The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA ITB Build - I've gone rogue

Eightdip

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Just another info based on my experience - no matter with which aftermarket manifold you will go.

Make sure that the outlet of the manifold (where it is mated to the 3“ midpipe) is also 3“. My manifold was 2,5“ in the past and I had this fixed this year and enlarged to 3“. At the same time I got a Vband installed in that area.

17E5BD27-0775-43E4-8717-8CEB7037EDE2.jpeg

4A8F9F45-4AC7-46B0-8EF9-87CF9365EE4B.jpeg

9B00D57A-14DC-4FF0-A9C4-D8158284865E.jpeg

Nice one mate, what problems did you have associated with the difference in tube size? I think my exhaust is 2.5" anyway if i remember correctly, had it custom made a few years back and wanted a less 'bellowy' noise if you get me

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Yes ist was slightly rerouted in that area where it might interfere with the steering column. Nothing major its just about 1cm of clearance or so.

Can‘t you still get that manifold through MVP Motorsports in Texas/US? I‘m not sure as I bought mine many years ago.

However, I do get your point regarding costs involved. Importing parts from the US is not cheap these days.... heck is it even not cheap to get parts from the UK to EU anymore unfortunately. So if there is a way to get a manifold custom made at a reasonable price point I would go for it if I were you.  Would definitely recommend to try and avoid the stock (exhaust) manifold as it is a bottleneck with NA 2JZs.

I couldn't see it on their website, though I could very well have missed it. It's a minefield looking for an actual NA manifold and not a NA-T...

4 hours ago, Eightdip said:

Nice one mate, what problems did you have associated with the difference in tube size? I think my exhaust is 2.5" anyway if i remember correctly, had it custom made a few years back and wanted a less 'bellowy' noise if you get me

I was told by my engine builder that the difference in tube size is not ideal from a flow perspective. In addition to that this area kept leaking a bit. Hence I decided to enlarge the diameter an go with a Vband clamp instead.

As for the MVP manifold I had a quick look and also could not find it… it might has been discontinued in the meantime unfortunately.

You are absolutely right regarding noise… a GE can become very loud with BC cams, intake, exhaust manifold etc. Hence, I went with a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust (one of the quietest exhausts for the Supra I know of) to keep things legal in my country (very restrictive regarding noise down here).

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I was told by my engine builder that the difference in tube size is not ideal from a flow perspective. In addition to that this area kept leaking a bit. Hence I decided to enlarge the diameter an go with a Vband clamp instead.

As for the MVP manifold I had a quick look and also could not find it… it might has been discontinued in the meantime unfortunately.

You are absolutely right regarding noise… a GE can become very loud with BC cams, intake, exhaust manifold etc. Hence, I went with a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust (one of the quietest exhausts for the Supra I know of) to keep things legal in my country (very restrictive regarding noise down here).

Understood, guess it's all good if I'm 2.5" all the way through then. It's a shame you have to worry about noise levels on the roads

Looks like @HarleyFDMD has saved the day and has sold me his manifold, we should continue to hear some glorious ITB noises! 

Genuinely concerned in terms of noise levels for future track days though, might have to get a bung or new exhaust section to quieten it down a tad. I'll worry about that later though...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for checking out the vid and the links @Frank Bullitt and @Annabella

2 hours ago, Annabella said:

Looks like these are breather filters rather than air filters, only 25mm fitment!

2 hours ago, Frank Bullitt said:

Think these are for Jenvey applications so may be a little too specific fitment wise

2 hours ago, Frank Bullitt said:

ITG might be worth a look too - https://www.itgairfilters.com

Reckon I could definitely find something that would work on here, or worst case scenario get something made up! I'll get the tape measure out

I might even try these out to be honest (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Performance-Twin-Layer-Foam-Carb-Sock-Air-Filter-Weber-DCOE-Dellorto-DHLA-/272344938650?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0&fbclid=IwAR2HsgtCvFpbaSge5dEvBp0PGvbYqSxYdoJn9V9stkF1PVaIAVrsW5hBiac) worth a go for the price. I would probably widen the fitment hole a tad so they don't sit quite as tightly onto the trumpets as last time

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eightdip said:

Think these are for Jenvey applications so may be a little too specific fitment wise.

Reckon I could definitely find something that would work on here, or worst case scenario get something made up! I'll get the tape measure out

I might even try these out to be honest (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Performance-Twin-Layer-Foam-Carb-Sock-Air-Filter-Weber-DCOE-Dellorto-DHLA-/272344938650?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0&fbclid=IwAR2HsgtCvFpbaSge5dEvBp0PGvbYqSxYdoJn9V9stkF1PVaIAVrsW5hBiac) worth a go for the price. I would probably widen the fitment hole a tad so they don't sit quite as tightly onto the trumpets as last time

How tight for space are you?

The Jenvey stuff could probably be made to fit using a bespoke plate between the TB trumpets and body. There will obviously be a little outlay but you don’t seem afraid of that. The flip side is that sock filters have always been a compromise but I am thinking back to the 90’s!

ITG have been around a long time, good quality stuff from what I remember.

RAM air, (again going back a few years) used to be less dense than ITG.

From personal experience of running twin Dellorto 40’s and later 45’s the slipover style was found to be quite restrictive for power delivery and the filters tended to ride down the trumpets so you would end up with foam directly inside the trumpet opening. Don’t be tempted to investigate the over oiling route either, as this will make things worse. I went with K&N marine filters in the end.

Unless you are convinced your engine will run in dusty conditions you could consider running clean filters only but without the oil they won't remove any of the fine dust that causes engine wear.

Just remember the moment you add oil you will restrict airflow and if the airflow capability is at or below the required amount before adding oil, power will be lost.

Have you looked into a fine metal gauze?

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Spelling. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Noz said:

Did sorting the niggles net anymore bhp?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to that mapping session, but I don't believe fixing the issue made any difference to the BHP as it was only around 30mph anyway and only seemed to be prevalent on the road rather than the dyno

On 10/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, Frank Bullitt said:

How tight for space are you?

The Jenvey stuff could probably be made to fit using a bespoke plate between the TB trumpets and body. There will obviously be a little outlay but you don’t seem afraid of that. The flip side is that sock filters have always been a compromise but I am thinking back to the 90’s!

ITG have been around a long time, good quality stuff from what I remember.

RAM air, (again going back a few years) used to be less dense than ITG.

From personal experience of running twin Dellorto 40’s and later 45’s the slipover style was found to be quite restrictive for power delivery and the filters tended to ride down the trumpets so you would end up with foam directly inside the trumpet opening. Don’t be tempted to investigate the over oiling route either, as this will make things worse. I went with K&N marine filters in the end.

Unless you are convinced your engine will run in dusty conditions you could consider running clean filters only but without the oil they won't remove any of the fine dust that causes engine wear.

Just remember the moment you add oil you will restrict airflow and if the airflow capability is at or below the required amount before adding oil, power will be lost.

Have you looked into a fine metal gauze?

Thanks for all this info, super helpful!! 

There isn't a great deal of room to be honest, not sure on the exact measurements but I don't think there'll be space for a big airbox or anything. 

I'd be keen to try a metal gauze to be honest, I reckon that's the least restrictive option, and I don't plan on driving through any dust clouds, maybe something similar to this: https://www.demon-tweeks.com/revotec-air-inlet-gauze-243494/?sku=GLOAIG63BLK&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptwlxmra&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_dXtERHf5XWDfQg0qydwQm9-yLWblG8VfH4e6VntrNsJt2dVZOfOeEaAhwXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 

It's probably just worth me just emailing/calling these companies and getting their opinions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eightdip said:

Thanks for all this info, super helpful!! 

There isn't a great deal of room to be honest, not sure on the exact measurements but I don't think there'll be space for a big airbox or anything. 

I'd be keen to try a metal gauze to be honest, I reckon that's the least restrictive option, and I don't plan on driving through any dust clouds, maybe something similar to this: https://www.demon-tweeks.com/revotec-air-inlet-gauze-243494/?sku=GLOAIG63BLK&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptwlxmra&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_dXtERHf5XWDfQg0qydwQm9-yLWblG8VfH4e6VntrNsJt2dVZOfOeEaAhwXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 

It's probably just worth me just emailing/calling these companies and getting their opinions

No worries at all. The K&N filters I adapted were similar to these (picture attached) - https://www.knfilters.co.uk/air-filters/marine-air-filters.html

Just be careful regarding asking sellers of parts their thoughts. Not all will be upfront if it risks looking a sale. I think if it was me I’d be hitting up Chris Wilson (https://www.mkivsupra.net/profile/28-chris-wilson/) as this sounds like his sort of thing but he is old school.

So email or phone, no PMs 😁 [email protected] or 07971-952084

48506AC5-3A10-48DA-86A1-89B3BD049CD0.webp

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 7:36 PM, Frank Bullitt said:

No worries at all. The K&N filters I adapted were similar to these (picture attached) - https://www.knfilters.co.uk/air-filters/marine-air-filters.html

Just be careful regarding asking sellers of parts their thoughts. Not all will be upfront if it risks looking a sale. I think if it was me I’d be hitting up Chris Wilson (https://www.mkivsupra.net/profile/28-chris-wilson/) as this sounds like his sort of thing but he is old school.

So email or phone, no PMs 😁 [email protected] or 07971-952084

48506AC5-3A10-48DA-86A1-89B3BD049CD0.webp 12.31 kB · 4 downloads

Sorry mate just realised I never got back to you! I've ordered one of the socks I linked above to see if that will even fit, if so I'll get another 2 and see how restrictive they are then consider my options if I'm not happy. I got my brake pads actually from Chris so maybe I'll give him a shout if I'm struggling!

• Like 2

So by way of a small update, I found that the socks do indeed fit so have ordered another 2 and will see how it runs after fitting.

Also I've done another video including some tunnel runs and some more dynamic driving up along the famed A537 in Macclesfield...in the pouring rain.

Enjoy!

Edited by Eightdip
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Watched the latest video.

The sound it makes is truly amazing. Reminds me of mine with a bit more raspiness up top.

My favorite part was the last scene where the car blasts off in the distance and you can still hear it from far away. This is what makes me fall in love with NA engines all over again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Herb said:

Watched the latest video.

The sound it makes is truly amazing. Reminds me of mine with a bit more raspiness up top.

My favorite part was the last scene where the car blasts off in the distance and you can still hear it from far away. This is what makes me fall in love with NA engines all over again.

Ah thanks Herb! It is a little too raspy if I'm being picky but it's the intake noise that's the most important! Yeah it's amazing hearing it from so far away, will have to get some more footage up there when it's less windy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Noz said:

Rubbing would be the offset bro.

Great video. Decent. Keep it up man enjoy watching.

Yeah I was hoping after rolling the arches I would have got away with it but unfortunately not, it happens so rarely to be honest that I haven't worried about it, I'm at Oulton Park next week though so will see how it gets on when I'm pushing

Thanks mate, appreciate that!!