The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jakes RZ Supra Build Project Thread. Officially Sponsored.

ripped_fear

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you make the exhaust shield mate, totally from scratch?

Yeah a very long time ago- http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?280684-GUIDE-How-To-Make-a-Carbon-Exhaust-Surround

Link to the Taylor made mate please mate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170700539934?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not the greatest quality, the ones in the silver one were better, but they dont make them anymore. Will try these for the time being as they were cheap and I hate the OEM ones.

So just had some great news that my new DA machine polisher is arriving tomorrow morning, few days earlier than intended! Conveniently on my day off so the job for tomorrow will the to 3 stage polish the whole car, and if time fit the RMM lip sat waiting to go on (all weather depending). Cant wait to get started on the exterior because then its engine bay!

In other news ordered some new OEM toyota boot rubbers, and only one came as I incorrectly ordered, :rolleyes: so another is now on its way.

Been using it lots recently, and even though its only been local trips to see friends, random drives, and to work once, been trying to put a few miles on it to get to know the knew car. Overall am really enjoying the car and it really is a different car to my old NA.

Job list is racking up slowly but as yet haven't found anything major, just little niggles, which I'm happy about.

The Main thing after I have put some more hours into it, is to get the archs rolled or cut, (Speaking to Baldy tomorrow hopefully) and maybe tackle the suspension and brakes in the New year.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Yeah a very long time ago- http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?280684-GUIDE-How-To-Make-a-Carbon-Exhaust-Surround

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170700539934?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not the greatest quality, the ones in the silver one were better, but they dont make them anymore. Will try these for the time being as they were cheap and I hate the OEM ones.

Good job on that exhaust surround man, just seen it! that would look nuts in 8D carbon wrap

You'll be surprised how long it'll take to do your car mate depending on what finish you're after. It took me from around 9am-5pm to wash/clay and then polish the car (5 section passes x2) as it needed it to remove the swirls.

Make sure you have a few of each pad you want to use as they get hot and need swapping over now and then/ cleaning out. I drew a line on the backing plate as it clearly shows that it is spinning (it'll make sense when you use it) With the Das 6 pro I've found speed setting 5 adequate to fix damage and nearer to 4 for a spruce up shine (polish and pad combo depending)

Don't forget to prime the pads with water/quick detailer if there brand new pads and I think it's rain tomorrow mate :-(

No rain so far but miserable, and no polisher yet.

Good job on that exhaust surround man, just seen it! that would look nuts in 8D carbon wrap

Thanks mate, it is wrapped in 8D wrap now, see previous page

Yeah fantastic work, might have to have a go at that!

Do it mate its cheap but time consuming.

You'll be surprised how long it'll take to do your car mate depending on what finish you're after. It took me from around 9am-5pm to wash/clay and then polish the car (5 section passes x2) as it needed it to remove the swirls.

Make sure you have a few of each pad you want to use as they get hot and need swapping over now and then/ cleaning out. I drew a line on the backing plate as it clearly shows that it is spinning (it'll make sense when you use it) With the Das 6 pro I've found speed setting 5 adequate to fix damage and nearer to 4 for a spruce up shine (polish and pad combo depending)

Yeah Im well prepared for it to take a day. Thanks for the speed setting advice. Looking forward to having a play.

Had a fun afternoon. Unfortunately the Da is running late so no polishing today, If I can free up tomorrow I will do it then but weather is looking poor.

So anyway today, I have removed the stock lip and fitted a polyurethane RMM earless lip, Removed the number plate, fitted a stock lower mouth trim as it was missing, fitted the exhaust heat shield and popped the new mats in (some much better than OEM IMO).

Did a little automotive archaeology on the car while I was under it, and noticed it still has the first cat in place so its not full BPU as I first thought. Unfortunately I have no clue how to interpret the HKS boost controller so want to get it booked in somewhere to go over it, and tell me what it does and doesn't have, and what bar of boost its running.

Did also notice hanging behind the bumper is a oil cooler too.

Anyway some pictures of today's work, and I'm very pleased with the front end now. Looking much tidier.

Before

attachment.php?attachmentid=206370&stc=1&d=1446563162

During

attachment.php?attachmentid=206372&stc=1&d=1446563162

After

attachment.php?attachmentid=206373&stc=1&d=1446563162

attachment.php?attachmentid=206375&stc=1&d=1446563330

attachment.php?attachmentid=206378&stc=1&d=1446563330

Oil cooler

attachment.php?attachmentid=206371&stc=1&d=1446563162

attachment.php?attachmentid=206380&stc=1&d=1446563387

attachment.php?attachmentid=206379&stc=1&d=1446563330

attachment.php?attachmentid=206377&stc=1&d=1446563330

Realised I haven't posted an engine shot- Currently accumulating bits to smarten it up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=206374&stc=1&d=1446563162

Matts-

attachment.php?attachmentid=206376&stc=1&d=1446563330

And packed away as its raining

attachment.php?attachmentid=206381&stc=1&d=1446563387

DSC_1153.jpg

DSC_1154.jpg

DSC_1155.jpg

DSC_1157.jpg

DSC_1158.jpg

DSC_1160.jpg

DSC_1163.jpg

DSC_1164.jpg

DSC_1166.jpg

DSC_1167.jpg

DSC_1168.jpg

DSC_1170.jpg

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Very nice Jake. Like the wheels on it they look good in the colour, they bring out the blue nicely, just need blue bolts. Good work :thumbs:

Thanks mate they are growing on me, although long term I think a wheel change will be on the cards, or at least another re-furb of the wed's and slightly change the centre piece colour.

At long last!!!:D:D:D:D

Well done on the new car mate. Cant wait to see you get this up to the standard of your NA.

I lost the love with mine this year but trying to regain it again now. I even thought of selling it in the summer and using the money towards an ALFA 3.2 V6 JTS Q4 :taped: but changed my mind at the last minute;)

What happened to the old car?

are you going to colour code the lip eventually? think it will look better :)

Think I will keep it unpainted, not too sure atm though. Have plans for the new bumper so maybe will paint the RMM then, but I do like the unpainted look and it makes life easy RE stone chips and grounding out.

At long last!!!:D:D:D:D

Well done on the new car mate. Cant wait to see you get this up to the standard of your NA.

I lost the love with mine this year but trying to regain it again now. I even thought of selling it in the summer and using the money towards an ALFA 3.2 V6 JTS Q4 :taped: but changed my mind at the last minute;)

What happened to the old car?

Thanks mate, it has a long way to go but she will get there in the end.

No way! dont sell it mate looks a lovely example to me! Alfa's are lovely cars but reliability not so much.

The old one had to sell, :( But has gone to a good home. Supraleeturbo's dad Jose has bought it. And already has it up at SRD for some love, so at least it hasn't gone to some young right foot heavy 20 year old ;) Even though that was me when I bought it :p

So works going well today, until RAIN!

Two stages down on the 3 stage polish. hoping the weather perks up in a bit so taking the opportunity for some lunch.

I'm impressed with the DAs6pro its doing a sterling job at brining the paint back. Just want to finish it now!

Pictures obviously don't show a great deal as there is still compound on the panels.

attachment.php?attachmentid=206420&stc=1&d=1446639741

attachment.php?attachmentid=206421&stc=1&d=1446639741

attachment.php?attachmentid=206422&stc=1&d=1446639741

attachment.php?attachmentid=206423&stc=1&d=1446639741

attachment.php?attachmentid=206424&stc=1&d=1446639741

attachment.php?attachmentid=206425&stc=1&d=1446639767

DSC_1171.jpg

DSC_1172.jpg

DSC_1173.jpg

DSC_1174.jpg

DSC_1175.jpg

DSC_1176.jpg

Absolutely stunning colour mate.

I have changed my mind recently from blue and now I'm going white (let down by my wrap supplier) but your pics are making me regret that decision a little!

Thanks mate, sorry to hear about your troubles, shame as the blue you picked looked very nice. Are you still doing it yourself?

Looks great, I love that colour. For some odd reason its bugging me you don't have a front Toyota badge, I was considering removing mine but I don't think I will now haha.

Thanks mate, still undecided on weather to keep the OEM badge on the front on the new bumper or not. It is growing on me I have to admit.

Can the panels be tweaked a bit to line up the bonnet to wing line above the headlamps?

Yeah working my way though that list, just adjusted it slightly has improved, the weather is really against me so will play with it properly next day of tinkering.

So she is 3 staged polished! Still need to put a coat of wax on but the weather today is not going to allow that. Very happy with the results and it no longer feels like sand paper. Its lovely an smooth and after some wax it should look great.

Gave it a quick wash off afterwards and a quick dry off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=206429&stc=1&d=1446648943

attachment.php?attachmentid=206430&stc=1&d=1446648943

attachment.php?attachmentid=206431&stc=1&d=1446648943

attachment.php?attachmentid=206432&stc=1&d=1446648943

attachment.php?attachmentid=206433&stc=1&d=1446648943

attachment.php?attachmentid=206434&stc=1&d=1446648997

attachment.php?attachmentid=206435&stc=1&d=1446648997

attachment.php?attachmentid=206436&stc=1&d=1446648997

DSC_1179.jpg

DSC_1180.jpg

DSC_1185.jpg

DSC_1188.jpg