The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA ITB Build - I've gone rogue

Eightdip

7 hours ago, Noz said:

Very cool. Hope I get to see this in person when it's done.

Why not create elbow outlets? So they point upwards, if their direction is an issue.

It'll definitely be getting used and abused so you'll hopefully see it out and about!

Do you mean elbow trumpets? If so there wasn't even any room to start the elbow on the back cylinder on the old kit unfortunately

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Noz said:

I mean turn the black trumpet into a 90 degree elbow.

There's room there but it'd have to be designed. 

There's only room now as the actual bodies are shorter, there wouldn't have been room on the previous kit, the throttle body was pretty much up against the body of the car

9 hours ago, Herb said:

I think with trumpets that short you might gain power up top and loose some down low. But it depends on so many things with NA builds that it‘s hard to say. I guess it remains to be seen how it all comes together in the end.

That would be my guess as well, but we shall see! Would prefer power up top than down low to be fair

But I can see the black trumpet there mate? If you had a tiny trumpet it would fit.

Removing that black trumpet and replacing with one that had the same diameter just an elbow would fit. You would just need to remove the black trumpet.

It would need to be a cnc job, and be in a few pieces of course.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

But I can see the black trumpet there mate? If you had a tiny trumpet it would fit.

Removing that black trumpet and replacing with one that had the same diameter just an elbow would fit. You would just need to remove the black trumpet.

It would need to be a cnc job, and be in a few pieces of course.

This is how it was before and why I had to change the kit, not a feasible space for a trumpet even if it was pointing up

Either way, I'm much happier with the space we're dealing with now with the shorter bodies

8e6bce9a-3f21-475e-8057-ea439352ba3e.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, Eightdip said:

Not 100% sure to be honest! Why do you ask?

*Updated*

There's an optimum length depending on what rpm you want peak power to be achieved at.

From memory though, 45mm ITBs would be the ideal diameter for <250/260bhp, 48mm would be required if chasing 300bhp+ *for 86mm bore*

*I think as a rough estimate calc: for peak power at 6000rpm, the length from back of the intake valve to the bellmouth of the trumpet should be 345mm.

Formula I used is 

(angular displacement × intake air speed) ÷

(time in seconds intake valve closed for × target peak rpm)

Where:

- Angular displacement I think was something to do with timing, but could be assumed to be 85degrees for rough calcs.

- Intake air speed also assumed to be 330m/s

- 2JZGE non-VVTI has 233deg intake cam, so at 6000rpm intake valve is closed for 0.0135 seconds

Huge caveat, doing a lot of this from memory of uni days... May have gotten all/some of it wrong! Although the answer sounds about right IMO.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 3:00 PM, L337 said:

*Updated*

There's an optimum length depending on what rpm you want peak power to be achieved at.

From memory though, 45mm ITBs would be the ideal diameter for <250/260bhp, 48mm would be required if chasing 300bhp+ *for 86mm bore*

*I think as a rough estimate calc: for peak power at 6000rpm, the length from back of the intake valve to the bellmouth of the trumpet should be 345mm.

Formula I used is 

(angular displacement × intake air speed) ÷

(time in seconds intake valve closed for × target peak rpm)

Where:

- Angular displacement I think was something to do with timing, but could be assumed to be 85degrees for rough calcs.

- Intake air speed also assumed to be 330m/s

- 2JZGE non-VVTI has 233deg intake cam, so at 6000rpm intake valve is closed for 0.0135 seconds

Huge caveat, doing a lot of this from memory of uni days... May have gotten all/some of it wrong! Although the answer sounds about right IMO.

That's some serious info haha, literally had no idea about any of that. Thanks for sharing bud!

The cams I'm using are BC 272 deg (intake and exhaust I believe), plus I have vernier pulleys so I guess that would change the calculations. Think there's going to be a fair amount of playing around when mapping

14 minutes ago, Eightdip said:

That's some serious info haha, literally had no idea about any of that. Thanks for sharing bud!

The cams I'm using are BC 272 deg (intake and exhaust I believe), plus I have vernier pulleys so I guess that would change the calculations. Think there's going to be a fair amount of playing around when mapping

272s will be interesting! 

What are/will you be revving it out to?

6 hours ago, L337 said:

272s will be interesting! 

What are/will you be revving it out to?

I'm only running steel BC springs/retainers rather than Ti so it won't be as high revving as it could be but hopefully we'll be able to squeeze a bit more out of it. All depends on the power curve to be honest, if power's still going up to the rev limit then we'll look to increase it!

9 hours ago, Herb said:

I‘m running the BC 264‘s in combination with the BC Valve Springs and Ti retainers. Nice bit of kit!

Probably the best mod on the NA head in my opinion.

Out of interest did you notice much difference from standard with the 264s Herb?

8 hours ago, Eightdip said:

Out of interest did you notice much difference from standard with the 264s Herb?

Yes definitely! It transformed the car. Much more rev happy and lively and quite a few ponies too on the dyno (of course with a full remap on my AEM V2). The great thing with the 264s is that the car still maintains good manners for street driving. The idle is rough when compared to standard cams but not too rough. Not race car stuff but more like a 997 GT3 RS or similar. Can definitely recommend!

I guess it will be similar with the 272s.

Edited by Herb (see edit history)

I would also recommend to do the valve stem seals while you’re at it. You‘re basically already there when you do the valve springs/retainers.

Also consider to use BC billet valve locks for your BC springs/retainers combo.

• Like 1

Well I have to say that I‘m not the kind of guy that drops dyno sheets in forums etc. haha.

It is not a clear statement that I can give regarding the cams themselves because the engine reveived some other mods as well at the time (mainly ignition and EFI related). However, to say the least the car is much more lively above 4-4,5K rpm showing a gain of about 25hp (crank hp) compared to the setup that I ran before. And that is quite significant for NA terms in my opinion.

Regards, Herb

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok a long overdue update!

So I decided to go for Whifbitz coilpacks instead of the standard dizzy and HT leads, apparently it'll be easier for mapping plus I reckon looks a lot cleaner. Throttle cable is hooked up to the pedal and just needs a bracket fabricating so it's not just flopping on top of the rocker covers. New (iridium) plugs have been put in (old ones were looking a little worse for wear!). A bunch of minor annoyances sorted and the wiring/loom work is getting there. Wideband is also ordered

cce9f5e5-1eb6-4980-8f3c-08e7b540212a.JPG

a504051f-da03-49ec-b76a-2091a78a795e.JPG

74d14218-7d18-4564-9b5c-49447ee4294e.JPG

44e9ddab-82b3-4204-a9db-d815879d826c.JPG

• Like 2