The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA ITB Build - I've gone rogue

Eightdip

Hi all,

So as stated in the title, I've gone a bit rogue and I'm putting an ITB setup on my '95 NA.

I know a lot of you will be saying why not turbo, and that was the original intention with the car. But I decided against aiming for any big power numbers, just want that unrivalled throttle response and noise. Plus I like the idea of going a bit off piste if I'm honest.

Build begins tomorrow, will be taking it to a good mechanic friend of mine and leaving it with him for a couple of weeks for everything to be done, giving him a hand here and there with my super limited knowledge.

The ITB kit itself was custom made by EFI Hardware in Australia and shipped over earlier this year. If you want more info on the kit itself, here's a link: https://www.efihardware.com/products/2847/Toyota-2JZGE-Throttle-Body-Kit

In terms of additional bits, I've also gone for 272 Brian Crower cams (with springs and retainers), Whifbitz adjustable cam pulleys, Link G4+ ECU, 1st Decat (to compliment the rest of the exhaust system) and various bits to make everything work (hopefully)

Suuuuuper excited to see how it turns out! Will keep people posted on here if anyone's interested

78E2DBBD-24F4-4DF4-999B-F0003B02B91C.JPG

98DAD623-B1C5-4395-AADD-015ACC121B8D.JPG

60DD61FD-F63A-4A2E-B27D-549BBE0600B7.JPG

20C05B47-AE5E-46A5-99B4-0B0D9FC52D4A.JPG

Edited by Eightdip (see edit history)

Can't wait for that first tunnel run...quality seems spot on to be honest, it certainly wasn't cheap though.

Hopefully you can see the kit better in these pics:

80573550_2436410549821639_1701885305050628096_o.jpg

80407087_2436410389821655_6522874661884133376_o.jpg

79735005_2436410453154982_5379593610805116928_o.jpg

It was a toss up between the 264 or the 272 cams to be honest, but I future proofed myself a bit with the 272's as I'm hoping to do some headwork a bit further down the line which will really make them shine. I have a daily as well so not too bothered on day to day drivability.

Hey, brother... I'm excited for you too, honestly!

Taking the road less travelled is always fun. At least to me... Hehehehe.

All the best brother. There's a person here in California who did the itb setup. Brandon Taft and the shop which tuned it was FSR if memory serves me correctly.

No doubt, between the 2JZ straight 6 and ITBs, the sound is going to be AMAZING!!!

Cheers! [emoji1687][emoji482]

Nice project :cool:

I would also add a few bits to your shopping list:

- lighter conrods - readily available on a budget from a vvti na 2JZ (From GS300 or IS300)

- lightweight flywheel

These will make the engine much more rev happy.

- long branch tubular exhaust manifold

Suited to high revving NA tuning, and the noise :drool:

Have you decided how you're addressing measuring airflow? Personally I think I'd be looking into a custom plenum with a quality aftermarket AFM.

Nice project :cool:

I would also add a few bits to your shopping list:

- lighter conrods - readily available on a budget from a vvti na 2JZ (From GS300 or IS300)

- lightweight flywheel

These will make the engine much more rev happy.

- long branch tubular exhaust manifold

Suited to high revving NA tuning, and the noise :drool:

Have you decided how you're addressing measuring airflow? Personally I think I'd be looking into a custom plenum with a quality aftermarket AFM.

Lightened flywheel is 100% on the cards, just not right now, I'd like to still have some things to aim for in the future. That may include conrods but to be honest the idea of taking the block apart certainly at the moment fills me with a bit of fear!

Exhaust manifold is an absolute nightmare, as far as I'm aware (super happy to be proved wrong), but a full tubular exhaust manifold doesn't exist for RHD NA Supras, I believe the steering column gets in the way? I could get one custom made but that's going to run up a bit of a bill, so again something for the future.

I actually hadn't really thought about AFM to be honest, I'll speak to my buddy when I drop the car off and see what he thinks, I don't doubt there's going to be some hills to climb with the build

Are those Brian Crower cams specifically for N/A application, or profiled for a turbo boosted engine?

They are indeed specifically for NA Non-VVTI http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/engine-components/cylinder-head-components/brian-crower-2jz-ge-264-camshafts-1.html (no idea why the linked address says 264 when the page is the 272s...)

They are indeed specifically for NA Non-VVTI http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/engine-components/cylinder-head-components/brian-crower-2jz-ge-264-camshafts-1.html (no idea why the linked address says 264 when the page is the 272s...)

I am amazed that N/A spec cams are available.

Exhaust manifold is an absolute nightmare, as far as I'm aware (super happy to be proved wrong), but a full tubular exhaust manifold doesn't exist for RHD NA Supras, I believe the steering column gets in the way? I could get one custom made but that's going to run up a bit of a bill, so again something for the future.

My digging is dug, but the manifold is still here.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?354500-Autobahn88-GE-exhaust-manifold

Very nice ITBs!

As said before, I would definitely recommend to go with a lightweight flywheel as well.

My JUN flywheel that I got installed last year made quite a significant difference. For NA standards at least!

An aftermarket exhaust manifold is a must in my opinion... no nightmare at all... go with a 3“ midpipe and catback exhaust system as well. Quite a few people will tell you that it is best to go with 2,5“ on the NA 2JZ. In my case 3“ showed the better numbers on the dyno.

This however will depend on many „pieces of the puzzle“ like with all NA builds.

All the best for your build and keep us updated on here!

Regards,

Herb

Thanks Herb! Sorry I should have mentioned before I do already have a full 2.5" exhaust system, just the standard manifold and 1st 'downpipe' cat at the moment. I bought a decatted downpipe section but will look into David's offer of a full manifold as well.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

There's a youtube channel that's got a hold of a Lexus GE and taking a similar approach before wedging it into a MK2 Jag. The finished product will be miles away yet as they're doing a full build on the entire car, but may have some ideas for you. I think it's episode 4 before they start to talk a bit more about the engine plans :)

[video=youtube;ljWQJv1-pwY]

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

There's a youtube channel that's got a hold of a Lexus GE and taking a similar approach before wedging it into a MK2 Jag. The finished product will be miles away yet as they're doing a full build on the entire car, but may have some ideas for you. I think it's episode 4 before they start to talk a bit more about the engine plans :)

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up will check it out

So bit of an update: we didn't actually realise that supras aren't on hydraulic lifters so going to have to send the head off for valve shimming as my mechanic isn't super comfortable doing them himself, bit of a hit cost wise unfortunately but it does mean that the head will get a good clean and bit of a refresh. May enquire about porting at the same time, anyone know if there's much to gain from porting an NA head?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks SPG!!

So we've run into to another issue, this one looking like a big one. As I thought when looking at the pictures of the head built; the manifold, bodies and trumpets are all actually too long so there's not enough clearance in the engine bay.

Trying to think of a work around, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know :think:

8a6657e9-b8f5-4654-ae91-77c0f5e42bf2.JPG

8e6bce9a-3f21-475e-8057-ea439352ba3e.JPG

eccb5718-d338-4207-a26b-c41598608d06.JPG

EDIT: We have thought of cutting down the trumpets, which in theory would work for the first 5 (from the front), but the back one (bulkhead side) would still not fit