The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW SUPRA!!1 erm... Toyota FT-1 Concept

Gaz6002

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently a prototype has been spotted in Germany for testing...

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/2018-2019-toyota-supra-first-prototype-spotted.358/

I don't think that "prototype" is much to do with the MkV Supra.

Looks nothing like it. The wheel base and track are different, different distance ratios between the front of the car to A-pillar etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was just some guy that has "done up" an old MX5 to look like a 'prototype' :)

Interesting to see that the SupraMkV domain has already been set up ready for the mass number of owners? ;)

Just in case anyone wants to know, this is much more likely a new bmw as the interior consists of parts from bmws:

- G11 7er (latest) gauge

- E89 Z4 (current) dash

- F30 3er (latest) A/C control panal

- F30 3er M-Sport steering wheel

I'm pretty sure Toyota will do their own thing in regards to interior and exterior appearance, more than likely just a shared chassis

And that's even if this is anything to do with this "shared project"

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Just in case anyone wants to know, this is much more likely a new bmw as the interior consists of parts from bmws:

- G11 7er (latest) gauge

- E89 Z4 (current) dash

- F30 3er (latest) A/C control penal

- F30 3er M-Sport steering wheels

I'm pretty sure Toyota will do their own thing in regards to interior and exterior appearance, more than likely just a shared chassis

And that's even if this is anything to do with this "shared project"

Don't forget the M4 GTS alloys.

Hopefully a similar engine arrangement to the BRZ / GT86, where BMW supply the base engine and Toyota breathe life into it. That way we'll get a turbo straight 6, otherwise it will likely be a v6 or God forbid an i4.

Do you mean for the Supra, or the car in those spy shots? Either way, yes, BMW's I6s are wonderful. The M2 is one of the best cars I've driven recently.

Do you have some insider knowledge ? Work for Toyota?

Seeing as modern "journalism" is nothing but gutter waste then I think he's just put 2 and 2 together and seen that it's just everyone jumping on the hype train. That car hasn't been confirmed as the supra. So you don't really need insider information.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems Toyota are low on confidence of their brand for a halo sports car.

I suppose after building the state of the art Lexus LF-A only for the likes of Richard Hammond to shit on it, and having not much success in motorsport outside of world endurance also has hurt them in the mainstream.

The primary selling points of a Toyota car is that it's reliable, re-assuring and has plenty of value (affordable for the customer, with good profit margin potential for Toyota), if they cant build a Supra that ticks these boxes then it wont happen.

I suppose after building the state of the art Lexus LF-A only for the likes of Richard Hammond to shit on it, and having not much success in motorsport outside of world endurance also has hurt them in the mainstream.

The primary selling points of a Toyota car is that it's reliable, re-assuring and has plenty of value (affordable for the customer, with good profit margin potential for Toyota), if they cant build a Supra that ticks these boxes then it wont happen.

I'm not so sure about that. The GT 86 shows there are car people in the company. Plus look at some of the recent Lexus designs - they aren't exactly shy!

FWIW, I do believe a new Supra is coming, but we haven't seen it yet...

Seen this on the TRD instagram earlier, it's a supra with the FT-1 "kit" on it. It actually goes really well and could maybe pass as a new supra*

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=214875&stc=1&d=1474774769

*by no means am I saying it is a new supra btw lol

I would buy that kit in an instant if it was available. Looks like a serious photoshop though.

I suppose after building the state of the art Lexus LF-A only for the likes of Richard Hammond to $#@! on it, and having not much success in motorsport outside of world endurance also has hurt them in the mainstream.

Clarkson said the LF-A was probably the best car he'd ever driven... I dont think Richard 'The Hamster' Hammond's comments mean fek all to the richest car company in the world. The LF-A also sold all its numbers before they finished them.

I agree with a lot of your third paragraph - maybe they're just waiting to see what the competition to, much like what they did when they released ours in trying to make sure it was better than the rest at the time in terms of final specs.