The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

Thanks for the great input Scott. :thumbs:

While I am confident and experienced with installing electrics in cars, I haven't done much circuit design. :)

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but where in that thread does it say the switch is rated for the seat heater circuit?

Would it not be best to still use a couple of relays, to increase the life of the switch if nothing else?

It certainly won't do any harm to use relays J. All I would say is that you would be adding a fair whack of wiring and the additional relays that are tricky to tidy up neatly. Using the switch with some direct feeds would be a very neat install. Is getting a spare switch difficult? You could suck it and see with a direct feed, if it burns out (highly unlikely) then install the relay solution :)

It doesn't say that it's rated for it, but there is a certain air of confidence in the installation and no mention of :bang: later in the thread, that's got to be good :D

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree, it seems that no relays are necessary.

But I'm not happy plumbing it in and hoping for the best, I will source another switch and *thoroughly* test it before installing. :)

Thanks again for your input. :thumbs: Oh, I'm going to PM you RE; headlights :)

She's gone to the paintshop this morning, so there won't be that much going on over the next week. I will probably spray my APR cooling panel with black plastidip, and do a few odd jobs to the bits I have here.

In addition to the sills and bumpers, I decided to get the area surrounding the boot seal sprayed too, as corrosion was just starting to show on the lip the seal sits on.

I'm glad I did now, as we discovered this when the bootlid was removed...

DSC_0243.jpg

This appears to be a very common issue with imported Supras, thankfully it is only just starting, so it will easily be sorted. But I would recommend that you check this area on your own Supras, as it could potentially cause a huge bill!

The design of the APR plate is fantastic, but the high gloss carbon looks a bit out of place in an otherwise stock engine bay.

Plus, the reason I used Plastidip is so that I can revert to carbon easily. :)

I ditched the carbon look on my ARP plate too. Really don't like carbon at all. Loved the cover though :)

The car is still in the paintshop, but it's going to be gone longer than expected due to some imperfections he's found in the paint. But I'd rather it sorted properly while he has it, rather than it have to go in again. :)

In the meantime, I removed the rear crash bar, and have dropped it off with a local firm to be shot blasted. You can see why...

DSC_0252.jpg

I'm going to give it a decent dose of Hammerite when it gets back.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally picked the car up from the paint shop today, and I'm very happy with the results.

List of work:

- Resprayed front bumper

- Resprayed both rear quarters

- Resprayed sills

- touched up some minor stonechip marks on the front wings

- polished headlights

- painted the vertical support for the front bumper trim

- resprayed inside of boot opening, inc the seam the boot seal sits on

Needless to say it looks fantastic :cool: But you'll have to wait until I've finished putting it together for more pics :p

Otherwise my brand new Bride seat rails arrived today, thanks again to Paul @ Whifbitz for brilliant service as usual. As soon as I unpacked them, I took an angle grinder to them :eyebrows:

DSC_0270.jpg

Notice that one has two cross bars, and one only has one. Removing the rearmost one was necessary to clear my seats.

And test fitting one in the car

DSC_0271.jpg

Thankfully they fit perfectly :) Both bride frames weigh less than the OEM Recaro rail I had which is a bonus too :D

Other than that, I got my rear crash bar back from shotblasting.

Been doing a lot of work on the car over the last couple of days, but unfortunately didn't get pics of a lot of it:

- Boost controller fully installed

- Whifbitz SMIC installed with HKS hardpipe kit, samco hoses and Murray constant tension clamps.

- active spoiler installed

- refitted front bumper

- fitted hockey sticks and side trims

- new battery fitted (didn't want to risk my imminent 2000 mile drive on an old battery :D )

- APR plate fitted

What I have gathered from this is what an awful job replacing the undertrays is! Getting them to line up properly is a big PITA!!!

Anyways, some pics...

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

Get ya wheels on [emoji12]

Looks strange without the 'T' badge on a stock bumper, you putting it back on?

Like the APR plate [emoji106]

I hated fitting my active spoiler and under crap ha.

The wheels still aren't back, but they should be on the car on Monday :D

When the bumper was resprayed, I had him fill the badge holes. This way I can stick a badge on if I want, but I like it the way it is :)

I've just started with the wiring loom for using the stock heated seat switch with my seat heaters.

This is what a £40 wiring plug looks like... :eek:

DSC_0283.jpg

So I unwrap them, and find that the metal plugs wouldn't fit into the plastic block :cry: Thankfully, by trimming the back of the metal plugs they fitted perfectly. :)

a before and after, the bottom one is the modified one.

DSC_0284.jpg

So today I got my Bosch 044 fitted. As per THIS thread, I wanted to run uprated wiring all the way from the battery to the pump, and do away with the restrictive and possibly hazardous stock connector.

So this is what the top of the tank looks like after the cover is removed. Note that the new wiring can be seen with part of the Clubman connector on it.

DSC_0300.jpg

This is the bulkhead fitting that goes into the fuel tank. I have used 27amp cable from the quick release connector, through the bulkhead fitting and onto the pump. Just to future proof.

DSC_0301.jpg

And this is it attached to the pump hanger.

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

I had to drill a 17mm hole to accommodate the bulkhead fitting. There is only really one place that the bulkhead connector will fit, as not only do you need to avoid clashing with the other hoses and components on the hanger, but the cover won't go back on if you mount it at one side.

I then modified the stock hanger to accept the 044 pump, and held it in position with some heavy duty cable ties

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

The wiring for the pump is 17amp (IIRC), straight from the battery to the clubman quick release connector. It runs through a 30amp relay that I have mounted behind the rear pass. rear quarter card. The Relay is switched from the blue/red fuel pump output wire from the fuel pump ECU.

It is all fitted, and works perfectly. :) My only observations are that the Bosch 044 is a noisy pump (It is more twice the size of the stock pump though!), and that during use the relay in the pump wiring clicks every so often. I will probably resort to sound deadening, and with it being a daily the noise will get irritating quickly! :D

In other news, I've had a bit of a nightmare with some other things.

The HKS Speed Limit Defencer would not work, and was stopping the gearbox from working properly. I have removed it for now, and everything is fine. I will attempt to sort it soon, but it was sorely missed tonight as I was out setting up the boost controller, and hit 112mph racing a JCW Mini coupe :D At least I was well past him when the speed limiter hit :D

The heated seats. What a nightmare. Either the switch I bought is faulty, or the wiring pinout I found online is wrong. When I connected it up, none of the lights would come on when they were supposed to, and it blew the dash illumination fuse. I think it has also killed the dash dimmer switch, which was boiling hot earlier and stopped working. I will have to rig up something to test it thoroughly before I try again.

I was just about to ask how you got on with the delimiter as i took mine for dyno the other week the guy had bother getting the power down i thought this might be the answer but looking at your post obviously not if you solve the problem let me know and if your going to race do as I do make sure to start at low speed blow them away drop back give them a smile as they pass always works for me they know they have been pumped

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update :)

I got the suspension and brakes fitted this week, and what a difference it had made. :cool: Just to recap, I've gone for brand new stock UK brakes all round with goodridge lines, and for the suspension I've gone with OEM Bilsteins with Eibach pro springs. The car now corners flat, and while the suspension is firmer, it still absorbs the bumps pretty well. Of all the suspension setups I've run on my Supras, this is definitely the best compromise for daily driving. And as for the brakes, the UKs are only getting into their stride at the point the j-specs have had enough, so again I'm really happy with the improvement.

This is currently how she looks :cool:

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

I have also just installed an ETTC switch, which for those of you who aren't aware, is a switch that allows me to switch the turbos between sequential and parallel. The main reason I've done it is for a bit of fun occasionally, especially for tunnels :eyebrows: It's great to be able to change the character of the car so much at the flick of a switch. I also hear that it improves cruising fuel economy, which I will test on my imminent European road trip. :)

This is the guide I used for the ETTC mod: http://www.internetwork.org.uk/electrical/ettc/ettc.htm

The only problem with that guide is that the ECU wiring is different on the VVTI models. The Intake VSV wire (VSV1) you need to splice is on block B74 pin 5 which is a green-black wire, and the exhaust VSV wire (VSV2) is on block B75 pin 3 which is a green-yellow wire.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Well, I finally got my BBS LM's on. :cool:

The offsets are a bit ridiculous :D But I'm happy with it. Going to replace the inner front wing bolts with something with rounded heads. Otherwise I think it will be alright, and I'm glad I got Al Massey to roll the rear arches now! :D