The mkiv Supra Owners Club

13J WideArch 600hp NA-t Project

Noz

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My w58 finally died. With a loud bang it rattles badly in every gear and in neutral. It had a good run for it's money.

I changed from first to second, hard. I'm yet to remove it for full analysis.

Drag radials a few weeks back took it's toll I assume.

I'll be collecting ab's R154 setup this weekend and piecing together what else is required (custom cross member, clutch, MAYBE lightweight flywheel but definitely a flywheel!).

I'll be considering the marlin crawler upgrades for a gearbox rebuild.

I've started installing my Aquamyst HSF-5 watermeth setup. I'll have the Co2 intercooler spray kit I have setup in the next coming months.

I'm on the look out for a new, larger wastegate. Mine currently doesn't have the diameter to flow enough causing boost creep and a misfire. I didn't resolve this issue due to more power earlier killing my transmission. 417hp at midrange rpm would have killed it earlier, so I settled with full power at 7k. A laggy setup but saved the transmission, for much longer than I thought it would have. Now I have no reason for lag with a better box.

With all of these sorted, I can attend back to Austec for a remap. And see if I can beat my value of 417hp on stock compression/block.

I'm not aiming for anything other than something better than my old target, but most importantly I want power earlier. I want a better setup, rather than a better figure.

Surely with a A01B diff and R154 I should be fine for a couple of nice upgrades. Maybe worth looking for some cheap 550cc injectors instead of my current 440's?

I suppose now at this point, it's only compression and fuel injectors stopping me from bypassing 500hp?

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Now youve got a proper box i imagine your right, fuel and compression are the only hold back for more, no excuse not to push it further now, good buy :)

I thought you already had a 60mm wastegate on this?

How much boost are you running for 417hp?

Guess im glad my box is still alive, 6 months in, my bhp is reached by 6500 and max torque seems to be 5000rpm

Pretty sure you need to cut and weld to get it to fit (box came off a 7m) but I'll happily be corrected.. I'll check when I'm at the garage this weekend

Following Craig's advice I just unbolted and rebolted the 2 halfs together and it fitted a treat when I did an R154 conversion for a member :)

How much boost are you running for 417hp?

Guess im glad my box is still alive, 6 months in, my bhp is reached by 6500 and max torque seems to be 5000rpm

I'm at 18psi.

Where have you been hiding too?

New job mate. I moved out then moved home and now commute.

Good luck mate.

Thanks dude :love:

Great that you've got the box to take the power now mate!

Just slap a TT headgasket and arp head studs In the mix mate, then you can go for more boost and not worry about det

I had a TT gasket and everything! I've head studs ready too! And a bearing set.

glad to see youve located a new box!! its going to be a cracking build. Whilst your enigne is in bits can you do me a favor?

Can you see what position the dizzy rotor arm is in when the timing marks are all aligned and the crank pulley points to 0?(a picture too would be ideal)

stupidly took the cams out withou noting the rotor position, havent moved the dizzy itself yet.

I've only just collected the setup. I'll be sorting other stuff and looking at a clutch flywheel combo before I get any boxes removed or installed.

I'm also looking into getting mine rebuild. Whatever I go for, I want it more reliable.

glad to see youve located a new box!! its going to be a cracking build. Whilst your enigne is in bits can you do me a favor?

Can you see what position the dizzy rotor arm is in when the timing marks are all aligned and the crank pulley points to 0?(a picture too would be ideal)

stupidly took the cams out withou noting the rotor position, havent moved the dizzy itself yet.

Hey fly I've done this too, you need to point the rotor directly @ #1 lead with the engine at TDC (all marks lined up like you said) and you will need a timing gun. after that you Bridge e1 and te1 on that little box by your intake plenum with a wire or somthing and rotate your dizzy until you are firing at the 10deg BTDC.

Note I had a guy belive that he had trashed his engine becuase it was running like a dog and eating fuel like mad, i checked the timing and he had set it to the TDC mark!

Yes the 2jz will actually run with timing 10 degrees out! AS long as part of the rotor head is at the number one cylinder mark you should have enough adjustment in the dizzy to get it right.

• 8 months later...