The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The official Top Gear season 22 thread.

jamesmark

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The theory that they can't improve on Clarkson is quite absurd! TopGear, as a lads mag of a show (vaguely interested in driving fast cars) needs an entertaining, engaging and commanding leader but I don't think that JC is the only bloke on the planet capable of running it. What I do fear though, is that it opens the door to the BBC's affliction for token political correctness. They'd try to use a token girl presenter, or a token minority...not the best person for the job just one which fits a demographic they percieve they need to "appeal" to.

im done with top gear after this one.

Surprise surprise its been crap for some time then this?

i hope they keep it off air and replace it with a cooking show or something.

Im vvv bitter about top gear since its became more focused on entertainment rather than the cars

Surprise surprise its been crap for some time then this?

i hope they keep it off air and replace it with a cooking show or something.

Im vvv bitter about top gear since its became more focused on entertainment rather than the cars

Just because you do no enjoy it, many others look forward to it. And as for what happened I doubt it was my lunch is not here, WHACK. Would love to know the full altercation.

Maybe not a serious decline, but a decline non the less. It is apparently the most successful show ever (in regards to revenue), so although as already mentioned BBC will still make money on the show, the money they do make will decrease as previous shows have more than likely already been bought, rights to air given.

So unless the BBC has something where they get paid for each episode aired (I doubt it as Dave will have gone out of business) then yes a decline will happen.

Dave is the BBC.

I think it will be a serious decline. They get paid millions by other countries to air the show.

Product placement plays millions to be in the show.

Sponsors pay millions for the show.

And the fact that note and more people are refusing to pay the licence rape fee to watch TV, more will refuse if Topgear is scrapped/JC fired.

Another channel will pick them up straight away, then even less people will watch the BBC and pay the fees.

ITV are apparently offering him £10mn to join them. I'm a Clarkson fan but when you try or actually succeed in punching your boss, there tends to be reprecussions for it.

Story is he spent a long day filming, and Clarkson 'snapped' when he found out that the producer didn't arrange for there to be any food. I'm quite grumpy when I'm hungry so can see why Clarkson might be 'miffed' if he went for 8hours without food....

What I am curious to know, not being a Top Gear fan in the slightest, but having a morning TV awash with reference to this alleged incident, is what do Asian viewers and black viewers make of Clarkson and the show? Does his "slope" comment cause you so much offence you can't bear to watch the show, or do you see it as just his humour? I'd never heard the word in that context before, but since some woman of PC ideology decided to bring it to the attention of the masses I now hear it used all the time. Never heard it before, and no idea how offensive it may or not be... If she'd kept her trap shut i doubt many people at all would have been aware of its supposed slang connotations.

What about his nursery rhyme thing, the catch a nigger by his toe line? A perfectly acceptable rhyme almost certainly to be found to have been uttered by virtually everyone of my generation with no thought to how the so called "N word" might be offensive. Back then and now it's not a word people of "age" would really think twice about. Apparently it was not broadcast live on the show, but surreptitiously introduced into the public domain from an out-take. Were you mortally offended, or is this word, that's now seemingly anathema to the BBC, but used in a nursery rhyme often uttered when spoilt for choice, so bad you would never view him again?

Or does his shock and horror approach to political correctness come as a breath of fresh air, especially when the bile of the BBC's hierarchy in having to accept him to keep their tills ringing hard, is so strong one can almost smell it?

Personally I can see the show going to Sky, they have already made noises that involve much bulk paper rustling and the slamming of vault doors :) Again, personally, I am more of an L J K Setright fan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._J._K._Setright

I haven't really watched Top Gear in a long time, mainly due to the fact I don't really watch TV anymore. But I'm still a big fan of Clarkson, May and Hammond, the show wouldn't be the same if they lose any of them, it's the dynamic of the trio and the rapport they have which makes the show entertaining to watch a lot of the time.

Sounds like he had a scuffle over dinner with a producer, if it wasn't on set isn't it a police matter (assault?) rather than a BBC matter?

Sounds like he had a scuffle over dinner with a producer, if it wasn't on set isn't it a police matter (assault?) rather than a BBC matter?

Same applies to any work place, if you punch someone or even threaten someone then it is firstly a work matter and then only becomes a Police matter if charges are pressed or someone reports it to the Police.

As I have already said, both parties appear to be keeping very tight lipped over it so it is all guess work and random assumptions to feed the UK's poor tabloid circle.

However if said punch/threat is accurate no doubt the Police will be first on the scene to investigate whether they have recieved a request or not.

The theory that they can't improve on Clarkson is quite absurd! TopGear, as a lads mag of a show (vaguely interested in driving fast cars) needs an entertaining, engaging and commanding leader but I don't think that JC is the only bloke on the planet capable of running it. What I do fear though, is that it opens the door to the BBC's affliction for token political correctness. They'd try to use a token girl presenter, or a token minority...not the best person for the job just one which fits a demographic they percieve they need to "appeal" to.

It reminds me of when Angus Deayton had to give up presenting Have I Got News For You (due to some delicate/embarrassing affair, the details aren't important here). The beeb then used (and still do AFAIK) guest presenters. Maybe they could try something similar with Top Gear.

A show's presenters shouldn't be bigger than the show itself for something like TG.

Behind the ape-like facade, Clarkson is actually an incredibly intelligent individual.

If he has hit the producer (I don't think he has), then it's not been isolated to that, and is almost certainly over more than a meal. I'm certainly looking forward to the full-story coming out.

Behind the ape-like facade, Clarkson is actually an incredibly intelligent individual.

If he has hit the producer (I don't think he has), then it's not been isolated to that, and is almost certainly over more than a meal. I'm certainly looking forward to the full-story coming out.

This.

No doubt it is the BBC trying to get interest on the show, everyone is talking about nothing if you know what I mean.

Producer most likely did a Ronaldo style dive when Clarkson shouted at him & was rolling around on the floor holding his eye :D

What I am curious to know, not being a Top Gear fan in the slightest, but having a morning TV awash with reference to this alleged incident, is what do Asian viewers and black viewers make of Clarkson and the show? Does his "slope" comment cause you so much offence you can't bear to watch the show, or do you see it as just his humour? I'd never heard the word in that context before, but since some woman of PC ideology decided to bring it to the attention of the masses I now hear it used all the time. Never heard it before, and no idea how offensive it may or not be... If she'd kept her trap shut i doubt many people at all would have been aware of its supposed slang connotations.

What about his nursery rhyme thing, the catch a nigger by his toe line? A perfectly acceptable rhyme almost certainly to be found to have been uttered by virtually everyone of my generation with no thought to how the so called "N word" might be offensive. Back then and now it's not a word people of "age" would really think twice about. Apparently it was not broadcast live on the show, but surreptitiously introduced into the public domain from an out-take. Were you mortally offended, or is this word, that's now seemingly anathema to the BBC, but used in a nursery rhyme often uttered when spoilt for choice, so bad you would never view him again?

Or does his shock and horror approach to political correctness come as a breath of fresh air, especially when the bile of the BBC's hierarchy in having to accept him to keep their tills ringing hard, is so strong one can almost smell it?

Personally I can see the show going to Sky, they have already made noises that involve much bulk paper rustling and the slamming of vault doors :) Again, personally, I am more of an L J K Setright fan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._J._K._Setright

My non-white friends all enjoy Clarkson and Top Gear, regardles sof any alleged racism. You'd probably find the majority of the 'complainers' of Top Gear are middle-aged to older white people who only watch the show to fault find. I can't think of anyone I know persnally who'd be that bothered by anything to complain about somethng they saw on TV (luckily)

I'll have a bet that says Clarkson won't be back for the remainder of this series. Shall we say £50? I think it goes deeper than a publicity stunt: hitting someone is not something the BBC management would joke about. These are people who have palpitations when the number of female panellists fall below a specified quota.

It could be a storm in a teacup, a bit of handbags between two guys who had had a rough day.

So, who wants to bet? :eyebrows:

I'll have a bet that says Clarkson won't be back for the remainder of this series. Shall we say £50? I think it goes deeper than a publicity stunt: hitting someone is not something the BBC management would joke about. These are people who have palpitations when the number of female panellists fall below a specified quota.

It could be a storm in a teacup, a bit of handbags between two guys who had had a rough day.

You have to laugh, after everything the BBC has been accused of, a scuffle should be the least of their worries.

370,000 think it's ok to lash out...excellent...just demonstrates the level of the world.

Nope, as it turns out over 423,000 think its ok :D

Poor site is starting to struggle as it seems to be taking longer each time to refresh :shock:

Allegedly hitting someone.

This fracas as they put it happened last week.

And only being mentioned now.

And it's never been stated by the BBC or the police that he punched someone.