The mkiv Supra Owners Club

James's DJG Turbo Project

TheTurtleshead

His car is freaking awesome, I am telling you it is very quick considering it is a TT! I can see this easily getting into the 12's

James was kindly going to put my car into TTC as I have an issue with one of the VSV's but we didn't have no silicon pipe :(

I'm not going to run at the pod mate so if we're desperate for some hose we can just take the one off my car! And James, for the love of god get some facelift indicators on there!

His car is freaking awesome, I am telling you it is very quick considering it is a TT! I can see this easily getting into the 12's

James was kindly going to put my car into TTC as I have an issue with one of the VSV's but we didn't have no silicon pipe :(

It is isn't it :D

Shall be even quicker when he puts the 6 speed in :D

Potential Change of Direction:

Everyone wants a single/massive twins, with 1000hp, because it's 'The Done Thing' with Supra's. Personally, for where I live, I think a TT BPU+++ would be the better car.

I have 95% of the parts for the single conversion.. Just need a Syvecs ECU now, so it's not like I'm simply getting impatient. ;)

Reasons:

-It's all tight, twisty roads, which lend themselves to quick response and usable power, so 4-500hp is more than enough.

-I'm a rear wheel drive man through and through and always will be. Yes a 4WD like the GTR could use 600hp down the same road, but it won't be as engaging a drive, or as much fun as the Supra that's trying to kill me on the same road. :D Naturally this means the usable power I can run is reduced… but it's a price I think I'm willing to pay.

No final decisions yet, I am going to look around at smaller turbo options, something that will max out at 500hp on a 3.0 2JZ… probably on a cast manifold for response and simplicity. It would mean I have a mint condition Greddy T78 Turbo kit up for sale soon if anyone's interested. :D

Potential Specs-

-HKS 256/264 Cams & Adjustable Pulleys

-High Flow lower DP Section for stock Twins

-Full Decats and 4" HKS Ti

-Syvecs, mapped in fulltime TTC Mode

-Greddy Plenum (Probably won't bother!)

-Big Injectors

-HKS Fuel Rail

-Fuel Lab FPR

-Bosch 044 Pump

Just worried I'd be building a straight line car.. something I'm 100% against. It's all about the corners!

Opinions? Keep them sensible, and qualify!

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

That's the sort of set up I'd like to end up with. 500bhp, good for track/street and decent times on strip. Doesn't make the car unmanageable or un-fun to drive but more so livens up throttle response and power

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the combined transportation efforts of; Dave W, Jamie and Fitz. I am now in the possession of a fine set of AP Racing, 6-Pot 356mm front Brakes, which I purchased from another member Neil. The discs need to be replaced soon really, but they are useable.

Under the dirt the calipers seem to be in fine fettle. I just hope they squeeze under the wheels, or they will be for sale shortly! Will update with pics and fitment when I have time.

I don't usually read the project cars but this got my attention whilst aimless browsing. Its awesome James. Well done I love the fact that your keeping it so that you can easily revert back to stock looks. Have you considered a stock hood scoop? Just thought id throw that out there....You could always source another stock bonnet to change back. Personally I think it would look awesome. Photoshop anyone?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=175085&stc=1&d=1379283668

Not a fan of the stock bonnet scoop Sir Logan…. sorry! Always thought they looked like an afterthought.

Had a cheeky tesy-fit of the brakes today. I am pleased to report that they fit underneath the wheels.. yay! They do touch the wheel weights, but only just as you can see in the pic.. With some tactical relocation they should be fine.

I want to strip them down and refurb with all new seals..etc before I fit them, but at least I know they go on now! :D

Proper Brakes.

I need extended ARP wheel studs if anyone has a set lying around? :D The bell is thicker than stock and I don't believe there is enough thread on the studs to be safe.

attachment.php?attachmentid=177507&stc=1&d=1385231474

attachment.php?attachmentid=177508&stc=1&d=1385231474

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Will the wheels still fit ok with the thicker bell? I know the cw's are an aggressive offset anyway.

Besides that, nice car you are putting together there :)

Yeah it's only about 5mm or so, should be ok… I hope! The CCW's have a very thick mounting pad for the studs to go through, which doesn't help. Front's don't rub and I haven't had the arches rolled at all. Could always drop one size down on the front tyre width also.

Ty, I try. :D