j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do you rate the ride of the yellow Billy's

They aren't on the car yet, but I will update the thread with a review of how it drives once all the work is complete. But I imagine that going from totally stock to BPU, big brakes, bilsteins/eibach, paddle shifters and hopefully a TRD diff will be huge transformation. :cool:

The CW German Bilsteins are superior to the OEM yellow Bilsteins, I got a great deal on these and will be happy if I get a few years out of them. They will most likely be replaced by CW Bilsteins, as I think adjustable coilovers are a PITA for a daily driver.

They aren't on the car yet, but I will update the thread with a review of how it drives once all the work is complete. But I imagine that going from totally stock to BPU, big brakes, bilsteins/eibach, paddle shifters and hopefully a TRD diff will be huge transformation. :cool:

How much difference does a LSD make when driving? For example would it be worth the £1000 for a TRD one? I'm contemplating one myself :)

A fair amount. The back end feels much more planted, and it is much more obvious when you reach the limits of traction.

As my car is being built for my local back roads, I am considering it essential.

I haven't tried the reputedly excellent Giken diff, but I was extremely impressed with the TRD one in my single.

I've finally got round to fitting all the parts I've been hoarding over the last few months :D

I began by stripping the interior, almost completely. Dash panels, clocks, center console, doorcards, rear 1/4 cards, seats, carpets etc. I purchased a load of ziplock bags on ebay for this, and have labelled up what goes where.

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

I am pleased to say that out of the four Supras I have owned, this one appears to be in the best condition. Only two scotchloks on the whole car (which WILL be going), almost no corrosion at all on the shell, inside or out. The interior is also very good overall, with only a couple of broken fixings, and one missing screw. :)

After I had done that, I removed the rear spats. I was overjoyed to find no tigerseal holding them on! :D Unfortunately, there is a score in the paintwork behind the spat. Looks like either a masking line, or possibly a cut with a knife. I'm going to try flatting it back and polishing it, and hoping for the best.

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

I fed the sensor lead for my Stack wideband sensor through the firewall, and mounted the locking connector in the engine bay. There is a conveniently located grommet for this near the back of the turbos.

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

I have wrapped the cable in self amalgamating tape, which I will do for all of the wires going into the engine bay. Makes it look more OEM, and protects it too.

DSC_0174.jpg

I have also removed the stereo and DIN tray. I have modified a 200sx DIN pocket with a lid to accept my Greddy OLED boost controller. The idea being that I can hide the boost controller easily, while still being fully visible while driving.

DSC_0181.jpg

The mount I made for the boost controller, wrapped in 3M carbon wrap.

DSC_0178.jpg

I have also started work on the fuel pump install, so I decided to soak the hanger to get rid of years worth of crud.

DSC_0183.jpg

I'll post an 'after' pic tomorrow.

In addition to the above, I have been running all of the wiring for the heated seats, and active sub box.

As it started to get dark, I decided to test fit my drivers Recaro :cool:

DSC_0186.jpg

Still got loads to do, so much in fact I'm worried I'll forget something. :D But I'm happy with progress so far.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I needed a bung welding into my first decat for my wideband sensor, and got a local exhaust fabricator to do it, and fit my decats at the same time. He was impressed with the quality of the Whifbitz 3" stainless decats, but was amazed at the condition of my car. He obviously works under cars all the time, and said mine was one of the cleanest cars he's ever worked on.

DSC_0158.jpg

While there we discovered that my Blitz Realize exhaust has 3 minor pinholes in it. Rather than spend money repaoring it, I decided to buy Jackyboi's Titanium exhaust :cool:

DSC_0163.jpg

Thanks to Jack, top gent. :) Will be getting this fitted as soon as the other work is completed, and will post a driveby video. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I admire your work, I wish I was able to do as much complex work by myself, would save a fortune and is the reason I have purchased a car that is "done"

Cheers :) But it's nothing too complex, just methodical.

Great work. I have seen that style of seat a few times and the colours have always put me off, but they look great in that combo. What are yours out of?

They're from either a Clio or Megane Trophy. :) I've just discovered that they won't work with the OEM passenger Recaro rail I have, so I've just had to order a new pair of Bride rails :(

This build is starting to become expensive! :D

Topline and Trendline are the same basic seat, but Topline are fully electric, ventilated etc. The aren't big seats, but would be more accomodating of larger frames than the Speeds because of the milder bolster design.

These are the best aftermarket seats you can buy for a ddaily driver imo.

I needed a bung welding into my first decat for my wideband sensor, and got a local exhaust fabricator to do it, and fit my decats at the same time. He was impressed with the quality of the Whifbitz 3" stainless decats, but was amazed at the condition of my car. He obviously works under cars all the time, and said mine was one of the cleanest cars he's ever worked on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199913[/ATTACH]

While there we discovered that my Blitz Realize exhaust has 3 minor pinholes in it. Rather than spend money repaoring it, I decided to buy Jackyboi's Titanium exhaust :cool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199908[/ATTACH]

Thanks to Jack, top gent. :) Will be getting this fitted as soon as the other work is completed, and will post a driveby video. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers :) But it's nothing too complex, just methodical.

When you fitting it? :D

Today's work :)

I started by running my new power feed for the Bosch fuel pump. Boring, but time consuming doing it properly, feeding it along side the factory loom on the passenger side, and cable tie-ing it at very regular intervals. It will pass through the boot floor as per the factory fuel tank loom. I have a special quick release adapter to take the power and earth into the tank, which I will picture when installing it. :)

As I am needing a few permanent live feeds, for the fuel pump, active sub box, heated seats etc, I've been looking for a neat solution, rather than attaching loads of terminal rings to the positive battery clamp as so many do. I have bought an OEM distribution block from a VW Golf, which I will locate behind the battery. :)

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

After that, I removed my OEM skirts. These came off with relative ease, although a couple of the fixing screws underneath were being stubborn. I freed these up by wedging a Y shaped Bojo tool behind the bolt while unscrewing, which did the job. :)

DSC_0191.jpg

Unfortunately, they were hiding a few nasties. The OEM skirts have scratched the paint underneath, and a couple of spots have rusted.

DSC_0192.jpg

Not the end of the world though, the front bumper was going to be sprayed next week anyway, so I'll just drop the car off and have it done at the same time. :)

So today, I have mostly been removing my front bumper! :D For those of you who haven't done it, it's a PITA! But I got there eventually.

DSC_0194.jpg

This would be a great time to fit my SMIC, but there seems to be some issue at Samco or Demon Tweeks, as my silicone hoses haven't arrived yet. :(

On the plus side, my USDM side repeaters arrived today, which luckily have exactly the same mountings as the JDM ones they're replacing.

A few pics of the differences...

DSC_0195.jpg

JDM on the bumper, USDM in my hand

DSC_0197.jpg

JDM

DSC_0196.jpg

USDM

Otherwise, I've resealed the moisture barriers in the doors and rear quarters with black mastic, and will be spending tonight getting familiar with fitting fuel cut defenders, speed limit defenders, and active spoiler control modules, as they will be tomorrows tasks. :)