The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“Supra prices are in a bubble and will Crash”

tayr

Was that not the closing bid, getting it over here and registered might add a fair chunk on to the OTR price.

I’m not overly surprised, I’ve spoken to a few of my friends in the US who are currently paying for storage in Japan until they can legal have them imported, which is generating a sizeable mark up.

Healthy price though, from memory that was a grade 4.5 also.

Was that not the closing bid, getting it over here and registered might add a fair chunk on to the OTR price.

I’m not overly surprised, I’ve spoken to a few of my friends in the US who are currently paying for storage in Japan until they can legal have them imported, which is generating a sizeable mark up.

Healthy price though, from memory that was a grade 4.5 also.

Sorry. That is the landed UK price :) it’s 54k Ex Japan without auction fee.

Yeh it was 4.5, still mental though! I really think they’ll hit R34 prices eventually

Price is always a function of availability, desirability and inherent demand. The first aspect can drive the latter aspects and they aren't making mk4 Supras any longer so availability is restricted and falling with time as cars are crashed or rust away. A car beyond the cheapest models available is not a functional item, its a design and personality statement and the Supra Mk4 is held in high regard in these emotional aspects. Then there is the demand, a bubble only burst if demand falls away and those holding the asset then seek to sell. This last aspect is critical to the pricing on any designer product, the more investors there are who could be referred to as speculators then the more likely it is that there is a bubble.

When classic car prices rose and fell as quickly in the naughty 90's there was a lot of speculators in the market. Probably most vividly seen in the rise and fall of e-types. You could join investment clubs where you would get to own a bit of something exotic like an e-type and your portfolio would rise and fall with the assets nominal value. As soon as the economy turned to recession and people were cashing in their investments then the price of e-types and the like crashed. It took the best part of 15 years for them to recover but you no longer see the investment opportunities in buy a bit of an e-type. So car bubbles are not what they were 20+ years ago as they are largely driven by enthusiasts.

Looking at the old car buyer market then its dependent on individuals with a bit of spare cash to be able to buy their toys and desperately want to buy a specific toy. This is where the market will rest in the future as demand for toys will fall as the age group driving the market age. retire and die. So for a toy to survive this transition in the medium term then its going to have to be a special kind of toy. That is the only question really, is the Supra Mk4 special enough? Probably. It has the iconic engine. The glamour of its film star image. Bullet proof over engineering. What more could you want in a car? So the Supra will be one of the more resiliant toys out there to retain a strong following but in the end, only the very best examples will survive to command silly prices.

Otherwise, we are coming to a good time, probably the golden time, for any Supra investors to cash in. Thing is, most of us aren't investors and there isn't much out there like a Supra that will pretty soon be road tax and MOT exempt and won't have the in new car spy in the cab cutting the gas because you happen to be doing 32mph. Watchword is - don't panic.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Tax and MOT exempt soon? You kidding right?

Car's need to be 40 years old for that I'm afraid. I wouldn't call 15 years soon lol. Faces on this forum will change greatly by then!

hoping to be able to grow a non patchy beard by then

The Americans have a massively lower importation costs, nothing like our duty, then Vat, with these being percentages, the at auction price increase means on the road UK prices are massive and given we are way behind the Americans on pricing/appreciation of the car in general then there's very few that want one now to outbid an american? The Red TT aerotop on ebay has come down a bit in price and looks very nice but no takers.

There will always be a market for these mint ones, and whilst very expensive these could easily be a downgrade for someone offloading a older classic? A mint low miler will require just decent storage to remain mint, a £15,000 regular car could require lots of work and might never be as good.

The Americans have a massively lower importation costs, nothing like our duty, then Vat, with these being percentages, the at auction price increase means on the road UK prices are massive and given we are way behind the Americans on pricing/appreciation of the car in general then there's very few that want one now to outbid an american? The Red TT aerotop on ebay has come down a bit in price and looks very nice but no takers.

There will always be a market for these mint ones, and whilst very expensive these could easily be a downgrade for someone offloading a older classic? A mint low miler will require just decent storage to remain mint, a £15,000 regular car could require lots of work and might never be as good.

Still £54,000 or $66,000 EX Japan though - and that's crazy

Surely I’m not the only one that think the prices are just going crazy now for these cars? If I was in the market for something I doubt very much I would be even bothering with supra’s now the same as R34’s.

I understand why people want these cars due to the “iconic” status behind them, so you can see why sellers are trying to get the most out of them. But so they actually sell for what’s listed or do they end up taking a serious hit and accepting a lower offer?

I remember when i got my first supra over 10 years ago, you were picking up TT6’s for under £10k and if you got really lucky under £5k! I’m sure there was a thread about someone picking up one for silly cheap...

Tax and MOT exempt soon? You kidding right?

Car's need to be 40 years old for that I'm afraid. I wouldn't call 15 years soon lol. Faces on this forum will change greatly by then!

Time is a very relative element of life that seems to go faster the older you are. I bought my Supra 22 years ago, has it really been that long? Hardly seems like yesterday.

Surely I’m not the only one that think the prices are just going crazy now for these cars? If I was in the market for something I doubt very much I would be even bothering with supra’s now the same as R34’s.

I understand why people want these cars due to the “iconic” status behind them, so you can see why sellers are trying to get the most out of them. But so they actually sell for what’s listed or do they end up taking a serious hit and accepting a lower offer?

I remember when i got my first supra over 10 years ago, you were picking up TT6’s for under £10k and if you got really lucky under £5k! I’m sure there was a thread about someone picking up one for silly cheap...

Jamie P's black TT6 was very cheap, I saw it on eBay but had no moneyback then! One of my TT auto's had a JM Imports sales invoice for £6,xxx (I forget exactly what) in around 2007. I think there was a red high mile tt6 that went for £3-4K from memory.

I also remember a guy selling his dad's, it was in scotland and he or his father was from New Zealand. Struggled to sell for £7.5k I think trader got it in the end brought it down south and made a profit.

If you've been through that it's hard to accept tt6 prices = Audi R8 ones!?

With the heritage parts programme moving at snails pace, and with bo real guarantee of which parts will actually be reproduced, you might see a fair few more Supra’s bite the dust before reaching the 40 year old exemption status.

Sometimes you have to pay what most deem to be a high price to secure something that’s worth keeping in the future, but sometimes you get lucky too I guess.

Yeah i think it's a genuine GZ and remember the auction (think an Australian member lost out to the trader)

Just with the way things are and a recent auto hardtop sale of £20K that it's potentially a good buy......what would it be in a Jap auction?

I've owned supra's for over 25 years now and I think they are worth the increase easily.

For people to compare them inferior to an r34 well that's just bxllocks the supra is as good and better, you have to look at other cars to see the price hike like ford rs models and cosworth some are going for a 100k.

The trouble with this country is to many cheap scate chavs that think they can get everything for nothing that was the problem with the import market with the supra's coming in country too many cheaper models that allowed people that would not normally be able to afford this car buy, now the available cars are getting thinner on the ground and people are moaning.

Some one once said on here to me that sounds like snobbery well it ain't just facts

• Like 3