The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“Supra prices are in a bubble and will Crash”

tayr

I've owned supra's for over 25 years now and I think they are worth the increase easily.

For people to compare them inferior to an r34 well that's just bxllocks the supra is as good and better, you have to look at other cars to see the price hike like ford rs models and cosworth some are going for a 100k.

The trouble with this country is to many cheap scate chavs that think they can get everything for nothing that was the problem with the import market with the supra's coming in country too many cheaper models that allowed people that would not normally be able to afford this car buy, now the available cars are getting thinner on the ground and people are moaning.

Some one once said on here to me that sounds like snobbery well it ain't just facts

Absolutely, this.

Supply is far lower than demand for these cars. How many Classified adverts are currently posted v wanted threads?

I remember a time when there were 100+ Supra’s for sale on Pistonheads....now take a look.

Eventually all the unloved, poorly maintained examples will disappear and the marque will be held in greater esteem.

• 1 year later...

It seems the ones that moan about the selling prices are either the ones that already own them or used too 😂 

it is crazy how the Jap scene has gone.. R34 GTR’s especially 

people may think the Supra is the better car but the 34 still an iconic car (last of the skylines ) and with a few different very low number specs I can see why due to its still very large fan base .. I’m one of them

if I was loaded I’d buy one for sure lol

I think for most of us it’s just a little hard to digest from the speed of inflation these cars have had

most of us never really had any vehicle increase in value like this

to think I bought my TT6 for 14k and now there going past the 40k mark is insane 

of course it has its down sides with spare parts also on the increase but it’s a nice feeling I might even break even with the money I’ve spent on it lol

13 minutes ago, mplavery said:

It seems the ones that moan about the selling prices are either the ones that already own them or used too 😂 

it is crazy how the Jap scene has gone.. R34 GTR’s especially 

people may think the Supra is the better car but the 34 still an iconic car (last of the skylines ) and with a few different very low number specs I can see why due to its still very large fan base .. I’m one of them

if I was loaded I’d buy one for sure lol

I think for most of us it’s just a little hard to digest from the speed of inflation these cars have had

most of us never really had any vehicle increase in value like this

to think I bought my TT6 for 14k and now there going past the 40k mark is insane 

of course it has its down sides with spare parts also on the increase but it’s a nice feeling I might even break even with the money I’ve spent on it lol

The grass is always greener on the other side.

I’m not trying to have a dig at you, but have you actually ever driven one bud? I drove a few before settling on my first Supra (and again recently) and I can’t think of one area where the R34 GTR excels the Supra, aside from production numbers, but we are (unfortunately) rapidly catching up.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the appreciation ride. 😂

Edited by Mo Reviews (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Mo Reviews said:

I’m not trying to have a dig at you, but have you actually ever driven one bud? I drove a few before settling on my first Supra (and again recently) and I can’t think of one area where the R34 GTR excels the Supra, aside from production numbers, but we are (unfortunately) rapidly catching up.

I have to admit, I was left underwhelmed by the R34 experience and that was a V-spec II. the interior felt super cheap also. 

I still think they are cool and can appreciate them, but I prefer the Supra. 

I’m sure there will be many lurkers who sold up that are shocked by the spike, I’m not surprised in the slightest and believe we are no where near the peak yet. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SPG said:

I have to admit, I was left underwhelmed by the R34 experience and that was a V-spec II. the interior felt super cheap also. 

I still think they are cool and can appreciate them, but I prefer the Supra. 

I’m sure there will be many lurkers who sold up that are shocked by the spike, I’m not surprised in the slightest and believe we are no where near the peak yet. 

Wholeheartedly agree.

4 minutes ago, Mo Reviews said:

No it’s fine mate

Thing is your assuming I’d buy it as if I think it’s a better car.... not the case at all .. it’s a car I’ve always liked and had a real soft spot for and never got round to owning when I could 

Like a friend of mine wouldn’t go near a supra 

but he would by a lotus Carlton for 100k if he could lol

Oh and believe me im All for the Supra going up in price 😂 

4 minutes ago, mplavery said:

No it’s fine mate

Thing is your assuming I’d buy it as if I think it’s a better car.... not the case at all .. it’s a car I’ve always liked and had a real soft spot for and never got round to owning when I could 

Like a friend of mine wouldn’t go near a supra 

but he would by a lotus Carlton for 100k if he could lol

Oh and believe me im All for the Supra going up in price 😂 

As long as you don’t think they’re actually better in any way... 😉😂

2 minutes ago, Mo Reviews said:

As long as you don’t think they’re actually better in any way... 😉😂

I have heard what you have mentioned before and that the cost of modifying you need to sell a liver and a kidney to do lol

Na just I car I have loved the look of among other things.. interior is a let down though.. 

it also could be the want of something you never had and let down when you did get it lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Swampy442 said:

What I really want to know is, what the cars ACTUALLY sell for. For some reason that never gets disclosed

This is a valid point, in recent times I’ve seen a NA-T sell for £35k, and here in Scotland a Black TT6 just sold for £43,600, I know this as I was the person the buyer asked to look it over. 

Just a couple of examples I’ve seen recently. I’ve been asked to look over a White TT6 up here in Scotland for a Porsche Dealer who took it as part ex also, so can share what that sold for, if the buyer follows through with the purchase. 

Will check on the consensus but I’d love to engage with the club insurers to see if we can get a sit down around forum valuation services for members as I believe it’s an essential part of the club proposition going forward.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

What I really want to know is, what the cars ACTUALLY sell for. For some reason that never gets disclosed

Well HJC had a bronze supra which kinda sold before they put it on the site which was 45k I think and that was about 6 months ago

I remember someone on here buying one from Torque GT for 38k and that was a few years ago now

Torque GT have one for 60k ! 

so there definitely selling at these high prices 

A1E42998-C586-4EC8-8E36-2BE320F05BA0.png

20 minutes ago, SPG said:

Will check on the consensus but I’d love to engage with the club insurers to see if we can get a sit down around forum valuation services for members as I believe it’s an essential part of the club proposition going forward.  

This is much needed going forward.

Though, if I can speak candidly, the club's ‘approved’ insurers are no longer competitive. Insurers like Reis are now so far ahead in the game, as many have recently found, in terms of price and, above all, customer service. Could we perhaps consider approaching them in order to stay ahead of the curve?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mo Reviews said:

Have to agree here, the only thing the R34 has maybe over the Supra is the striking looks from stock, but then on a good day - a nicely subtle modified Supra (Rmm front lip etc) can look just as good. 

My brother has an R34 V-Spec & it drives like a Nissan Sunny, feels like a Nissan Sunny from inside. It was 100% Stock, felt boring & best way to describe it was bland. He then had it mapped by Abbey Motorsport with a link ECU & it didn't make a massive difference & I'm still not overly impressed. 

I may be over critical for comparing a 2.6 to my modified Supras currently, but if I recall, hell my previous UK Spec Supra TT6 90% Stock felt miles better 

Without sounding biased, I would much rather have 3 Supras then one R34. 

As nice as the R34 is to look at, the Supra will always be a better car imo, at least to drive anyway. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mplavery said:

Well HJC had a bronze supra which kinda sold before they put it on the site which was 45k I think and that was about 6 months ago

I remember someone on here buying one from Torque GT for 38k and that was a few years ago now

Torque GT have one for 60k ! 

so there definitely selling at these high prices 

A1E42998-C586-4EC8-8E36-2BE320F05BA0.png

Not long before they start advertising them as “POA” too... 😉

8 minutes ago, Supra2jze said:

Have to agree here, the only thing the R34 has maybe over the Supra is the striking looks from stock, but then on a good day - a nicely subtle modified Supra (Rmm front lip etc) can look just as good. 

My brother has an R34 V-Spec & it drives like a Nissan Sunny, feels like a Nissan Sunny from inside. It was 100% Stock, felt boring & best way to describe it was bland. He then had it mapped by Abbey Motorsport with a link ECU & it didn't make a massive difference & I'm still not overly impressed. 

I may be over critical for comparing a 2.6 to my modified Supras currently, but if I recall, hell my previous UK Spec Supra TT6 90% Stock felt miles better 

Without sounding biased, I would much rather have 3 Supras then one R34. 

As nice as the R34 is to look at, the Supra will always be a better car imo, at least to drive anyway. 

Not to mention the legendary Datsun rust.

By the time those cars hit the age of some of our ‘93 Supras, there will be hardly anything left of them... well, at least then they may stand a chance with such an improved power to weight ratio.

I guess you could say they lose weight faster than they lose horsepower... 😂

Edited by Mo Reviews (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SPG said:

A drum I've been bashing away at for years including sounding it to super mods to absolutely no avail.

Hopefully with a mod pushing it then its something that can be at least evaluated seriously. It has to be a win win for the forum and whoever the forum has as the official insurer of choice if anyone can be bothered to get it set up and running as a members only service or even a premium paid for service if regional assessors are appointed to actually appraise the cars in person rather than just doing a photo or in some cases, with the enhanced pictures people like, a photoshop plus paper exercise. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SPG said:

This is a valid point, in recent times I’ve seen a NA-T sell for £35k, and here in Scotland a Black TT6 just sold for £43,600, I know this as I was the person the buyer asked to look it over. 

And to think that cars are generally cheaper in Scotland 😂

Reis already give discount for being in the owners club.

We have more to gain than insurers. Massively so. It doesn't make business sense for them to collectively increase the cars value. Better to take the hit on individual instances.

Wasn't Sky sponsoring the forum at one point. They wouldn't even insure my 600hp even though it was 400hp for nearly ten years 🙄

It would have to be financially beneficial for the insurance company. Otherwise why would they bother.

If they provide good service whats the added revenue from being directly on the forum, when they'll get revenue from the recommendations anyway.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

On 4/24/2020 at 10:54 PM, Scooter said:

Jamie P's black TT6 was very cheap, I saw it on eBay but had no moneyback then! One of my TT auto's had a JM Imports sales invoice for £6,xxx (I forget exactly what) in around 2007. I think there was a red high mile tt6 that went for £3-4K from memory.

I also remember a guy selling his dad's, it was in scotland and he or his father was from New Zealand. Struggled to sell for £7.5k I think trader got it in the end brought it down south and made a profit.

If you've been through that it's hard to accept tt6 prices = Audi R8 ones!?

i struggled for months to sell my uk spec almost 10 years ago. i think i let it go for 5.5/6k or something in the end.  i did have decent miles on it though. then i baught a 6 speed single project race car with no interior for i think 7k that i rebuilt the head on and put in an interior and made a driveable car again.  i have no idea what its worth now. probably 20-30k

9 hours ago, Mo Reviews said:

This is much needed going forward.

Though, if I can speak candidly, the club's ‘approved’ insurers are no longer competitive. Insurers like Reis are now so far ahead in the game, as many have recently found, in terms of price and, above all, customer service. Could we perhaps consider approaching them in order to stay ahead of the curve?

I have been with sky since they were a sponsor on the club and always been the best for me but it always seemed a lot of others got a far worst deal with them 

They are struggling to keep up with the value of these cars now.. most I can get is 37k which is already under the current value of a TT6

So yea we need someone ideally to look at a club insurer again 

• Like 1

Seems the only way prices will crash now is if the economic conditions overall create a asset devaluation across the board ie everything gets hit and reduces. 

Has any car done a revival from the bottom of its depreciation curve and then subsequently plummeted back down? I'm sure there has been some classics that really peaked at a crazy number for one or two sales, but suspect they are still worth a lot just not to such a speculative amount? 

It would be interesting to know what car has yoyo'd hardest, I can't think of any of the top of my head!?  

Equally hard to see a car around now that gave us what the Supra did from 2000-2014 ish ie fast, reliable and good value/cheap.