The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW SUPRA!!1 erm... Toyota FT-1 Concept

Gaz6002

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
Totally lost the love for that after finding out its part bmw and hybrid:.

I read it's because to design a chassis the cost is crazy especially when it's a one off model in the range take Mercedes the c63amg chassis is used on loads of model variants right across the c class range right down to a c220d. I think BMW and Toyota will make a very good combo as BMW know to make a good handling car everything I have read so far says that the supra version will get the more powerful engine anyway hybrid is good move with technology will still have a turbo the electrical system will give it zero turbo lag :)

Looks like it's defiantly going to happen though Toyota chief engineer made a comment a few days ago https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/new-toyota-supra-to-launch-soon-currently-testing-at-nurburgring

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Latest blurb about the future of the Supra....

http://www.globalengines.co.uk/blog/2016/08/24/new-toyota-supra-2017/

To be honest I am losing all interest in the new car.... it set of with such high hopes of evolving the concept of the Supra brand and image and was originally looking great with a radical new shape and team work with BMW where by both long established companies could work together to produce something very special.

But now as time goes on it seems the brand/image of the Supra is going to become very 'dissolved' in to a range of hairdresser type vehicles and a tree-hugger version that will at least be given a modern amount of power to be called a sports/GT.

So this latest text in the link above suggests there will be a 2 litre 145 bhp version ...... WTF ?

The 'proper' MkV Supra being touted as a 6-cylinder hybrid but only coming with an auto box. Again, this cuts off a huge following for what the Supra should be as a driver's car.

To me it seems Toyota/BMW are behind the times by about 5 years in what drivers want.

A few years ago there was a fashion for all cars to be high power with fast auto-boxes which also employed tree-hugging hybrid systems.... but times have moved on quickly. Manufacturers have now actually been listening to customers and they realise drivers want cars to drive, not cars that do all the driving for them.

I think the new Supra is going to be a massive flop if they continue down this out-of-date approach and ignore what the Supra brand should be about.

The brand was always about being a driver's car, the new MkV in my opinion should be that, and more. Unfortunately it looks like it will be nothing like it. Instead just being another manufacturer demonstration on how many buttons they can provide on the dashboard all sat within a funky modern formed plastic looking shape.

Disappointing.

With a price tag of £70000, that is not a Supra. It falls into the same category as the R35 GTR, in the sense that they carried on the name but marketed it to a completely different type of person. It seems they are trying to cash in one the names but make it so that only the upper class can afford them, so what is the point, just call it something else.

The type of person that will buy the new Supra are the kind of people that work in management roles for "administration", or "consultants" or "human resources", within companies that don't seem to have any kind of discernible product or service, yet somehow seem to make shit tons of money while everyone else drowns in poverty.

Let's get some facts on the board.

So far, the only official thing to come out of Toyota is the release of the FT-1 concept, which the internet branded as the new Supra.

Can we not confuse concept art made by some random artists impression of what he thinks the car will look like presented on an unsourced clickbait article with actual official news released by Toyota.

Just look at the site the article is published on for christs sake, it's isnt even remotely connected with anything official. But hey, whats a great way to drive traffic to your otherwise unknown site? Oh yeah, create a completely fictitious article, link some random artwork about the Supra and half the supra fan boys will be directed to you (and hey whilst your there, why not buy a reconditioned engine!) Cheap marketing!

With a price tag of £70000, that is not a Supra. It falls into the same category as the R35 GTR, in the sense that they carried on the name but marketed it to a completely different type of person. It seems they are trying to cash in one the names but make it so that only the upper class can afford them, so what is the point, just call it something else.

The type of person that will buy the new Supra are the kind of people that work in management roles for "administration", or "consultants" or "human resources", within companies that don't seem to have any kind of discernible product or service, yet somehow seem to make shit tons of money while everyone else drowns in poverty.

Why would Toyota release a car that targets that demographic when the gt86 already exists?

There was no point in buying one brand new, like any new car in this country. Hence why the sales were so poor here, in the US a facelift Supra Turbo was around $40000 even by the end of production there as prices inflated, here you were looking at nearly £40000, the difference is night and day. One would forgive someone for thinking they were completely different cars.

20160828_191209.jpg20160828_191240.jpg20160828_191330.jpgI was quite suprised just a minute ago and think I see the FT-1 in a citroen DS3 add, I had a quick look on youtube for it but could see the add, im sure some of you egle eyed will see it soon enough and comment if im wrong or not , it was a light metalic green , odd it was on a citreon advert though

Please some see the add

Regardless if it is or not would like to know more about that car :)

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

There was no point in buying one brand new, like any new car in this country.

That's a slight over generalisation?

It'll be produced in relatively low numbers globally, so I don't think they're looking to sell them to people that can't afford them. Instead, keep some profit in them.

The bargain of the decade has to be the Ford GT. That was $80k on launch. How much are they worth now? Lots more last I looked.

How much was the GTR on launch and what is it igoing for now? I'm pretty sure the R32, R33 & R34 GTR's weren't £100k+ when they were launched and look at how much everyone raves about them now