The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

It didn't go ahead.

The owner of the Tiptronic car they're going to use for testing works shifts, and was forced to cancel at the last minute.

It's been rearranged for this Monday, and so the same thing doesn't happen again, Whifbitz / Romain / Syvecs are kindly providing him with a hire car for a day or two.

So hopefully next week we'll have a solution. Whether that will be a full fix, or just a point in the right direction remains to be seen :)

Edited by j_jza80
Proportional representation (see edit history)

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jay,

Romain replied back to me with your below email copied in.

As for the gearbox, it is a night and day improvement In auto. It's still not there, as it sometimes it is too eager to change up, and immediately drops down again when you even feather the throttle, and at other times is is holding the gears for too long. But the changes feel smoother, they're definitely more consistent, and the box feels like it is locking up much earlier than it was before. The paddleshifters actually work in both 'D' and 'M' now strangely. There is still a pretty violent cut in power sometimes on say 80% throttle, which feels like it is something to do with the gearbox.

But it's definitely progress, and I feel I can actually drive it around in auto now. Good work guys :)

In order for me to adjust more to i am waiting for the datalogs from the updated map i sent which actually had the base map values put back in as the cut will not be related to the gearbox control but most likely a boost cut or fuel safety cut of some sort.

As i said before this is all in the Calibration so to help you out i have actually done a video explaining how easy it is to adjust the shifting points to be how you want like Stock. This is a far better way of doing it as you know the car better than anyone and as long as you save the calibration before editing its very easy to revert it back.

Its Paul and Romain looking to borrow the car btw, we are just aiding costs to ensure every party is happy to learn more about when the lockup is kicking in on a completely stock setup and shifting but as explained above you can actually adjust yourself to suit on the shift schedule in Scal. The Base calibration which was sent was actually for a single turbo where it was adjusted to suit the different torque curve.

As i also said before you have my email but have yet to hear anything and still stand by my statement that the issue lies in the calibration not the Product.

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Ryan.

As per the email you have quoted from, the car is indeed driving better in auto than it was, much better in fact. But it is still pretty undrivable in auto, and as further driving has revealed, it either skips up to 4th far too quickly, and then immediately drops to 3rd, or it just stays in second and revs high before reluctantly changing up to 3rd. I have found the only way to drive it is in manual, but that is still not right either.

I wasn't aware I was supposed to be sending you anything? Romain asked for me to do some logging for him, which I will be doing, but as I explained to him, I was away at a family wedding for much of last week. I haven't had chance to do anything yet, and it will likely be early-mid next week before I get the opportunity.

Thanks for the video :thumbs: Just gave it a quick watch, will study it in some more depth over the next few days and start having a play with the software.

About the hire car, you are right, Paul specifically says in his email that he has organised it. I am sure in a previous email it was said that Charlie @ Syvecs was involved with this, but as I'm sure you can appreciate, I have that much correspondence regarding the gearbox issues, that it is difficult to keep track of what is happening.

The Base calibration which was sent was actually for a single turbo where it was adjusted to suit the different torque curve.

still stand by my statement that the issue lies in the calibration not the Product.

Which is fair enough, I don't disagree with you, and I think if you read back through this thread, I haven't once said anything negative about the S6 plus ECU. It is a great product, and I believe it is great value for money when you take everything into consideration. My comment about R&D was specifically to do with claiming compatibility with this car, when there aren't any tiptronic Supras that drive well with the Syvecs gearbox control - yet. I don't doubt that you are right when you say that it is something that can and will be sorted, but the fact that literally months after reading on the Syvecs website that it was compatible with my car, we're having to scope a stock car to get an idea of why it doesn't drive well, proves my point. This wasn't a comment on your physical products, or your on other gearbox management on other cars/models, and if it came across that way, I am sorry.

I will even remove said comment from this thread once my car is working, and I'm given a guarantee that other tiptronic owners won't be subjected to a mapping process that can be measured in months. :)

There is also the matter of the stock gear display not working yet, and the warning light subsequently being illuminated, but that can wait until the control side is done.

As per a few pages back, I changed my headlights and tail lights for brand new facelift items last year. I didn't do the indicators at the time as they looked okay, but after fitting the new headlights it really showed them up.

They would come up alright after a Polish, but I thought considering I had already spent a fortune on the lights, a little extra was worth spending to get it looking 100%, so I bought some brand new OEM ones. There are cheaper copies available on eBay, but I was told by Keron that the copies aren't near the same quality.

Much better :cool:

Taking the car to my fabricator tomorrow to fit a flexi section on my exhaust (to take the strain of the exhaust system off my HKS manifold), cap off the HKS lambda boss in my downpipe, and install my Turbosmart recirculating BOV. As the car will no longer make the compressor sound, I took a quick video while out in the car earlier :)

The Turbosmart BOV is adjustable, so if it tighten it right up the car should still make this sound if I want, but I will most likely leave it on a civilised setting :)

More importantly, me and Ryan (mostly Ryan :D ) have been ironing out the mapping issues with my gearbox. So I've been driving the car about, taking notes about the way the car drives, and then sending Ryan the Syvecs logs via email. He has then been adjusting the map suitably, and in just a few days, we (again, mostly him :D ) have got the car driving so much better than it was before. Really impressed with Syvecs, and the ability to adjust the maps in this way is just amazing, saves so much time. Really impressed with Ryans work too, as every time a new issue crops up he knows what the cause is and the solution. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, no updates really as I've not really had much time recently to play with the car. Ryans last tweeks a few weeks ago got it driving much better, and hopefully soon I'll be able to resume ironing the last of the issues out.

As for the turbo, it is fantastic. :cool: spools up very quickly, and the power delivery is so instant and linear, making the car extremely capable on my favourite roads, helped out by the fantastic TRD diff. I'm not getting any traction issues either, even with the relatively skinny 255 width rear tyres.

The downside of course is that you miss out on the drama you get with biggest turbos when they come on boost, but as mine is a daily, it's just perfect.

While I've not tried measuring the performance, it is clearly more responsive than the stock twins, and I'd say that on my max boost setting (1.6 bar), I'm getting full boost by around 3000rpm in 4th.

Given the syvecs controls the engine, the gearbox, and the boost, I wonder if there's a way of comparing the rpm vs boost vs gear in the Syvecs datalogging software?

Yeah I expect it can mate, even my aem fic can do that ;)

I hate when people say full boost at 3000 rpm in 4th , for the fact that my auto would kick down if I was trying to put to much load on so cant really compair.

Shame theres still no resolve with the gearbox issues,

Can Ryan not explain how you make the adjustment for the gear box and you set it yourself how you want it ? I havent seen the software but would of thought it was numbers in cells that you can change at rpm and boost points

Yeah I expect it can mate, even my aem fic can do that ;)

I hate when people say full boost at 3000 rpm in 4th , for the fact that my auto would kick down if I was trying to put to much load on so cant really compair.

Shame theres still no resolve with the gearbox issues,

Can Ryan not explain how you make the adjustment for the gear box and you set it yourself how you want it ? I havent seen the software but would of thought it was numbers in cells that you can change at rpm and boost points

To be fair to Ryan, he's been absolutely on the ball sorting stuff, the lack of any recent progress is completely my own fault :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

Yes there is a way to compare all of that in the data logs; do you know how to pull one from the car? If not, head to the syvecs website and have a nosey or download the software and I'll send you a quick how to! Lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How's the car running J has there been anymore progress, have you driven the car much or is it too bad to drive as a daily?

Hi mate, sorry just seen this.

Ryans last lot of mapping really did iron out a lot of the previous issues. It still has a few, but is so much better than it was. Been driving it daily, and even though it's not quite there yet, I love it :cool:

Had a lot on over the last few months with my dad's various car projects etc, and the Supra has been somewhat neglected. But I've been using her pretty much daily, without any issues, except for a leaking coolant pipe to the turbo (a poor design by HKS) which is now sorted.

Anyway, I recently spotted a forum member selling a brand new Mishimoto radiator for a bargain price,so decided to snap it up. There's nothing wrong with my rad, but I thought I'd get it changed as preventative maintenance, and while I'll still get something for selling my rad. I've subsequently had it powdercoated.

I've also had a spare fan painted, just to get rid of the discoloured original

I've also got a set of Mishimoto rad hoses waiting to go on. I'll get the coolant dropped, and get it all done in one go. Probably going to paint the rad shroud too, but not decided on the finish yet.

Otherwise, I spent 12 hours detailing her last week, with great results. Thorough wash, full clay bar, 2 stage polish, and 2 layers of wax.