Auto v Manual (Please bare with me...)

Crossy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have seen that today, not entirely sure I trust buying through eBay regardless of how much of a good project it could be, bad experiences in the past! Sounds like it's had a strange set up process so far aswell, think I'll keep to my aim unless I get the itch for another big project :)

I think the OP needs to ask himself the question, what do I want from a driving experience standpoint in a Supra? The last thing you want is thinking that your missing something from the car every time you drive it.

For me I always knew that I wanted a TT6 and have never regretted it since. Every time I drive my car its an adventure and that does not mean I'm hooning around in it all the time.

Even going for a gentle Sunday drive, the car is so engaging.

I'd advise to go out in both an auto and manual car to get a feel of both and then make a decision based on that. Also put in to perspective what your long term and end goals are with the car. It's better to plan now and save money in the future.

The one thing I would say about an Auto is that the box if used " correctly " is very predictable although this may take some time to get used to, In BPU the auto is an awesome car, I find it very easy to drive as the gears are long and it will pull through most the gear. As for drag racing a high 12sec pass is possible in a stock, everyday tyre'd car. I would happily take you out in mine if you ever find yourself around East Berkshire.

Have seen that today, not entirely sure I trust buying through eBay regardless of how much of a good project it could be, bad experiences in the past! Sounds like it's had a strange set up process so far aswell, think I'll keep to my aim unless I get the itch for another big project :)

eBay's fine - it's just another medium for advertising a car, you just have to do the same diligence as if you were buying from autotrader or pistonheads. I wouldn't pay that for it anyway. It was rather a tongue in cheek post, but a cheap base if it's an ok ish na - t upgrade, the 'redline' mapping issues worry me. What does he mean? :D

Save up for the manual or prepare to spend the rest of your ownership coming up with new and inventive ways to justify why you bought the inferior version....!

Yup, that pretty much sums it up. :)

Oh you went and did it didn't you... :taped:

I've no hate for things listed on ebay, just had bad experience myself so far, the one car I bought through their had more deep lying unobvious problems than I could have imagined; that and when I was viewing GT4s I viewed about 6 off eBay and they were nothing like the ads :(

Driven 3 x versions and in my opinion the tiptronic gearbox is best for the Sup. The manual is heavy and in traffic is a bit of a pain but fun. The auto really is a good gearbox for driving and will get you down the road quicker than a manual. The tip is the best of both worlds in my eyes.

If your racing around the ring then the manual is best for control.

The Sup is quite light for a car of its age and type and Toyota spent a lot of time trying to reduce weight.

Most high end GT cars were auto, Tiptronic or nowadays flappy paddle manual is saved for lower spec cars. Saying that my other cars are both 6spd manuals:p

Most youngsters who think autos are for old men will always want a manual but the best thing you can do with a mkiv Supra is buy the best you can that has had all the work done that is needed nowadays(Suspension replaced, oil pump, valve stem seals, Engine hoses and seals,intercoolers, good turbos, good service record since being in the UK, rust free) . Once you have ticked all that off then take them for a drive and once bought enjoy.

If you end up with an auto you wont be dissapointed. If you get a 6 speed single (Holy grail) look after it.

All just an opinion but trying to help:D

Personally I like a really involved driving experienced and like to be kept busy with a manual box.

The supra is a barge as it is, having an auto in it limits the fun in my opinion.

This is so much crap! You think Gtr owners, Ferrari owners, Lambo owners, touring car drivers, rally car drivers are removed from the driving experience because they haven't got a clutch pedal or a lever to fiddle round with? No. Changing gear with a stick doesn't equal driving nirvana. In my opinion of course

This is so much crap! You think Gtr owners, Ferrari owners, Lambo owners, touring car drivers, rally car drivers are removed from the driving experience because they haven't got a clutch pedal or a lever to fiddle round with? No. Changing gear with a stick doesn't equal driving nirvana. In my opinion of course

It's not crap, I genuinely think they are missing out.

You are replacing the many actions & skill required to use the clutch and shift a manual box up/down successfully, with a tap of the flappy paddle or leaving the autobox in D.

I'm not arguing that these sort of auto/semi auto systems are slower than a manual, they are usually faster. But if we are talking about the "fun" of driving, then I honestly can't think of anything worse than jumping in a sweet car to find out I can't pedal it like I want to. We live in a world of comforts and everything being served on a silver platter half the time, it's nice to jump into something that requires a bit of a fight to drive hard before it rewards you.

Also comparing the supra autobox to a lambo or rally car style gearbox is pretty funny. Credit where it's due it was a nice box back in the 90's, but it is in no way similar to driving a modern DCT box or a full on rally box.

I passed and drove manual for a few years. All fine. Jumped in a Auto NA supra and never looked back. The supra drives really well for a auto compared to alot of other autos i have driven, Clunky and delayed gear changes etc. But after driving auto for a few years ill never get a manual car again, its just too simple to not want for me.

You are replacing the many actions & skill required to use the clutch and shift a manual box up/down successfully, with a tap of the flappy paddle or leaving the autobox in D.

I'm not arguing that these sort of auto/semi auto systems are slower than a manual, they are usually faster. But if we are talking about the "fun" of driving, then I honestly can't think of anything worse than jumping in a sweet car to find out I can't pedal it like I want to. We live in a world of comforts and everything being served on a silver platter half the time, it's nice to jump into something that requires a bit of a fight to drive hard before it rewards you.

Also comparing the supra autobox to a lambo or rally car style gearbox is pretty funny. Credit where it's due it was a nice box back in the 90's, but it is in no way similar to driving a modern DCT box or a full on rally box.

As above tbh, if you want a modern auto/flappy paddle box go the bmw box route as I am sure they are excellent.

Agree with this. Well said.

So driven plenty of auto and tip Grand tourers or sports cars then?

Even Porsche were using tip at the time so not comparing to new cars.

Each to their own. My current fleet has manual and tip but. I dont get the clutch and clunky tractor box brigade who dont listen to other views

Each to their own. My current fleet has manual and tip but. I dont get the clutch and clunky tractor box brigade who dont listen to other views

I actually think it’s the other way around.

“Auto is the best” blah blah

Have a look at any manual Supra wanted thread and it’s not long till an auto owner pipes up “have you driven an auto” blah blah

It's some of both depending on the how the individual reacts to the downsides or how they take to someone else saying x y z is best/better. Manual is always considered a purer driving experience, fair enough I agree, it's harder work to pedal/more rewarding.

Is it best in all circumstances no, are they priced where people will pay the extra, depends, but enough think so to have created the gap, in some ways the overall argument is settled by the price ie manuals are better because they are more expensive?

• 1 month later...