berg

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Set about fitting the R154 conversion yesterday

All went on well and within 3 hours everything was swapped over, took a while to do the clutch as i had it all bolted to the flywheel then realised the box wont go back on due to the release bearing parts not allowing the box to go high enough, so had to remove it all and put it onto the input shaft and tighten it through the inspection hole.

Old W58 vs new R154 from the chaser

Had to replace the pilot bearing too as the outer cover had come off (assuming its been caught by the input shaft while fitting the w58) so the bearings were visable

New box all on

Now onto the Propshaft

Theres alot of information online regarding this but some of it is incorrect

An earlier mk3 style R154 may have the same spline as a W58, but these later models with remote shifter are different

W58 has 21 splines and the R154 has 23 splines and is also a slighter fatter splined end

This werent an issue as i was using the Chaser front prop section onto the W58 rear

Side by side they are almost idential length apart from a very slight amount

Anyway due to the the extra tail lenth on the R154 gearbox, the only plug and play type setup is using the first section of prop from a JZ30 Soarer, i found out the JZX100 chaser section is a little bit too long so cannot bolt together, and this photo is with the prop pushed all the way into the gearbox (which it shouldnt be)

Not a big deal though, propshaft has been taken to Dave Mac Propshafts in Coventry who are going to shorten and rebalance the prop to fit, and its cheap enough to have done

Other than that all good

Edited by berg (see edit history)

Very nice mate bet you're excited to test it all out :)

Unfortunately as i left things late the main test will be the drive to Germany on Wednesday

I have done a few miles tonight though and all is good

Its nice to now know the gearbox and clutch is capable of handling the power though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from the Nurburgring last week

1100 miles covered in 5 days including a trip to Dusseldorf (more miles in 5 days than its covered in the last 12 months lol)

I was nervous at first as i didnt finish getting the car back together until 24 hours before we left, mainly due to waiting for the propshaft to be modified

However the car never missed a beat and ran perfectly, new gearbox is great

I did however fit the stock viscous fan and cowling back on for the trip, knowing from previous trips how busy it gets through Brussells i didnt want to take any chances with twin fans

Have seen heaps of pic pop up on websites of the car on track so heres a couple (these are mainly from the Saturday and it was pissing down with rain but werent letting that stop me!)

Our group outside the centre

Cracking stuff mate and glad it all went to plan. Pictures look great too. Are you going back to twin fans then? What set did you have fitted before return to stock?

I will more than likely fit the fans back on as a set of srd fans popping up looks highly unlikely and they are ideally what i want as they are close performance wise to the stock fan.

They are Whifbitz twin fans with shroud, never had an issue since fitting them but the car hasn't really been sat in traffic for long periods of time so no idea what its like in that situation especially in the 30+ degree heat we had.

It probably wouldn't have been an issue with them on, i just didn't want to chance it being in a different country lol

looking good dude, I'd stick with the stock fan, paint it black and fit one of whifbitz carbon shrouds. Best of both worlds, looks and performance.

Hit the nail on the head really, that the next plan to be fair, as good and clean as it looks with the twin fans, it doesnt look bad with the shroud on so im having the fan carbon dipped and looking at getting a Whifbitz carbon shroud :)

Car looks great mate :thumbs:

Cheers dude :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Boring update, but started buying parts for the fuel system upgrade

Picked up a Wolbro 485 fuel pump

Also had some hose and fittings delivered

I just need injectors and a fuel pressure regulator now as fuel rail has been sourced

All looking good. That's a lot of fittings tho.

Its a twin feed rail so using a Y piece and running 2 lines from the filter just to maximise the single pump, and includes the fittings for plumbing the fuel pressure regulator in aswell :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Few more parts waiting to go on

Just waiting for my new intake manifold, throttle body and fuel rail to arrive Monday :)

I.D 1000 injectors with P&P wiring clips

Aem FPR and gauge

Fuel flex sensor for ethanol content

Although ive decided to put that on hold as its too risky using ethanol on the stock engine at high power levels