The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non turbo VS twin turbo

Guest Andy.ecma

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running wise, my TTs have been the same cost to maintain as my N/As(actually my first N/A was more expensive to maintain than either of the TT's). Just make sure that it is a well looked after example and you shouldn't experience any real issues.

Is that because the engine was goosed Marc?

I struggled to get away from one of those 100Hp Fiat Pandas the other night. Very embarrasing for a Supra owner but then I'm N/A and going NA-T

1 person has. You need a lot of fiddle time. Knowledge and patience for it. I think it's taken David about 2 years so far. :p But his is a bit more complex.

It's far from a bolt on option. A lot is custom adapted to fit. Not an easy job. Check the build thread when you have a few days spare :)

Every na owner I talk to is going na-t or tt. Nobody is ever happy. "Yeah it's just stock at the moment but I'm going turbo next year"

The number of times I've heard that over the years...

I loved my na. Manual, LSD. It was lovely. And it was my first big engine car, Wish I'd kept it and changed the engine. But my first tt was bpu and frankly scared me... In a good way.

Has anyone fitted a supercharger to a NA and if yes what are their thoughts on it.

1 person has. You need a lot of fiddle time. Knowledge and patience for it. I think it's taken David about 2 years so far. :p But his is a bit more complex.

It's far from a bolt on option. A lot is custom adapted to fit. Not an easy job. Check the build thread when you have a few days spare :)

Davids was only so complex because he went for a Roots type Supercharger. Centrifugal Superchargers are MUCH easier to fit to the 2JZ, and are a known conversion in Japan. Infact, I think HKS did a supercharger kit for the 2JZ-GE engined IS300.

Is that because the engine was goosed Marc?

I struggled to get away from one of those 100Hp Fiat Pandas the other night. Very embarrasing for a Supra owner but then I'm N/A and going NA-T

I think we both know that there was a curse on that car :D

It's the only N/A that I know of that munched 2 engines, a gear box, went through about 6 front bumpers, then had someone write it off not that long after you had the bodywork done :(

Did you have the heater matrix go aswell when you had it?

I think we both know that there was a curse on that car :D

It's the only N/A that I know of that munched 2 engines, a gear box, went through about 6 front bumpers, then had someone write it off not that long after you had the bodywork done :(

Did you have the heater matrix go aswell when you had it?

Yeah, and the brakes, and the suspension, lol. Over the time we both owned it I think it'd been completely taken appart and rebuilt :D good learning curve. Touch wood, my aerotop will be ok.

NA engines are so cheap that it's generally easier to replace the entire engine if something goes wrong. My TT is 20 years old now, how much longer are those 20 year old turbos going to last? A lot of people take that as a sign to go for a single conversion but that's a big money commitment and a BPU supra is pretty much perfect for UK roads so hopefully they hang on a good while yet.

That said if I personally had a well kept NA supra I'd take a punt on an XS power setup for more power if I knew someone who could do it competently. Whats the worst that can happen? £100 - £200 and a bit of time spent.

Twinturbo ftw! Having never owned an Na i cant really comment but I would have hated to have bought an Na only to then crave the power of a TT but ive spoken to a few ex na owners that liked the fact the Na is more fun in twisties,

I cant see how tbh it may just be me but i like a loose rear end when exiting a bend obviously when done on purpose though, when it happens unexpectedly, just expect a bit of poo to escape :D

N/As look the part but make you want to hang yourself with regard to overtaking etc

N/A-T are fun cars but are more of the enthusiasts choice who wants to dabble with the car constantly

A TT with a PROPER FULL SERVICE HISTORY would be best suited If its been BPU'd thats nice but please make sure its been done with decent parts and reciepts for work etc

saying that there are plenty of pre facelift bargain TTs to be had for N/A money

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Every na owner I talk to is going na-t or tt. Nobody is ever happy. "Yeah it's just stock at the moment but I'm going turbo next year"

The number of times I've heard that over the years...

proof that I'm a weirdo lol. no plans for more horsepower in the near future. TBH the ponies mine has (despite many escaping over the last 20 years!) is enough for me to have a lot of fun and still learn.

one thing I will say to anyone- if you are a horsepower person and crave BHP, do not bother with an NA. I've always had the lower power version from cars and got my kicks from changing suspension etc, so totally different thing for me. but many drivers in owners clubs I've been in over the years never seemed to be happy until they got the top model.

I've owned an N/A, a TT and a single, and the NA is slow! :D

Seriously though, they're not too slow, and they're certainly not crap. They drive very nicely, and have enough power for decent overtaking. it's a shame they're badly overshadowed by their TT bretheren, but that speaks volumes about just how good the TT is.

This post saves me having to type my own response :D

I have an NA now, but have owned TT, BPU and single turbo Supra's before. The NA isn't slow, but it's not that quick either. I was bored with the performance from day 1 so spent time doing all the other stuff to make it go quicker in other areas (Brakes, suspension, clutch type diff, weight reduction, etc). It's a lot of fun to drive but I'm going back to TT as the power just isn't enough to keep me interested.

At the end of the day You really need to decide what you really want and what budget you have ... If you have 10k to play with you might as well enjoy the TT6

There both reliable juicy cars, I have had my TT for 8 years and replaced one rear wheel bearing and a few split rubber hoses ..

In terms of how fast the NA,TT are, you will get people saying the NA is quick, not that quick etc but it's all down to what your used to, what you have driven in the past.

I test drove a 2006 1.8 Toyota Cerlica for my brother and when I booted it I actually thought my 307 diesel was on par with it but his face lit up like a Christmas tree

If you know you will play around with it, modifying it to go faster then you will have more power gain choices with a TT, however as said before you can do a NA-T conversion if getting a NA

The main reason I got the Supra was for its performance...

At the end of the day You really need to decide what you really want and what budget you have ... If you have 10k to play with you might as well enjoy the TT6

There both reliable juicy cars, I have had my TT for 8 years and replaced one rear wheel bearing and a few split rubber hoses ..

In terms of how fast the NA,TT are, you will get people saying the NA is quick, not that quick etc but it's all down to what your used to, what you have driven in the past.

I test drove a 2006 1.8 Toyota Cerlica for my brother and when I booted it I actually thought my 307 diesel was on par with it but his face lit up like a Christmas tree

If you know you will play around with it, modifying it to go faster then you will have more power gain choices with a TT, however as said before you can do a NA-T conversion if getting a NA

I am still surprised your car is not a single turbo yet, saying that if my car looked like yours I don't think I would give a rat's arse what was under the bonnet, not that 420bhp is anything to be sneezed at..... not that I would know either :D

Why ever would you want to ruin your na bolting a cheapo xs power Anything to it,

And in reply to Al Massey, im not I'll informed mate as i m informing myself, I owned an na supra a civic ep3 type r ,a TT supra and a single t67 ,now my built t67 single, the name was bomb proof but slow focus St ,civics were faster,end of.the TT drove the best though so I'll say buy one of those,

I suggest Jay200bhp reads Rich.2211's project thread.

An 'eBay' XS power turbo kit, strapped to a NA which ran a 12.9 @116 at 7.5 psi of boost....

No built engine there...

Only limiting factor is the W58 gearbox.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely spot on.....

Why ever would you want to ruin your na bolting a cheapo xs power Anything to it,

And in reply to Al Massey, im not I'll informed mate as i m informing myself, I owned an na supra a civic ep3 type r ,a TT supra and a single t67 ,now my built t67 single, the name was bomb proof but slow focus St ,civics were faster,end of.the TT drove the best though so I'll say buy one of those,

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely spot on.....

Than either your cars were shite or you can't drive for sh*t

You're the only one who thinks that!

I am still surprised your car is not a single turbo yet, saying that if my car looked like yours I don't think I would give a rat's arse what was under the bonnet, not that 420bhp is anything to be sneezed at..... not that I would know either :D

I would like to single it graham but to be honest I don't really want to spend 7-10k on her

I'm waiting for the results on the hybrids Whifbitz are doing ... 500bhp would be nice

I would like to single it graham but to be honest I don't really want to spend 7-10k on her

I'm waiting for the results on the hybrids Whifbitz are doing ... 500bhp would be nice

I totally get what you are saying, it is funny when people say do this or that like everyone can just pull a few thousand out their arses at the drop of a hat.

Probably a nice safer route waiting for the hybrids too, good luck regardless I would love a car like yours any day of the week.

I totally get what you are saying, it is funny when people say do this or that like everyone can just pull a few thousand out their arses at the drop of a hat.

Probably a nice safer route waiting for the hybrids too, good luck regardless I would love a car like yours any day of the week.

Cheers Graham :thumbs:

Much appreciated