The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA ITB Build - I've gone rogue

Eightdip

On 5/4/2021 at 3:45 PM, lowrider- said:

Awesome build!

Any updates?...

Thanks mate! Unfortunately no big updates at the mo, it's been temporarily on the back burner for a couple of months, hoping to have more done around the end of the month. 

I also plan to do some video stuff with it, dunno if that would be of interest to people?

6 hours ago, Pudsey said:

Interesting project this.

I am sure we would all love to see a video, and how you think it performs/ drives.

Will look out for updates, keep up the good work though.

These things are never easy.

I'm in for dyno plots!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So we finally have an update!

Pretty much everything done on the car (bar the brake servo assist) so we tried to get it started on Friday. Ran into a few hiccups and unfortunately still need a bit more time to get it started but I made a video wrapping up the back story of the car itself and documented our attempts at getting it firing if you want to check it out:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Noz said:

You'll get there mate! Keep at it. Most NA owners have had this issue at some point. That blood ignition system hasn't aged well.

Maybe check the earth's around the ignition components.

Cheers mate! We're pretty confident we know what to do to get it running, should be trying again on Friday so will post an update on here 🤙

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so a bit more of an update. After the above video was filmed, Liam took the car to get MOT'd and noticed there was a hesitation in the throttle around 2-3K in the rev range. Not undrivable but certainly not something I want to live with. 

We think it COULD be down to the longer duration/higher lift cams affecting the cam timing which is coming from the now unused dizzy (as I've changed to Whiftbitz coilpacks). Has anyone else had this problem when uprating cams and moving to coilpacks? 

I've been on holiday recently so haven't been able to head back up to help diagnose, but think it's something we need help from the community! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eightdip said:

Ok so a bit more of an update. After the above video was filmed, Liam took the car to get MOT'd and noticed there was a hesitation in the throttle around 2-3K in the rev range. Not undrivable but certainly not something I want to live with. 

We think it COULD be down to the longer duration/higher lift cams affecting the cam timing which is coming from the now unused dizzy (as I've changed to Whiftbitz coilpacks). Has anyone else had this problem when uprating cams and moving to coilpacks? 

I've been on holiday recently so haven't been able to head back up to help diagnose, but think it's something we need help from the community! 

Have you got adjustable cams.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, Swampy442 said:

Sounds like you need more revs there! Did it top out at 6100?

We started at 6500 and went up to 7500, eventually settling on 7200 as it didn't seem to like going up to 7500

On 8/8/2021 at 8:30 AM, Noz said:

Have you got adjustable cams.

Do you mean vernier pulleys? If so I do indeed but we've just set them to the middle for now

• Like 1

This is a great build, I'm in the process of doing something similar now. Although mine is much more slow going. How are you liking the efi setup? They are pretty much the only ones with anything to offer, I'm actually going to be using it on my 2jzge vvti which I have yet to see anyone do.

If possible I'd like to pick your brain about a few things.

On 8/9/2021 at 6:01 PM, Swampy442 said:

Tweaking the pulleys should give you some results

I did offer this up to Liam, but he reckons it's likely not the timing, more that the engine position/speed signal isn't clear to the ECU at certain points. Will wait until he's had a good look himself and see what he comes back with. It's all very much over my head 😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HighnessV2 said:

This is a great build, I'm in the process of doing something similar now. Although mine is much more slow going. How are you liking the efi setup? They are pretty much the only ones with anything to offer, I'm actually going to be using it on my 2jzge vvti which I have yet to see anyone do.

If possible I'd like to pick your brain about a few things.

Cheers! It's still not finished properly yet, I've not even been for a drive in it so can't vouch for the EFI setup yet. It was a real pig to make fit though, if you have a read through the thread you can see hopefully most of the issues we've run into. Welcome to ask any questions!

• Like 1