Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks awesome! :) what RPM roughly are you expecting full boost?

It's very hard to say. Given its small size and billet wheel, i should fully expect it to outperform a gt35r, and they are generally on full boost by 3500rpm. In addition, my vvti should help a little too, though there are few reliable figures around as to how much difference it makes.

As Nic said before, its not going to want to spool any faster. My main issue is going to be traction :D

It's very hard to say. Given its small size and billet wheel, i should fully expect it to outperform a gt35r, and they are generally on full boost by 3500rpm. In addition, my vvti should help a little too, though there are few reliable figures around as to how much difference it makes.

As Nic said before, its not going to want to spool any faster. My main issue is going to be traction :D

Wow, that's gonna be a real kick up the backside :D are you going for 295/35 rear tyres or something similar? I'm thinking about getting the Pilot Super Sports in a 295/35 on a 19" rim and I HOPE it's enough to maintain traction, although I've heard it's harder to get traction on a 19" than it is an 18"

As above :) It's rated to 600hp max, but to be honest I'm not interested in numbers, just how it drives. I should think it will be the fastest spooling Supra on the forum, or certainly not far off.

I've had my eye on one of these for ages, as a downsize from a GT3582R. Theoretically, same power, but much faster spool. I'll be interested to see a boost curve plot from this :)

I dont know a lot about quick spool valves, but i assume you need an undivided manifold, and a divided turbine housing?

I doubt it will need any help spooling though :D its hard to tell at the moment, but illI'll post up some pics of the engine bay when i get the car back showing the scale of the turbo. It's much smaller than most would go for. :)

Ditch the 19's Jacky

This.

In my experience, the Supra can be over-tyre'd as well as over-wheeled. 19s do not work with the Supra suspension, period. 18s at a push, 17s are perfect. 18s in my opinion are the best trade off between looks and function.

For diameter, I tried many combinations on my car. On the front, I tried 235/40, 245/35 and 245/40, for the rears I tried 265/35, 275/35, 285/30. I didn't try each combination, but the one that I settled on was 245/40 and 265/35 on 18 wheels. I believe it had a nice, neutral balance. Traction seemed better over the 285, mainly I think due to the sidewall.

That combination on a lightweight 18" wheel with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s would be killer.

Ditch the 19's Jacky

Can't do that, they look too good (and cost a lot)

This.

In my experience, the Supra can be over-tyre'd as well as over-wheeled. 19s do not work with the Supra suspension, period. 18s at a push, 17s are perfect. 18s in my opinion are the best trade off between looks and function.

For diameter, I tried many combinations on my car. On the front, I tried 235/40, 245/35 and 245/40, for the rears I tried 265/35, 275/35, 285/30. I didn't try each combination, but the one that I settled on was 245/40 and 265/35 on 18 wheels. I believe it had a nice, neutral balance. Traction seemed better over the 285, mainly I think due to the sidewall.

That combination on a lightweight 18" wheel with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s would be killer.

Does a larger width tyre cause a smaller sidewall then?

Each width tyre has a range of different wheel widths they'll fit on. The wider the wheel, the more tyre stretch, and hence reduced sidewall. The smaller the tyre, the more feel you get, at the expense of ride and grip.

Of course, thats only a rough guide. But these people who run loads of negative camber and stretched tyres ruin the way the car drives.

Small update, the turbo, intercooler pipe and intake etc are on, though we've decided against the BOV recirc as it looks messy. So it'll vent to atmosphere for now, see how I get on with it. :)

The car is booked in for mapping next Thursday, so all being well I can pick it up by next weekend. :cool: Can't wait to get it back now :D

Water and oil lines.

What about them? :D

Looking forward to the finished article, you might well need your spare gearbox after all.

:D

I hope not :D But worst case scenario, if I do break it, I'll fit the spare and get this one rebuilt with uprated parts. I'm not going to be ready for a different gearbox for quite a while yet :)

What about them? :D

I hope not :D But worst case scenario, if I do break it, I'll fit the spare and get this one rebuilt with uprated parts. I'm not going to be ready for a different gearbox for quite a while yet :)

You don't see water cooled ones used very often.

I am hoping it lasts forever just fine, as it gives me another reason to talk myself into a conversion myself.

:D

I gather the more commonly used Precision units are air/oil cooled? I don't know how much benefit it will be considering the sort of use the car will get, but I've had several Garrett turbos on various cars, and never had an issue with them. :)

Yes same here, never personally had an issue either.

Got to be better with both methods of cooling I'd only guess.

The only issue I know of is the heat of the turbo, manifold etc can be very hard on the flexi water pipes. I'll look at getting some hardpipes made up for the oil and water pipes, with small flexi sections further away, next year or the year after. It'll be much harder wearing, and will help achieve an OEM-ish finish. :)

Well, tomorrow is mapping day :taped:

This is the first time I've had any of my Supras mapped, understandably I'm a little nervous. But the car couldn't be in better hands with Whifbitz and Romain from Syvecs, and the car was running perfectly, so hopefully it will be uneventful :D

All being well, I'll collect her on either Friday or Saturday.