The mkiv Supra Owners Club

13J WideArch 600hp NA-t Project

Noz

It was a good idea mate. I don't want to have a show winning bay, but my bar def needs a tidy up and a couple of nice shiney bits. Think I'l relocate the battery next, in a perfect world I'd have a FFIM with shiney throttle body as well, but we can't have it all :) And performance wise, I can't justify spending the money.

More crazy painting updates soon ;) Not sure what I'm going to do next... might get some candy green and do the topmount surrounds. Different is definitely the world, not seen anyone do any marble effect under the bonnet. Probably cuz it doesn't look a good as bling, but good to be different ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noz how is this running? Tempted to do this . I may have some spare cash about and fancy a project :D

Car is running fine. I still have slight issues when under constant load I think my ECU requires a check up from an ECU guru that didn't answer his phone last night (I was a bit late ringing him :cool:). Best peice of advice I can give you; don't buy second hand electronic parts.

Only just seen this thread as well Noz. Nice work mate, no idea how this one slipped under the radar. Did you get your missfire sorted in the end? Was it the HT leads/Rotor arm in the end? How did you get on with sorting a BC as well?

Thanks mate :) Yea I did, after having a flat battery over night at the garage I left it at, the fault was cured and drove better than ever. Since then I still get the odd hick-up which I think it EMU related.

I tried changing sooo many ignition components, after I done an emissions test the engine was telling me it wasn't ignition and more fuel related. The emissions were so low I was running the same percentage hydrocarbons as whne BarnyBrendan ran his engine on 100% meth, garage told me they were so lean he was worried to even drive it. After ECU was reset, emissions shot back up and car didn't miss a beat.

I'm in the progress of getting this sorted, then I'll be ordering a boost controller. Got my eye on the AEM tru boost, 52mm so will be an extra gauge to try and locate somewhere. Hopefully top the 400. Then I can concetrate on my new engine :D

Bit concerned about the rattle the clutch is causing, whether I have a bearing somewhere getting worn out quickly due to the competition clutch being all-or-nothing and juddering the gearbox I don't know, it definitely need's looking at.

Just gonna spend some time getting my bay looking nice now, nothing worst than showing off your dirty turbo.

Where you refering to the single or twin headlight intake?

I finished my single headlight intake buddy. Here's the thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?254587-My-Custom-Headlight-Intake-(PicHeavy)&highlight=custom+headlight+intake

Though I also wanted to try and make a twin headlight intake, building in new dipped beam units where the foglights are located. This is a heavy project, and I've been super busy with Uni work so progress is slow. Twinheadlight intake thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?259267-My-Twin-Headlight-Intake-Build&highlight=twin+headlight+intake

When you start working on it make you should do a build thread. Lots of people want a single headlight intake with most of the headlight intact. I have a few headlights spare, I'm tempted to try and make one to sell just to practice :)

ye the headlight I'm using doesn't have any internals anyway. ye I'm sure your thread will give me a better idea on how its done so cheers for posting that up. and ye ducting to the filter or pipe with the filter off. the pipe nearly finishes at the back of the light so shouldn't need to much fibreglass

Edited by leet45single (see edit history)

The tricky bit will be making your headlight the shape of your ducting. i recommend using mesh and not building it up with material as this will make the unit very heavy as I found out.

If you know what shape you want then use mesh, its alot quicker. I didnt as I wasnt sure where I was going with the unit, and made it as I went along from an image in my head that changed as I worked on it.

how are you going to connect the front of the headlight to the main unit? The lense is glued on at the moment, and with clips. Are you going to keep this method, as I found with the extra weight I didn't want to risk using silicon to hold it in, your find the back of the headlight becomes alot lighter than the front with a vent in the lense and the rear of the light cut out.

Are you going to blend it like I did, or just have a single hole and keep the main shape of the lense?

BTW: Where did you get your heat shield?

ye was going to use mesh then lay a couple layers of fibreglass on that then thinly smooth with filler.

ye I was going to keep the silicon and clip method, I'm not really sure what the problem is that your trying to explain (I'm a bit thick lol) but if I encounter this problem I'll probably use a glue gun as well.

as for the shape I'm not decided yet, once I get drawing on the lens and cutting I'll see what takes shape.

not sure when I will get the car back from srd but I'll put some pics up once I start it mate

if you mould a shaped intake in the front lense, it will become heavier, and the glue around the edge of the lense and small clips should be re-enforced somehow.

Its alot of weight to trust a bit of silicon and 4 little clips, if that beast flies out when your driving you could do some serious damage to someone or something.

The front lense is very light, the clips were designed for something that weighs hardly anything. Your intake will weigh around 5kg at least by the time your finished, that's about 20 times heavier than the clips are designed to take.

When making your unit, I'd recommend fibreglassing some 20mm nuts into back of the lense (where your fibreglass anyway onto the mesh) and the main headlight unit. This way, you can cable tie it together when you use it, to give you that added security.

Once you have made it your see how heavy it is, the surface area of the lense ridge isn't enough to hold it, so consider this when you build it as for my headlight I didn't use clips or silicon or glue, I made new secure holes and string the lot together each time I use it so it's easy to get apart if I need to, but also holds together strongly.

Give it a warm day and go over a bump and loose a clip and next thing you know some santa pod locals have just had their arm cut off with some smashed up intake/lense! lol eeek

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously need to get some black silicone couplings.

Here's the underside of the practice Y peice that Brendan kindly gave me (thanks dude), this was the FIRST attempt using heat proof paint so dont judge me jake ;)

It's a lighter green than the non-heat proof stuff but isn't far off.

2012-02-18205348-1.jpg

Edited by Noz (see edit history)