The mkiv Supra Owners Club

13J WideArch 600hp NA-t Project

Noz

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

So, thought I'd begin to throw in some updates of what I've been up to.

I'll start by posting a few before shots. I had a remap last week, I'll post the results at the end of my update.

The front bumper was in a bad state. I had a re-occuring crack that just wouldn't go away. Without designing the front splitter correctly and removing the center section this had become warped due to creep in the material. Making a new one, and removing the center section solved this problem in the end.

The rear spats were damaged, I repaired these and sold them on as I had other plans. The front bumper was prepared for painting, I'm not spray expert so it probably took longer than expected but the amount of damage was only apparent when I begun to primer the front. The car was stripped, and the front mount was noticable small. So, this was on the list of upgrades.

The wheels were damaged, so sent off for blasting. The new larger 3" pipework and thicker core was installed. I also mounted a duel air intake gauge on the new pipework. A nice modification the tuner at Austec complimented. The half cage arrived, and was primed. I've removed it again to have the candy coat painted. So all holes and plates are ready to go when it returns. The front looks a lot meaner with the new core and hopefully fill the front bumper mouth.

20120909_134159_zpsad8f2dda.jpg

188441_10151302143076227_1031872747_n_zpsb24ae5d7.jpg

IMG_0285_zpsf446ecc5.jpg

The rear trial was damaged. I got the bumper like this to save a few pennies. A right job, wish I hadn't bothered and bought new. Fitment was still pretty rubbish. Unsure of the source.

IMG_0175_zps42a92858.jpg

IMG_0274_zps0f053890.jpg

Wheels returns looking awesome, I was half tempted to leave them without paint! The candy coat on the lip turned out nice, sadly not as bright as I wanted but it's hard to get a bright red without the pink tint. I used a green base coat to bring out the darkness.

IMG_0859_zps5b9af97f.jpg

IMG_1650_zps14b2b1aa.jpg

IMG_1956_zpsedbc5728.jpg

IMG_1973_zps34a8f603.jpg

IMG_1981_zpsb2db44e2.jpg

IMG_1983_zpsfae2db36.jpg

The custom 3" adapter allowed me to fit the new 4" downpipe that hit the manifold and drive the car to the garage for exhaust fitting. This didn't take much modification during the exhaust fitting. The 4.5" VWR system was on a treat.

IMG_0901_zpsbdace0e2.jpg

IMG_0914_zps0025b9f7.jpg

IMG_1582_zpsbeed049f.jpg

IMG_1865_zpsf3deeaa7.jpg

It's solid mount, so doesn't sound as suttle from inside the car. I also had a ECT fitting to allow for noise reduction where needed. Super item, works a treat. Used the trial as a mock up to ensure exhaust fitment. I actually found the Whifbitz system hit the trial rear and thought I might have to modify the location of the VWR but in this case, it was a perfect fit. Off for spraying for the trial, looking good already with new facelift rears.

IMG_1798_zpscaab3818.jpg

IMG_1854_zps1f8d386d.jpg

New seats arrived from Shane. Same week as the front returned, painted. Got my wheels back, awesome colour on the candy am really pleased. Ignore the grey tyres, they have been changed and were just runners till I had everything set up right.

IMG_1811-Copy_zps93fc1822.jpg

IMG_1949_zpsb0406e67.jpg

Dyed the carpet black, perfect to do while seats were being changed anyway. Surprised how much dye I used actually. Got the car back from MOT, just sorting out the new splitter and swapping the new wheels on.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

IMG_2130_zpsd0a6470d.jpg

IMG_2134_zpse1d90f0d.jpg

IMG_2162_zps766a62a7.jpg

IMG_2169_zps6e51de40.jpg

IMG_2161_zps3e16a84e.jpg

Cheeky shot of Listy on his seat-exchange visit :)

IMG_2188_zpsa92cf041.jpg

Swapped the dash lights, will be going stainless dial at some point when I have cash to spend on such items. For now, I'm happy with the new look. Such a change at night. The green is really dated, can recommend this to anyone wanting a cheap modification to freshen up the inside.

13850_10151330424331227_1116402287_n_zpsf6541160.jpg

Shots of the 99% complete outside. Just the cage to be re-installed and a few panel line up things to solve.

IMG_2212_zps75690ed3.jpg

IMG_2217_zps7b07e0ae.jpg

IMG_2255_zpsec779446.jpg

Day of dyno. I went to Austec racing. I left at 5am and got home at 11.30pm due to stopping in Bristol to collect a car. I have never actually had a decent running NA-t. Always mis-fired around the top rev range. Didn't really get any help with why so just been driving around flaming everyone. The aim of this remap was to help direct me into the path of a normal running engine. Using stock 7psi spring on HKS copy wastegate, my aim was to just have it running sweet. I'm going water/meth soon and standalone ECU, so this was just so I could use the setup I have and not primarily to gain power.

- - - Updated - - -

549028_10151333352706227_818004835_n_zps5ffd014d.jpg

I must say, within the first 20 minutes the service impressed me. Not a lot of people know they even dyno. It won't be my last visit there that's for sure. I went Austec because dude is super quick with customer service, and my previous mapping experience left me in the dark when I had problems. He even rung me the day to make sure I was happy with everything.

Turns out, I needed a new fuel pump. The stock NA pump usually works fine on most setups, mine had clearly been pushed too hard for too long. The first dyno, ran 260bhp. Pretty epic huh! Time for a new Walbro.....

With this fitted, I ran 330bhp. I seriously got concerned about my previous dyno of 373bhp at SRR and have no idea how I hit those figures. I used the recommended coppers for tuning again this time. Through recommendations to change them, the guys at Austec ordered me some grade 8 iridiums, BKR8EIX (I think they are 8's, sorry if they are 7's and I'm wrong).

Tommy said I should be happy with 350bhp, I was pretty gutted when he said this.

The first run his 411bhp. The wastegate is too small and can't flow the boost, therefore I am over boosting. The map was lean, so he wanted to add the fuel. With this, the power creeped up to 417bhp. That's a generous fueling map and no knock was found.

The car pulls like a train, with an over boost of 1.2bar I'm pushing the NA's limitations on stock compression. This is why water/meth and an EGT gauge is the most important thing next. I've never seen a stock compression so high, and that means it's dangerous.

10004_10151333563521227_1152238550_n_zps1e42beee.jpg

The recommendations from Austec are to get a bigger wastegate, drop the boost so it's more controlable and have the boost kick is earlier. The current setup is a bit laggy, and the power would be better sooner. But for now, I'm chuffed to bits. The car's been off the road since last August and I've been mucking around getting things to fit and run right. I will add information about actual sound loss from the ECV as I think it would help others who have big systems.

I'm really glad I spend the cash on bigger flowing setup. All the little bits add up, and with a great tuning company behind my budget I think I've done the little NA engine proud!

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

That's a very linear graph with minimal space under the lines, almost like a centrifugal supercharger. :think:

Well done, :thumbs: I'd be running 50W grade synthetic in that and be cautious of the raised rev limit.

It's due a service now, so I'll look into it. Any recommendations on the oil?

Nice write up mate and good to see your progressing :) that's a great result with those limitation buddy u must be stoked :)

Thanks mate. Yea I am pleased. Stock dizzy, stock compression, stock head. Am very pleased. Who knows, with a better ECU there may be more to grab as with no problems with knock keeping steady gas temps I'm confident Austec can push the engine even further.

get a vid up would love to hear how that sounds :D

I need to soon! Hoping to get some tomorrow evening. Problem with Uni exams creeping up so close mate :)

I'd have done that before it was maxed on the rollers. :shrug:

Opie sell Valvoline 5W 50 fully synthetic at a sensible price. :)

First thing when Uni is finished is a full service dude. I'll grab some oil as well. The cooler sadly means I'll need up to 7 litres.

Nicew work, well done. Loving the new look of the wheels too.

Thanks mate. Took me ages and a lot of money on paint trying to get the right look I was after.

Can't wait to see your car at japfest mate, well done with your results, all your efforts are paying off

Thanks mate. This time maybe come say hello instead of walking past me as I drill holes :love:

Well done dude that's fantastic results!

So do you now hold the record for the highest bhp NA-t running stock HG, using pump fuel? :D

Thanks mate. Looks like it yes mate. Stock engine, not just block. Who knows what else I can grab out of this engine. I'll definitely be pushing for more power until it pops and then I'll post the spare up to Austec for new toys (as at that point I'll have no choice anyway).

Great read, and I love the paint work.

Thanks mate :) I don't often post, it's great to have some positive feedback.

Looks awesome mate, Well done! I'm loosing patients with my 4" dp have you any pictures fitted? I'm leaning towards cutting off my turbo flange and moving it out slightly, it would solve most of my issues.

Thanks matey. Don't loose hope. It's an easy fix. Cut out a section of the pipe and weld in a concave piece if your really struck for ideas.

The easiest thing to do (in my head) is cut the 4" pipe just where it begins to reduce to 3" vband at turbo end, and extend this so it goes straight before it bends down. Then you can adjust the lower section of the pipe as required. This will be a million times easier than messing with the manifold.

DUDE a quick thought. If you have the manifold off anyway, install a exhaust gas temperature gauge sensor into cylinder six (quick bung weld) and also brace the manifold if it isn't already. I'm having to remove all my bits to do this, when your tuning sensors will be a life saver if you have a problem.

Trust me I've had problems and not had sensors and been mightly upset!

Give me a heads up if you want any advice on the EGT setup as I'm currently looking at options for mine anyway.

• 2 weeks later...