The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW SUPRA!!1 erm... Toyota FT-1 Concept

Gaz6002

That bonnet is far too long for a v6 as well.

S2000

They aren't going to design an entirely bespoke engine for this car, which effectively rules out a straight 6. My money's on V6, or possibly a V8. I just hope they get Yamaha in on the act like they did with the LFA.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they are perhaps considering a compact inline 5 engine, based on the LFAs engine architecture? That would sound fantastic!

2.5 I5 engine? Hmm... They're 5/6th's of the way to a newer version of the 2JZ.

An aluminium block version of the 2JZ, with an improved head with dual VVTi.

I don't know. I'd would say around 500hp would be necessary, given its competitors, but if they can get the weight down to something like 1200kg (unlikely), 400hp should be plenty.

At least if they concentrate on weight, they are improving performance and economy at the same time. Toyota have recent experience of carbon construction from the LFA program, which could be used to great effect here.

It will be the GT86's older brother, which hopefully will mean 400bhp and sub 1300kg. Toyota wont make the same mistake as they did with the GT86 and underpower the new supra. They have got to listen to there target audience and make it the car we all want. Its still early days yet so hopefully they can come up with something.

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

I don't know. I'd would say around 500hp would be necessary, given its competitors, but if they can get the weight down to something like 1200kg (unlikely), 400hp should be plenty.

At least if they concentrate on weight, they are improving performance and economy at the same time. Toyota have recent experience of carbon construction from the LFA program, which could be used to great effect here.

Agreed in principle. But 400bhp would not be a headline figure. People see in absolutes, not in the bhp/tonne. Also, carbon construction, whilst nice, will make it more of a contender with the McLaren MP4-12C rather than the GT-R in terms of pricing.

Agreed in principle. But 400bhp would not be a headline figure. People see in absolutes, not in the bhp/tonne. Also, carbon construction, whilst nice, will make it more of a contender with the McLaren MP4-12C rather than the GT-R in terms of pricing.

What about the Alfa Romeo 4C? Carbon tub, less than a ton, under £50k. I can't see why Toyota wouldn't be capable of using the same recipe to produce a 400hp car, weighing 1200kg for sale at around £60k. Toyota have a huge cost advantage given economies of scale, and the huge parts bin and talent pool they can use.

I love the GT86 and the fact it's low power but designed as a driver's car.

I would HATE for the next Supra to go the same way - it needs to keep the GT image; big and powerful! It can be lightweight of course with modern materials (cost dependant) but it does need 400BHP+, ideally 500BHP would be a good starting point.

One thing they can keep from the GT86 is the modifiability - over engineer the thing so people can up the power and make other mods without fear of bits falling off. Maybe they should give an early sample to JamieP for a month to see if it lasts! "New diff please".

• 1 month later...

This can no longer be called the new supra or even be associated with the supra in any way. It's a joke and has nothing but a similar shape in common with one. Completely against everything a supra is. Quite embarrassing if you ask me, especially considering Nissan brining out the GTR35 which compliments all past skylines. Looks horrible, and if they compare it to the GTR35 in any way they need shooting. Plus they said it's a Z4's replacement. I hate Z4's!

That looks bloody horrible! How did they manage to ruin the FT-1 shape so completely?! The BMW style front end looks like an after thought, just stuck on....

Having said that I was not convinced on the front end on the original FT-1 concept but it was better then that thing. I think its the BMW double grill thing that ruins it the most

Edited by JDukesy (see edit history)

FT1 = Toyota only project

New Z4 = Bmw and Toyota Joint partnership - the link just posted

This.

My friend who works for Toyota has just got back from a motor show where Toyota confirmed pubicaly the above but no more details than that. Apparenty there very cards close to chest and refuse to answer bhp questions etc.

Well maybe its worded badly (again) but it does say:

The first fruit of an alliance between BMW and Toyota will be a two-seat sports car that will bring performance-boosting supercapacitor technology to a series-production model for the first time.

[...]the new sports car will sire a radically different BMW Z4 replacement, previewed here, and a spiritual successor to the Supra, at which Toyota hinted with its FT-1 concept at the Detroit motor show in January.

So it sounds like the GT86-BRZ model; a hybrid chassis that will be used to build the Z4 and Supra on top, so it won't look like the picture as that's the equivalent BRZ, the equivalent GT86 will look (more) like the FT-1 concept, but that means it will be built on the same chassis and drivetrain.

The only potential saving grace is this line:

The new sports car will feature a front-engined layout. But unlike Toyota’s FT-1 concept, it is likely to be four-wheel drive thanks to the use of a direct-injection petrol engine and electric motors.

This kind of suggests that this "sports car" is separate to the FT-1, so who knows.

The BMW-Toyota partnership is not new news so don't panic.

Cars cost so much to develop nowadays that anything which doesn't shift in volume will become very expensive. The only way to make something a little different at a sensible price is to collaborate on R&D.

I think it's a great idea - hopefully with collaboration on engineering skills and facilities will produce a better vehicle.

The BMW-Toyota partnership is not new news so don't panic.

Cars cost so much to develop nowadays that anything which doesn't shift in volume will become very expensive. The only way to make something a little different at a sensible price is to collaborate on R&D.

I think it's a great idea - hopefully with collaboration on engineering skills and facilities will produce a better vehicle.

Good post :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...