• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

So, I picked the car up yesterday. :)

I have to give credit to Darren and the guys at Whifbitz in Enfield, they've done a great job of fitting it all, and it really looks fantastic in the flesh.

Unfortunately, it doesn't drive very well, because Syvecs haven't finished sorting the gearbox software out yet. :( Romain has been doing a lot of work on it, but they're waiting to get hold of a stock car to test all the stock gearbox outputs. It appears that the initial Syvecs Tiptronic R&D work was, to put it politely, 'insufficient' (there's a NSW version too :D) . That's no reflection on Romain, and certainly not on Whifbitz, who to be fair have really gone above and beyond to get this issue sorted.

I was reluctant to pick the car up before this was all done, but it's got to a point where it's holding up other jobs, and I couldn't put it off any longer. But Paul (at Whifbitz) and Romain are going to get it sorted, and then we can download the new gearbox map by remote when it's done. I can then give them feedback and the map can be tweeked accordingly.

On the plus side, it sounds amazing. The billet wheel Garret GTX turbo has a very distinctive whistle to it, and because it's currently not running a bov, the compressor stall sounds brutal. Much louder than on my old GT35R single. The HKS Superdragger also sounds great on the car.

Unfortunately I really don't know how responsive the setup is yet, due to the unpredictable nature of the gearbox at the moment, but it certainly feels lively.

Hopefully I'll know more next week :)

Sorry to hear of your troubles but if nothing else it looks epic. Problems with taking new and Un tested routes I guess, but I'm sure once you have it all ironed out it will be incredible.

Thing is, I didn't know it was an untested route when I started. Syvecs advertise the fact that they had already done one, but from what I gather that car drives like mine, and the owner has been okay with it :blink:

I'm confident they will get it sorted, and I'm sure syvecs will be much more careful in future about claiming "plug and play compatibility" before thoroughly testing their product. If nothing else, at least other tiptronic owners will benefit from my misfortune.

Thing is, I didn't know it was an untested route when I started. Syvecs advertise the fact that they had already done one, but from what I gather that car drives like mine, and the owner has been okay with it :blink:

I'm confident they will get it sorted, and I'm sure syvecs will be much more careful in future about claiming "plug and play compatibility" before thoroughly testing their product. If nothing else, at least other tiptronic owners will benefit from my misfortune.

I have met someone with a single turbo tiptronic and I'm sure it was running a Syvecs. This was a few years back but he said the car had destroyed gearboxes and just accepted he needed to rebuild the gearbox :blink: I was thinking it was something to do with the map/setup even back then so makes sense they weren't aware of a problem.

I have met someone with a single turbo tiptronic and I'm sure it was running a Syvecs. This was a few years back but he said the car had destroyed gearboxes and just accepted he needed to rebuild the gearbox :blink: I was thinking it was something to do with the map/setup even back then so makes sense they weren't aware of a problem.

Whifbitz built a really nice one a few years ago that used the stock ecu for gearbox control, could have been that one I guess? Was it a white stock body?

That's bad form on their part. And seems strange that both the mapper and owner of the other car aren't fussed.

At least you will have a unique car and you have helped some r and d on this setup. It will all be worth it even if it takes that little bit longer. I for one would be wanting some sort of compensation from syvecs if this is where the issue has stemed from.

Chin up mate, keep at it.

That's bad form on their part. And seems strange that both the mapper and owner of the other car aren't fussed.

At least you will have a unique car and you have helped some r and d on this setup. It will all be worth it even if it takes that little bit longer. I for one would be wanting some sort of compensation from syvecs if this is where the issue has stemed from.

Chin up mate, keep at it.

Cheers :)

I can't understand it either, but really that is between the mapper and the owner of that car. But I would be very interested to speak to him about it.

I've already received an apology from Syvecs, and so long as they get my gearbox working at least as good as stock, that will do me. Although if they offer me a good will gesture I won't turn it down :D

They also need to get the factory tiptronic dash display working too, as it's just flashing up an error message at the moment, though again, I'm sure this is something they will sort quickly. :)

Bit of a shocker then really for you. :(

Sorry to hear the situation as you know I have been keenly following progress, and like you thought the way ahead had been developed/ trialed/ resolved.

Fingers crossed the team manage to develop the plug and play solution, as im pretty sure there is a good market for it.

I will keep my eyes peeled for progress updates in the mean time. ;)

How will You describe that new DBW system? Better than standard? I read somewhere that standard toyota one is very basic and not good for single turbo and aftermarket ecu.

It's hard to say at the moment, as I can't use the throttle as I would normally due to the gearbox issue.

But it takes a little getting used to. The new pedal doesn't have as much feel as the stock one, which is perhaps why Toyota stuck with a cable type. But it does seem more responsive, idle control is much simpler, the whole setup is simplified, and a replacement throttle is a fraction of the price of a stock vvti one. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade imo. I've also gained cruise control, though think it needs a little tweaking as the speed seems to drop off a bit.

Bit of a shocker then really for you. :(

Sorry to hear the situation as you know I have been keenly following progress, and like you thought the way ahead had been developed/ trialed/ resolved.

Fingers crossed the team manage to develop the plug and play solution, as im pretty sure there is a good market for it.

I will keep my eyes peeled for progress updates in the mean time. ;)

Cheers mate :)

It's not been a straightforward process for me unfortunately, I did my best to prepare the car for this work, and a few aspects have backfired with expensive results. But thankfully Paul (Whifbitz) was absolutely on the ball when it came to finding solutions to the issues, and really went out of his way to help, heavily discounting stuff and even basically giving me an exhaust (although I did return the favour by giving him my old Ti exhaust at a very good price).

It's hard to say at the moment, as I can't use the throttle as I would normally due to the gearbox issue.

But it takes a little getting used to. The new pedal doesn't have as much feel as the stock one, which is perhaps why Toyota stuck with a cable type. But it does seem more responsive, idle control is much simpler, the whole setup is simplified, and a replacement throttle is a fraction of the price of a stock vvti one. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade imo. I've also gained cruise control, though think it needs a little tweaking as the speed seems to drop off a bit.

Ok.Thank You for answer. I'm at the moment in process of completing all the parts that I will need for my single conversion, and not sure if I should stay with factory dbw throttle or go for Whifbitz or maybe pre facelift gte.

Cheers mate :)

It's not been a straightforward process for me unfortunately, I did my best to prepare the car for this work, and a few aspects have backfired with expensive results. But thankfully Paul (Whifbitz) was absolutely on the ball when it came to finding solutions to the issues, and really went out of his way to help, heavily discounting stuff and even basically giving me an exhaust (although I did return the favour by giving him my old Ti exhaust at a very good price).

:think: Does that mean that "basically giving" is the same as "giving at a good price", even though nothing was "given" at all. ;)

I am no auto box expert, but as far as I am aware the Tiptronic box is no more able to take excess torque than the "normal" TT auto box. And as I have several auto boxes here that even mild single turbo engines have destroyed under the control of the stock ecu I haver to conclude the auto box is not up to running single turbo torque. I have a customer VVTi Tiptronic car car here that the owner has bought an S6 Plus Syvecs ECU for and umpteen sensor etcetera, but it's sat in the box. Until someone has one running a VVTi twin turbo running the stock sequential turbos, and the FBW and the auto Tiptronic perfectly there it stays as far as I am concerned. Sounds like a LOT of hassle. I *ALWAYS* take the attitude that I want to physically have a drive in , or at least talk in person to a knowledgeable owner of a car that running some fancy set up via a none stock ecu. I remember the AEM auto box control debacle from years ago.

I am no auto box expert, but as far as I am aware the Tiptronic box is no more able to take excess torque than the "normal" TT auto box. And as I have several auto boxes here that even mild single turbo engines have destroyed under the control of the stock ecu I haver to conclude the auto box is not up to running single turbo torque. I have a customer VVTi Tiptronic car car here that the owner has bought an S6 Plus Syvecs ECU for and umpteen sensor etcetera, but it's sat in the box. Until someone has one running a VVTi twin turbo running the stock sequential turbos, and the FBW and the auto Tiptronic perfectly there it stays as far as I am concerned. Sounds like a LOT of hassle. I *ALWAYS* take the attitude that I want to physically have a drive in , or at least talk in person to a knowledgeable owner of a car that running some fancy set up via a none stock ecu. I remember the AEM auto box control debacle from years ago.

Other than the Tiptronic valve-body, it's same as a T.T. auto box.

Other than the Tiptronic valve-body, it's same as a T.T. auto box.

So someone with a VVTi Tiptronic *COULD* fir a none Tiptronic valve body and gear change lever and simplify stuff, control wise? If they were happy to lose the paddle shift ability? The electronics of the auto box control for an aftermarket ecu would then become a lot more basic?