The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project: Ric's Gunmetal Carbon Ridox

Ric

Looking great Ric. I went with the only option not shown, and that’s an alternate gear knob with a gator in the auto panel. Putting the shifter into L didn’t always make it with the manual surround in place as the leather sometimes bunched up. That put me off using the manual surround for an auto even though I think it looks a bit nicer.

Messing further with the gearknob i printed another design with a beefier support and collar to stop the gator sliding down.

22402083-5386-4A5C-90DD-5223E7E9A3B8.JPG.b19a675a3c6060d01c567aff8866f8a3.JPG

I also decided to switch to the auto panel again. The manual one was nice but the metal ring just didnt fit properly giving the nice finish i wanted.

D46ADD95-BA0A-45D9-93F5-63C99B42B7CD.JPG.283e375e1bbfa481578473a2757dbcf1.JPG

2 pic of the interior (finished for now!)

IMG_1155.jpg.58b2b8caecc8d27eb6b001a74d5f91c1.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg.97d08438158443fa77728d8862f3bddf.jpg

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Small update here.

My 3D printed gearknob adapter kept failing. The last version was pretty strong but if i pushed forward too hard one day it would snap.

So i took to machining one from steel, first time i've ever tried anything like that so it was fantastically neat.

5D451971-84F7-4C68-9A48-75F8DCBAAA2B.thumb.JPG.71aaed92e86e6931bec2696bfc4030b0.JPG

I reprinted the collar without a thread and bonded it onto the shaft. This way the gaiter is still supported however the gearknob isn't going to snap off during a shift.

61272649331__35235BD8-13AD-42F2-B8D4-87581A8EE62F.thumb.JPG.d774581ac4576329727cc8e7246a7bbf.JPG

D46ADD95-BA0A-45D9-93F5-63C99B42B7CD.thumb.JPG.42799e91f81c8608813fda97481abbf1.JPG

I also refitted the auto panel. The metal ring on the manual panel didnt fit as well as i wanted.

D6C84254-71E0-4C88-940A-1E7C1547786B.thumb.JPG.1d637dab10af8c45c62f87bf87737a84.JPG

In the mean time i had a delivery of silicon hoses to try and finally install some pipes i've had for years.

2CB72DB1-07F4-418E-A76C-5D89836585FD.thumb.JPG.18addabae8207986dfd8652a017a1b0d.JPG

I've had this intake pipe for years which was meant for an induction kit. However i still want to use the stock airbox so i cut down the pipe to suit and joined with a reducing hose.

5A8CBD59-5495-49C6-B595-7A38769B8C43.thumb.JPG.6cda90425655f4e8d4bae427e1e7ae34.JPG

Then i eventually found an intercooler pipe what goes over the stock airbox. Thanks to Driftbear for that.

• 8 months later...

Lovely looking interior. Condition is spot on.

How did you get on with fitting the tweeters in the door panels. I'm re-doing my own doors and wondering if to go that route or use coaxial speaker. As replacing with 17cm.

What kind of triple pillar pod is that?

4 minutes ago, Noz said:

Lovely looking interior. Condition is spot on.

How did you get on with fitting the tweeters in the door panels. I'm re-doing my own doors and wondering if to go that route or use coaxial speaker. As replacing with 17cm.

What kind of triple pillar pod is that?

It's a bit daunting cutting a hole in your door panels. But overall not that bad. mine came with some clips to hold them in plus a lot of hot glue just incase.

The pillar pod im not sure. i think i bought it on here probably 4 years ago. Fits nice, Fiberglass with the texture on it. I had to trim the piece at the top as it went above the door like it does on the hard tops. Mine been aero it needed a trim.

8 minutes ago, Noz said:

I've been the only person who's ever made them that I've seen. Only reason I noticed it.

How did you wire the speakers in. In parallel with the door speakers? Or separate inputs to the stereo. Did you update door speakers as well?

There is a cross over unit behind the door panel. Comes with most component sets.

I originally fitted larger speakers with SRD's brackets. But changed back to the OEM GZ pods and just changed to smaller Hertz speakers with TB Development brackets.

1 minute ago, Noz said:

Changed back because you weren't happy with the quality?

My plastic covers in the door were missing/ripped at the time. I didn't like the idea of the speakers getting water over them, Or the MDF brackets getting soggy. So i bought new door plastics and put in the original pods. I think the bass benefited slightly from it. But i never really have it mega loud anyway.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Just sharing a new pic from the car. Nothing really has changed, It's not being driven because of everything going on.

I did manage to pull it out of the garage for a quick dust down. 

The interior still gives me a smile. 

sup.thumb.jpg.7fa339ea05f812ef4d941c291b711c4e.jpg

Simpleh lovely

• Like 1

Alright guys. 

Hope everybody is doing well, I've just spent the last few hours going through my whole thread and removing the duplicated pictures i think occurred with the forum upgrade so it should be easier to read now.

Nothing really to update on the project. But I've just had my agreed value re-looked at and now insured for £35k with everything declared with Reis Motorsport £490 so happy with that.

Looking forward to getting the car back on the road ready for a more relaxed summer (fingers crossed)

I've got a few niggles to sort when im next working on the car. I have to get down to the bottom of an Airbag warning light coming on here and there and fit a new wiper washer pump seal as mine currently leaks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Noz said:

How did you approach the value convo. Just upped the price and they agreed?

Reis is new for me. Im currently with Footman James. 

I just sent all the information i have in my "document" Pictures, Values, Receipts etc.

Footman James gave a good renewal price but the whole agreed value (when starting the policy) was such a farce. I don't want to deal with it again if i request to put it up there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 11:21 AM, CBR said:

What color and paint did you use on the dash panels? Looks very OEM.

Cheers dude it's just black Plastidip. Very light finishing coats to give the speckled effect.

Didn't get the notification for a reply so a little delayed.

• Like 1

Small update as im trying to get the car ready for it's MOT.

Finally solved my airbag issue. which turned out to be a crushed cable behind the airbag itself. Makes a change that the error code gave some useful info being shorted to ground.

I cut out the damaged part, soldered and heatshrinked the cable again with Yellow heat-shrink.

1.jpg.77011a8fbb1ff716ebe57631bd0ea071.jpg

Next was something what has bugged me for a while but i've never bothered fixing. Screenwash leaking from the pump area on the bottle.

A fun task, removing half of the car to access it.

One new seal later and everything is fine.

2.jpg.942be0d992c0fb1ff86b022727fef619.jpg

0.jpg.97d41a677a27c22f23615f11be0428b9.jpg

Im still chasing an issue with my ABS. It's very intermittent which makes it hard to troubleshoot as most of the time the Light goes out as you'd expect and probably 20% of the time it stays on giving code 11.

I have some new relays coming which hopefully fixes it. Otherwise it's a loom/ECU problem. So that will be the next thing on the shopping list.

Boring update really 😄

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

On 6/6/2021 at 10:26 PM, Peter P said:

Hey Mate,

Not boring, it’s good to get these niggles fixed properly, no matter how small or trivial.

Looks like your getting there fella, ABS issue aside until the relays arrive anyway.

I enjoyed the update. 🙂 

Cheers, 

To update the new relays didnt help. The old ones tested ok anyways but was worth a try for the low cost.

However the ABS issue is now fixed. Ended up needing a new ABS ECU. Sods law the most inaccessible thing on the car given the mess most stereo wirings is in these cars.

Best i can figure is that the ECU was only sending the signal to the engine bay relays perhaps 60% of the time. This is why it was really intermittent. 

All the troubleshooting from the manuals regarding the wiring loom and actuator tested OK. 

Finally time for the MOT now.

• Like 1