The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DragonBall 2014 .............................!!!!

Jamesy

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people have to stretch their budget just to get on this, getting them lost just because they can't keep up with Jamie P is not part of the clubs spirit. Couldn't go this year, but will next year and will be happy to help anyone that needs it!

Why not make a list of pre-requisites for the trip and if people default on that list, then at their risk be it?

I was quite shocked at the number of people who were no where near properly equipped. No sat nav, no breakdown cover (Europe and Uk). One things I would never do is rely on other club members to get you out of the mire. It's more than likely it will happen as we are overall a great bunch but you can't do 1000 - 1200 miles without a back up plan of your own.

H.

Some people have to stretch their budget just to get on this, getting them lost just because they can't keep up with Jamie P is not part of the clubs spirit. Couldn't go this year, but will next year and will be happy to help anyone that needs it!

Now that's club spirit :) I would do the same, otherwise there's not much point in even going on the trip together, the whole point is its a club event.

Not really a fair comment. There's fast cars - other than Jamie's (Steve M's, Jamesy, etc) but why should one curtail ones fun just so others don't get lost? That's not club spirit either.

It's up to you to stick to the itinerary set out by the leaders. What happens if there's traffic? Should everyone stop?

Guest Budz86

Lets not allow this thread to get messy after such a great weekend guys. I like the idea of a sticker or something for the cars that know where they are going, which will also take some pressure of JB. If you want to stick your foot down, cool, if not, you don't need to. Horses for courses. The radios really helped too! But again, it depends how much you want to spend on what is ultimately a long weekend in France and it will still be an event for all :)

Lets not allow this thread to get messy after such a great weekend guys. I like the idea of a sticker or something for the cars that know where they are going, which will also take some pressure of JB. If you want to stick your foot down, cool, if not, you don't need to. Horses for courses. The radios really helped too! But again, it depends how much you want to spend on what is ultimately a long weekend in France and it will still be an event for all :)

It's a perfectly valid debate, not a slagging match.

People arriving unprepared (i.e. no GPS, cars which have issues, no breakdown cover) adds pressure to the event organisers, when common sense (to me at least) would dictate that you don't go unprepared.

Stickers are a great idea. My satnav doesn't do itn files so I had to put in the destination. Put in a max of 2 waypoints. Hope it didn't ignore them and then tell it to avoid some roads to get roughly the same route. I'm guessing others are in the same boat.

What would be usefull for me would be lat and longitude cords or a little more info where we will be parking up. A few occasions we turned up at a town and were not sure where to park. I'd have never found that supermarket carpark on day 1 if I had been separated. And only guessed after driving arround a bit that people were over the bridge at that little fishing port place. We were one of the first to arrive at the castle. On our own. And only parked in the right place because someone waved at me from the carpark.

It seems a quite small thing to add into the route maps to make it easier. For me at least

I have seen people mention people not being prepared... and for anyone wondering. Regards my brake fluid issue... I had brake-down cover. I chose not to use it. I still mostly did the routes just didnt do the hooning everyone else did ;)

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Not really a fair comment. There's fast cars - other than Jamie's (Steve M's, Jamesy, etc) but why should one curtail ones fun just so others don't get lost? That's not club spirit either.

It's up to you to stick to the itinerary set out by the leaders. What happens if there's traffic? Should everyone stop?

Spot on. To be fair with 51 cars you can never always stay in one group. Most people broke off into groups of 5-10 cars for periods. As mentioned the event is so great because you can go slow, nippy or bat-sh!t crazy speeds and still be in a group of your own to suit your preference and driving style.

Behave, it was only a joke.

Guest Budz86
It's a perfectly valid debate, not a slagging match.

People arriving unprepared (i.e. no GPS, cars which have issues, no breakdown cover) adds pressure to the event organisers, when common sense (to me at least) would dictate that you don't go unprepared.

I agree that it's a valid debate JG, just didn't want it to turn into a slagging match after all the work everyone has put in! Prevention is better than cure and all that :)

Incidentally I was one of the ones that had a problem, and also one of the ones that didn't have breakdown cover! Conscious choice not to take it out and was fully prepared to deal with any issues myself, I didn't want to ruin the trip for anyone. I was very lucky that we are part of such a great club with fantastic club spirit so I didn't find myself on my own!

Breakdowns are all part of the trip if you ask me; 50+ 20 year old high performance cars hooning around France all weekend and you're going to get issues! Why do you think I chased Jamie all weekend...it's because Lee was with him! :D

I must say the SatNav with ITN files makes the trip 100% easier, I did the 2011 without and it was much more intense and less enjoyable for me

As for the driving, I did some quick stuff up near the front and lead a few groups when needed and on the last day just took it easy at the back (except through the tunnel:innocent:)

The Dragonball has been great for the last 3 years I have been and it doesn't need to be changed in my mind, even Jen enjoys it and she is no petrolhead at all

She enjoys the fast moving scenery and company

As for numbers, I think 50 is more than enough, I know the interest every year grows and with a cap at 50 means the risk some may not be able to go (hopefully not me), but it is already pushing our luck getting parked. I think we were really lucky this time that we all got parked a couple of times

I have to hold my hands up to Branners the routes were amazing this year, by far the best we have had to date, I really can't imagine having to Google map and walk through the whole route, it's mind boggling

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking Spa next year ladies and gents, no idea why or what or exactly where but that way seems to make sense so we give the French a year off from our excitable members....how are the Belgium police?

Sounds good to me! Just need to know exact dates!