The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Who made these? They look lush. On my phone so can't see the engraving.

What spoiler is it? I'm considering a bgw. Really would like to see that on the car.

Thanks, we (as in my company) made them (I cant say as it will go against trader rules and I dont want to pee anyone off).

The Spolier is a Voltex GT Type 3 wing.. it will pretty much look the same as it does now only it will sit higher and the supports will be polished aluminum.

Once they have both been polished up I will fit it to the car and take some pics :)

Thanks, we (as in my company) made them (I cant say as it will go against trader rules and I dont want to pee anyone off).

The Spolier is a Voltex GT Type 3 wing.. it will pretty much look the same as it does now only it will sit higher and the supports will be polished aluminum.

Once they have both been polished up I will fit it to the car and take some pics :)

If this is something your company does id be interested in finding out more (without getting you into trouble etc)

Looking forward to seeing the test footage of the new gearbox in action.

Great to see the underside picture, surprised it all gets covered in, guess there's no need for heaters :D

Lovely workmanship on the upright, also its just great to see a racing supra too. ;)

You must be the only person to think that wing doesn't sit high enough :D probably every person I spoke to about my old car mentioned how big this wing was.

Ah the wing is massive :) its just the height, Voltex do the 30mm extenders however the lead time is astronimical and so it the price, even then it would not bring it up to where the wing needs to sit.

Is there any aero reason to raise the spoiler? Or is it just for looks?

Not for looks no (well apart from the polishing)

It all came after making the rear profile of the car using CFD, it showed that the wing was not at an ideal height to work as well as it could, so we made these mounts to raise it up (which is around the height of the roof) this will allow it to attack cleaner air (as in CFD it showed that the rear window of the car produced some turbulence therefore reducing the rear wings efficiency) now it will sit just above the turbulence made by the rear window but not be too high as to look "odd".

Of course whether it makes a massive difference or not is yet to be found out however I do want to squeeze as much efficiency out of the stuff I have on the car as it stands and then make adjustments on wing angles etc.

Would love to have access to a full sized wind tunnel with load cells .. it would save SO much time.

Not for looks no (well apart from the polishing)

It all came after making the rear profile of the car using CFD, it showed that the wing was not at an ideal height to work as well as it could, so we made these mounts to raise it up (which is around the height of the roof) this will allow it to attack cleaner air (as in CFD it showed that the rear window of the car produced some turbulence therefore reducing the rear wings efficiency) now it will sit just above the turbulence made by the rear window but not be too high as to look "odd".

Of course whether it makes a massive difference or not is yet to be found out however I do want to squeeze as much efficiency out of the stuff I have on the car as it stands and then make adjustments on wing angles etc.

Would love to have access to a full sized wind tunnel with load cells .. it would save SO much time.

Would you be able to make me a set of the legs?

Or send me the drawings so I could get a set made up with the same height and angle specs?

Would you be able to make me a set of the legs?

Or send me the drawings so I could get a set made up with the same height and angle specs?

Isn't your wing an APR Al? MWS's is a Voltex type 3, so I doubt the legs are interchangeable, The wing andd mounts are very different :)

Here is the new position of the rear wing on our race car. As you can see its at a much better height now. Also the new polished Wing supports look... b..e..a.u tiful

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15325158_1820756264870831_9015023299879013147_o.jpg

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15304590_1820756371537487_4004963789053340170_o.jpg

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15235929_1820756261537498_9069925863138155990_o.jpg

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15272144_1820756258204165_2724819911381360323_o.jpg

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15259396_1820756361537488_5808617152696669390_o.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thought I would do a quick update.

Had to take take the turbo off again as I have a failed EGT probe and as the engine is so far back I am not about to take the engine out to get to it, so whilst the turbo is off I find myself for the 2nd time staring at the god awful XS Power monstrosity that they somehow call an a exhaust manifold.

The thing is I am not sure if I can actually make myself put it all back together keeping that POS on the car.

At the moment funds are a little short, we have a baby girl about to enter into our lives (less than 5 weeks away) so we have been spending all our money on things like "travel systems" and all that...flippin bucks ££££'s

We all know that the Whifbitz manifolds are good, but right at this moment I cant afford to go and splash £1400 on a manifold. So I am in the market as it were for a good 2nd hand Whifbitz manifold or something similar (if anyone knows any for sale)

While all that is off, I also decided to wrap the downpipe and center sections of the exhaust with Titanium wrap (dunno why they call it that, there is no Titanium in it), although I fgure that if I am about to change the exhaust manifold the downpipe is also going to have to change (doh!)

Lastly, also going to sort the oil drain, that thing is a mess and always has been asking for a fire, so going for a hardline instead of whatever that mess is, I will update images as we go.

The other thing is there are so many extra water feeds etc that are no longer used in the engine bay, probably because the car had a water cooled turbo before and when they were swapped for the Turbo for the one that is on it now never took the time to remove all the additional water lines etc.

Removing this clutter will save weight and possibly make the engine bay look a little nicer too, although asthetics are not on my list of things to worry about.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

i went from a xs power manifold to a japspeed race spec , better and cheap enough i did have to fabricate a new down pipe though , i also changed from 3" to 3.5" and gained around 500 rpm spool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAPSPEED-TOYOTA-SUPRA-JZA80-2JZ-GTE-RACE-SPEC-3MM-STAINLESS-STEEL-TURBO-MANIFOLD/181508281372?fits=Model%3ASupra&epid=811712923&hash=item2a42bc941c:g:XAUAAOSw9YNZuTUl