in this chassis is beyond retarded and should be openly mocked for their idiocy.

Personally I want to know what is going to make it stand out from the existing BMW range.. what really differentiates it from the new Z4, 240i, M2 + Competition etc

Essentially I think this is the same for me. Toyota have built a car in an otherwise uninspiring slot in the car market, where there is already considerable competition. So nothing immediately impressive like the GT-R.

So then we are left asking what can this car give that other cars in the same bracket don't?

Unfortunately I think the answer is nothing.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

At least if anyone was to ever ask you-

“Hey, what do you drive?”

You can say- “A Supra”.

When they say- “What the new one?”

You can say- “No, the real one!!”.... :sly:

Hell yes! Werid one but the successor is no match for its predecessor. And thats a fact.

No spoiler. Targa option. Or cockpit style dash. Is a automatic no for me. Typical bmw crap dash.

The lack of the active spoiler from the FT-1 is a huge let down to be honest. I'm not hugely concerned about the engine being a BMW, but what I am concerned about is the fact that everything except the top spec is going to be a 4 cylinder. The Supra is supposed to be Toyota's halo car and we've got the range options from a 3 series. It had better be running BMW engine management, or nobody will be able to retune it from the factory, which gives a significant advantage to the Z4. Everything about the new Supra says "built to a tight budget" rather than "let's blow the competition out of the water". The handling may well be great, but if you're still going to get smoked by someone with a chipped 330d when you're on a dual carriageway, what's the point?

I so wanted to believe this would be good and the feel of it (even with some BMW hardware) would match the MKIV but there’s no way that can happen now. Sitting and looking at a BMW interior is the final nail in the coffin in my opinion. Unless they do a GRMN version that is DRASTICALLY different then it’s a let down, which I doubt they will due to cost...

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

I think we just need to wait until its out and then make decisions on the facts rather than all the smoke and mirrors rubbish that Toyota are doing at the moment.

If Toyota have hyped the car up too much then not only would they have shot themselves in the foot massively, they will be forced to either bring a replacement model out within 3 years or completely can the project completely.

We know there are going to be at least 3 engine choices and possibly a Super-sport (Gazoo Road Racing) version of it, probably a year after the release date.

This is so they can resell it to the public with a more aggressive race inspired styling, carbon, higher HP and all the niggles ironed out.

Yep the Styling is a little odd and its a little more GT86 then we would like, does not mean this will be the only new Supra Toyota produce from 2019 onwards.

Didn't I hear that the blasted camo wrap is coming off this month anyway?

This is what was apparently spied as the new BMW’s interior (I believe it’s actually the new Supra interior):

D8E59D1F-3C9B-4744-B351-E88B96D8B729.jpg

Because this is the new bmw interior:

5E43EBD3-5697-4939-A419-473355E7906F.jpeg

To be honest the differences are minimal but honestly I hate it, BMW interiors have alsways been boring.