Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its really coming along nicely, the stance looks great! Sounds much better now as well heard you going past my house at the weekend, sounded great!

- - - Updated - - -

Its really coming along nicely, the stance looks great! Sounds much better now as well heard you going past my house at the weekend, sounded great!

Cheers guys, I'll get some better pics soon. :)

Today I have been mostly removing window tine from the rear screen. What an awful job! Basically using a heatgun and a scraper. There's loads of residue still on the screen, so still another few hours work :(

Top tip: I discovered that if you use the heatgun on the outside of the glass instead of against the tint, the glue often peels off with the tint.

Top tip: I discovered that if you use the heatgun on the outside of the glass instead of against the tint, the glue often peels off with the tint.

Wish id known that when doing mine lol, i used thinner/white spirits to remove the last of the glue in mine. Car stunk for ages, horrid job. Wheels look well.

Edited by TuneR (see edit history)

Just getting a few more niggles out of the way :)

The Ti exhaust I bought from JackyBoi is fantastic, really well made, incredibly light, and just the right compromise sound wise too. But it never sat properly, and I was not keen on the blue tip. So I took the car to my exhaust guy today, who has made it prefect. :cool:

As it was

DSC_0428.jpg

Welded on an extra bracket to make it sit straight

DSC_0431.jpg

How it looks now :cool:

DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg

He polished the blue tint off using a bench polisher.

Quick shot of the rear suspension while up :)

DSC_0430.jpg

Yeah definitely, :)

Oh and I've finally managed to secure a UK spec rear bumper :) Hopefully after that is finished, that will be it for the expensive jobs. Then I can really start enjoying the car, and start putting money aside for my single conversion :eyebrows:

I agree as much as I love manuals I do prefer my tiptronic 996 as a daily. Your thread has got me wanting to change the buttons on mine to paddles. Need to see if it's possible and how much work is involved.

Not really seen any single turbo tiptronics before any idea what sort of torque the box can handle?

• 4 weeks later...

Not updated the thread for a while as I've been away (see HERE)

But there are a few things going on. :)

To start with, my Supra developed a misfire on WOT during my time at the Nurburgring. I am currently assuming it is a coilpack or clip issue, due possibly to me replacing the sparkplugs before my trip, and possibly the enormous heat buildup in the plug chamber caused by repeated laps on the track coupled with 35d heat in Germany. I will do more research into the symptoms and report back when I have a better idea. Thankfully the VVTi's only have 3 coilpacks, so if I do need to change them it is much cheaper than for a non VVTi TT. :)

On a more positive note, after months of searching I finally found myself a UK spec rear bumper. :cool: For those of you who don't know, the UK bumpers don't have the large square numberplate hole that the J-specs have. I wouldn't have bothered, except that my rear bumper needed painting anyway, so it was worthwhile.

Before

After

I also fitted a conventional rectangular front plate.

I will be getting a private plate at some point, so I will be able to reduce the size of the plates significantly. :)

And this is what she looks like now (At todays Harewood House classic car show)

That is pretty much all the interior and exterior work done. :) The car is now in very good condition, and looks exactly as I want. I have a few little jobs to do, including getting the heated seats working with the factory switch, fitting my oil pressure sensor and a few other niggles, but now my focus will be on deciding a spec for the single swap and saving for that. :eyebrows:

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)