The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

I really enjoyed the event and it was great getting to put some faces to the forum names.

Thoughts on the car, I’d say watch this space, as I’m fairly certain a few changes will be made before final production. The front end is a little bulbous with the camo on, but when compared to the racing concept you can see how lines could work with a wide front profile.

I got a good look around the LC500 and it’s more of a “strawberry’s and cream” affair than I’d like to see for the Supra, 6series would probably be the equivalent size.

I guess most cars these days are much bigger than their predecessors, whereas this concept is roughly the same length but not as wide, we’ll at least to the eye.

The engine in the concept was a naturally aspirated I6, but this was clearly just to get the concept mobile. The team at the stand basically confirmed the same, I6 3.0ltr Twin Turbo.

Interior looked very BMW from the infotainment side of things, although the dash and arm rests remind me of the current Lexus style layout. The interior will be subject to change I’m sure, no wrap around dash spotted.

Still a fair bit of work to do I’d say, but I’m not totally against it at this point. Chassis and handling should be on point, but the rest we will just have to wait and see.

I guess they don’t know where to go with the car : so keep options open , use marketing for feedback , press and people and internet then finalise the spec .

There is no point offering a car no one wants , and the competition is fierce in this area .

The gap in time between the mkiv and this is large and no brand loyalty to fall back on ie updated tweeks to the original over the years.

So something like say an Audi TT-RS has to be bettered : £50k , 400 hp , four wheel drive , magnetic shocks, good build quality and interior, some high tech in the mix - ultimately 0-60 circa 3.6 sec and 180 mph - 11 sec qtr mile

Aftermarket stage 1/2/3 adds 100-200 hp and an ever growing list of hardware , tuning access for torque limiters , and engine control not hidden in algorithms to make life too hard .

To be blunt is the new offering going to spank a 600hp Audi TT-RS and for how much ? Or Alfa

Or Porsche or ...

Who wants to come second??

They should be scared. They put the FT-1 out, which looked like a genuine halo car and potential GTR competitor and now we've got something more akin to an MX5 doing the hill climb at Goodwood. It's not as if Toyota group aren't doing anything good either, the LC-F concept is what the Supra should be sharing a platform with. Hell, even the RC-F is better than what we've seen this week. Lexus are allegedly working on a twin turbo v8 for their top end cars, while Toyota are borrowing off BMW. How hard would it have been to put some money into a 3.5 2GR-FSE turbo iteration to compete with a GTR? An engine that will already mate with their top end 8 speed auto and a 6 speed manual, without them having to spend any money.

I genuinely do not get how Toyota are saving money on development costs here; Lexus have everything they need to produce an exciting Toyota based car and they are down the road in Japan. How did someone at Toyota think "I know, I'll get on a plane to friggin GERMANY and we can talk about the next top of the range sports car". The LC platform had already been developed, I can't believe we couldn't have had the same arrangement the MK4 had with the Soarer, which used a lot of the same floor plan.

None of the decisions Toyota has made make any sense to me at all.

Why would they want to compete with the GTR? The Z / Fairlady line is what Supras have always competed against.

I guess they don’t know where to go with the car : so keep options open , use marketing for feedback , press and people and internet then finalise the spec .

Given the reception that many so called enthusiasts have given the car, I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota decide against selling it in this market.

The UK market is small so a good test area for feedback , the reception is down to Toyota marketing and product design ,

Not enthusiasts , wishy washy part information and press releases that say very little , even now no one knows the specs , how can anyone get enthusiastic over something with so little information .

As a £50 k car it’s competing with every sporty car including the GTR ,all the sports cars do , TT-RS is a fast as a Ferrari or faster ......Toyota....... go and compete !!

Yesteryear is history.....make new history now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228225[/ATTACH]

Love that picture.

I think this car will have a few surprises when it comes out and it will be something relatively affordable. No - not a super car, but something with lots of grins.

GT86 was a great drive, biggest complaint? It was underpowered. I expect this will fit that bill.

In a way, I'm thinking it's a mistake to have teased it as is because you really can't get a decent impression of what it will finally be.

I'm going to guess between £35k and £50k with the top options.

Cool - they were quite responsive when I messaged :)

Liking the look of this:

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/07/2.png

This is the updated rendering. According to inside source this is the closest to the real thing.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/new-unconfirmed-details-and-specifications-of-us-spec-mkv-supra.1306/

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/newrendering-png.7035/

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/newrendering2-png.7045/

This is the updated rendering. According to inside source this is the closest to the real thing.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/new-unconfirmed-details-and-specifications-of-us-spec-mkv-supra.1306/

Love that I think allot of people are jumping the gun regarding the looks ,the camo works really well so it’s to hard to tell , set of coilovers, volks, Apr spoiler it will be :cool:

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

I think that looks good in its own right, wheels help of course in those pics. It looks more bulky and aggressive than the sleekness of FT-1.. I guess this is where a lot of the gripes have come from FT-1 fans. The fact it is running on Michelin Super Sport rubber is a good sign ;)

To me, the FT-1 just looks longer/sleeker really. Thats pretty much it.

Toyota video up now of the event on Friday:

https://www.facebook.com/toyotauk/videos/10155430030722633/[/url]

Just read that there will be a 4-cyl 260 bhp version according the Chief Engineer! Oh no :/

I knew there would be different engine options, hope for a 400+hp version will be alive then, if not right now as a special edition at least.

I really enjoyed the event and it was great getting to put some faces to the forum names.

Thoughts on the car, I’d say watch this space, as I’m fairly certain a few changes will be made before final production. The front end is a little bulbous with the camo on, but when compared to the racing concept you can see how lines could work with a wide front profile.

I got a good look around the LC500 and it’s more of a “strawberry’s and cream” affair than I’d like to see for the Supra, 6series would probably be the equivalent size.

I guess most cars these days are much bigger than their predecessors, whereas this concept is roughly the same length but not as wide, we’ll at least to the eye.

The engine in the concept was a naturally aspirated I6, but this was clearly just to get the concept mobile. The team at the stand basically confirmed the same, I6 3.0ltr Twin Turbo.

Interior looked very BMW from the infotainment side of things, although the dash and arm rests remind me of the current Lexus style layout. The interior will be subject to change I’m sure, no wrap around dash spotted.

Still a fair bit of work to do I’d say, but I’m not totally against it at this point. Chassis and handling should be on point, but the rest we will just have to wait and see.

So over at SupraMKV.com we have a former engineer that worked on the A90. Here is what he had to say when someone asked a similar question regarding the SC/LC.

good questions.

because the sales of the A80 were so much lower than A70, Toyota decided that was going to be the last halo sports car for a long time. They then famously put all efforts into economy cars, and this was commonly known as the appliance era. Common knowledge more or less...

Prior to that however, yes, the A chassis and Z chassis were both closely related, sharing the same platform and many components therein as a result. There was an issue with this starting with the A80 though, in that engineering did not want to use a heavy luxury car platform for what was considered internally as a successor to the 2000GT. Management did not care and forced the engineers to use the platform anyways and instead told them to focus on improving it versus condemning it. This compromise was definitely at odds with what the car was supposed to achieve and is interesting as maybe it would have been a lighter weight sports car instead of GT, but at the end of the day they made it work the best they could.

With SC430, there was still a business case for the car unlike the A80, but as we saw sales were pretty low and that car was all around odd IMO.

In time, both cars more or less fell out of favor, both publicly and with upper management, which is why the LC500 exists. It is an SC successor in every way, and they considered naming it as such before deciding to move to a new nomenclature altogether.

As to why the LC platform wasn't used for a new Supra likely stems back to that A80 vs Z30 mindset of not wanting performance compromise, perhaps Lexus not wanting to share chassis (possible but unlikely), and that Toyota wanted to trade tech and costs with another company a la 86, and so with all factors coming together we have the present situation. Compromise none the less, but perhaps not as much depending on how you look at goals for a given model.

On the plus side, even if these are auto only, manual swaps should be pretty straigt forward given that engine is available with manual gearboxes in other cars, and used ones will be plentiful by then. But from what I gather these autoboxes are so good that BMW is considering dumping DCT boxes altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

We also have to kept in mind that sometime things do not get translated correctly. I'm still hoping that Toyota will only release a straight six.

4 cylinder bashing is the new NA bashing :D

^Just me but I would rather have an NA I6.

Anyways, here are the dimensions that were posted by Bestcarweb.

MKV

Wheelbase 2,470 mm (97.2 in)

Length 4380 mm (172.4 in)

Width 1855 mm (73 in)

Height 1,290 mm (50.8 in)

Compare to the old model:

MKIV

Wheelbase 2,550 mm (100.4 in)

Length 4,515 mm (177.8 in)

Width 1,811 mm (71.3 in)

Height 1,265 mm (49.8 in)

Differences

Wheelbase -80 mm (-3.2 in)

Length -135 mm (-5.4 in)

Width +44mm (+1.7 in)

Height +25 mm (+1 in)

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/supramkv-bestcar-3-jpg.5443/

Me too, but that isn't going to happen.

Oh yeah, no NA I6. It was just more wishful thinking on my part.

On a slightly different note, the same former engineer has said the 4 cylinder may or may not be sold in the US. Toyota USA is still debating it. He did confirm the 4 cylinder will be sold in the EU, Japan, and South Asia (including Australia?).

Edited by supra_1993
grammar (see edit history)