The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW SUPRA!!1 erm... Toyota FT-1 Concept

Gaz6002

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say that?

kevin hunter says himself - There isn't an iconic sports car in the brand.

Its clear that they want a share of the performance sports car market. Toyota should be wanting a piece of the cake.

The FT-1 may not be released as dramatic as the concept, but a similar machine will be on the production line soon.

Guest marticus

Posted on the US site.

looks good without the nose

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/q77/s720x720/1016148_616007535138718_1561109266_n.jpg

Guest marticus
How is that bad new's exactly?

I think because a lot of people were hoping that the partnership with BMW would mean the next supra would retain a turbocharged IL six.

not sure why toyota feel the need for another lightwieght small engined FR coupe though

Edited by marticus (see edit history)

How is that bad new's exactly?

This is not the next supra. And if you read the link then it says

"If these reports are accurate, it would appear to indicate that the Toyota version of the Z4 is not going to be called the Supra, and that a sports car worth of the Supra name may either be developed independently by Toyota or not at all."

So if thats not bad news then what is?

This is not the next supra. And if you read the link then it says

"If these reports are accurate, it would appear to indicate that the Toyota version of the Z4 is not going to be called the Supra, and that a sports car worth of the Supra name may either be developed independently by Toyota or not at all."

So if thats not bad news then what is?

Very one dimensional thinking there.

This concept has nothing to do with the BMW/Toyota hybrid technology partnership so just because BMW say's it's not involved with the next Supra it doesn't mean there isn't going to be one.

They're totally different cars.

Well I hope so but that article is written so it sounds like this concept is actually the new Z4, and Toyota will sell a rebadged version of it similar to the BRZ-GT86 deal. Then there may or may not be a new Supra in the future but it's nothing to do with these images.

I may be reading this totally different, but I seem to be seeing it a little different.

The article is a smoke screen play on words. The Z4 that Toyota & BMW are working on, which will have a BMW variant and a Toyota variant won't be the Supra...... good, that's what I want to hear.

The FT-1 is what we think is going to be the new Supra, not what BMW are working on. The article barely mentions the FT-1 or the Toyota plans with the concept.

I may be reading this totally different, but I seem to be seeing it a little different.

The article is a smoke screen play on words. The Z4 that Toyota & BMW are working on, which will have a BMW variant and a Toyota variant won't be the Supra...... good, that's what I want to hear.

The FT-1 is what we think is going to be the new Supra, not what BMW are working on. The article barely mentions the FT-1 or the Toyota plans with the concept.

This. The picture of the FT-1 is a bit misleading if you read the article.

This. The picture of the FT-1 is a bit misleading if you read the article.

Correct, Ft-1 Design concept is totally irrelevent to the Z4 story. Bmw/Toyota partnership involving the Toyota Hybrid System II is over 3 years old now, and without doubt they will release a vehicle but as said countless times in the press and media, and by toyota themselves, this will not be a replacement for the Supra. Dezi Nagaya said in an interview regarding the GT-86 that any new true toyota sports would be powered by a gasoline engine and not a hybrid when he talked about the 3 future vehicles - the small sports car, the medium (gt-86) and the larger.

On another interesting note, back in 2007 there were 2 concepts commissioned by toyota from Toyota's Europe Design Development ED2 and Calty Design (FT-HS) - Toyota eventially took its styling cues from Calty for the the ft/gt-86

It states in the very first paragraph that BMW have nothing to do with the FT-1 concept.

That's all I need to hear.

Toyotas version of the Z4 will most likely be a Celica-esque replacement going by the engine size and chassis size of a Z4. However, I always saw the GT86 as the Celica replacement, so I could be miles off.

It states in the very first paragraph that BMW have nothing to do with the FT-1 concept.

That's all I need to hear.

Toyotas version of the Z4 will most likely be a Celica-esque replacement going by the engine size and chassis size of a Z4. However, I always saw the GT86 as the Celica replacement, so I could be miles off.

Miles..... :)

it was a "rebirth" of the AE86

Miles..... :)

it was a "rebirth" of the AE86

I know that, but the celica is no longer made, so I just viewed it as it's "replacement".

The '86 is a mid sized coupe, like the celica, and with Mr T's 3 new sports cars (small, mid-sized, large) I can't see how a Z4 platform would cover "small", unless they are going to bring out a nice little 2 seater roadster.

Edited by listy (see edit history)