The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non turbo VS twin turbo

Guest Andy.ecma

yep a big juicy XS power one and then get ryan to look at it and boom 655 bhp!

it is that slow im afraid a civic type r is a faster car...and it will cost a fortune to just put a turbo on it fella

I have the NA and I love it, I do keep toying with the idea of a TT

the N/A isn't that slow at all, I love mine and glad that I didn't get the TT in the first place

you never know in the future might put a turbo on her :-)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andy.ecma

Some useful reply's thank you. What are the differences between the two. Assuming I found a really nice example of an NA and wanted to change the engine to a turbo later. Is there any major concerns? I'm concerned with Drive Train, Chassis Tension etc. I ask because finding a nice turbo with a manual gear box is tricky. Of course if I find one then great. Just a consideration.

Some useful reply's thank you. What are the differences between the two. Assuming I found a really nice example of an NA and wanted to change the engine to a turbo later. Is there any major concerns? I'm concerned with Drive Train, Chassis Tension etc. I ask because finding a nice turbo with a manual gear box is tricky. Of course if I find one then great. Just a consideration.

If there's a chance that you'll want to turbocharge it later, go straight for a TT. The Autos are so cheap, anything else is a false economy. If you specifically want a manual turbo car, buy a 6 speed TT, or a rare 6 speed NA if you fancy NA-T or a 1JZ swap. Don't buy a manual NA, it'll only cost you more in the long run.

If you buy an NA, and just fancy a little more power and character, there's the 1UZ swap too. :)

Owned a few variants now (TT, NA, NA-T), running costs between them all were identical really except for budgeting for all the mods to be declared to the insurance with the NA-T. MPG has literally been the same give or take 1-2 MPG. I would buy a TT personally unless you really want a project car and want to get your hands dirty. Nothing at all wrong with the NA but if you even have a inkling the power may not be enough then I guarantee in a few months you'll be hankering after a TT to see what the fuss is about.

All the above statements about power are true. If I had been sensible and waited and not spent any money on mods then I could have a TT now, however seeing as I had never driven a RWD car I believe I made the right choice otherwise there could be a good chance I would be communicating from beyond the grave by now.

To be honest there is not a lot of difference in running cost of an NA vs TT when driven normally. I have a TT and love it my mate has an NA and he loves that. The TT is a very fast car the NA is slow compared to it but it's not a slow car by any means. It all really depends whether you want to buy a good NA for £2500-£3000 or go all out and buy a TT from about £5500 for an auto a manual you could put another couple of g's on that. But going back to the running cost if I follow my mate up the motorway on say a hundred odd mile drive my TT uses the same amount of fuel it's only when I start to floor it the tank drains.

Hi I'm the mate with the NA and I agree with everything that has been said by all the members my experience is the NA is a great car I love it defo go manual though :) now the TT is a beast compared to it to be totally honest I drove fastcar's bpu and it scared the crap out of me that woz the day I knew it was na for me but my advice is buy the best condition supra you can good luck with your search mate :)

yep a big juicy XS power one and then get ryan to look at it and boom 655 bhp!

it is that slow im afraid a civic type r is a faster car...and it will cost a fortune to just put a turbo on it fella

Your posts always seem to annoy me with the "I no everything about nothing comments" please explain with lots and lots more detail..... have you put a civic type r against an na? I have as my mate has one and your comment is wrong in every way.

How also is putting a turbo on an na "a fortune" again your way out and un supprisingly wrong...... Again.

you posted on my carbon canard thread something stupid also if I recall and then with no reply once I had replied.

Strange one you are

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

Your posts always seem to annoy me with the "I no everything about nothing comments" please explain with lots and lots more detail..... have you put a civic type r against an na? I have as my mate has one and your comment is wrong in every way.

How also is putting a turbo on an na "a fortune" again your way out and un supprisingly wrong...... Again.

you posted on my carbon canard thread something stupid also if I recall and then with no reply once I had replied.

Strange one you are

thank you for backing me up pal n for his information I have beat a Civic Type R

Strange one you are

Well said

I was being blunt :)

I have to agree the n/a supra is way faster than a civic type r. My mate and his girlfriend have one and they both can't touch my n/a supra. Also I believe the n/a is a great car I have had mine over years now and she is a daily and gets driven hard and not once has she let me down.

Wouldn't say it is way faster than a Type R, having owned both I'd say they are roughly the same though the Type R is a lot quicker through the twisties.

I beat quite a few NA Supra's at Pod a few years ago in my Type R which had a clutch on the way out.

Mine was N/A for best part of 6 years and have to say it was the most reliable car I can imagine ever owning, it never let me down once

As others have said, they are not slow by an means, but they are not rapid either in the modern day

Running cost, nothing in it really, N/A fuel bill was slightly less due to be able to use standard Unleaded, where as now I only use V-Power

A well sorted BPU with Boost Controller is an animal and is a world apart from the N/A

They are both Supra's, but one is Pretty and one has the power to back up the looks

If I was to start again I would be looking at the TT Auto's, they are the best value Supra now

I got very close to selling mine, but due to me doing the bodywork and interior first and getting exactly how I wanted it, I had to push forward and spend on an engine transplant

Which ever you end up with, get used to it, even the N/A can catch you out if you are a bit heavy on the right foot.

The N/A is a much easier car to drive, but the way you are talking, you will wish you had boost come the summer

Wouldn't say it is way faster than a Type R, having owned both I'd say they are roughly the same though the Type R is a lot quicker through the twisties.

I beat quite a few NA Supra's at Pod a few years ago in my Type R which had a clutch on the way out.

Well my supra beats both my mates civic type R's quite easy and have beaten m3 e36 at pod in my n/a supra. If the n/a is set up right with few tweaks they are great fun to drive but can catch you out quite easy aswell

I dont know why people slate the n/a so much, i loved mine and they arent slow at all, ok they are no rocket, but they arent slow and can compete with plenty of cars especially on track where i think the supra is right at home!

Just because everyone looks at a supra and expects it to have 800+hp dont be ashamed of owning an n/a, just be prepared for people on here who have never owned one telling you how slow and crap they are ;)

Plus na-t is an awesome route so glad i went that way

just be prepared for people on here who have never owned one telling you how slow and crap they are ;)

I had 2, they are slow, HTH:D

But more seriously, it depends on your budget, if it's 6k, I would be looking at a getting the best N/A that there is rather than a ropey TT that needs work, if it's £10k then I'd be looking at a nice TT6 rather than a questionable single and if it's £20k, then I'd be looking at well built single, etc, etc.

The N/A is a nice car, but it's not a quick car, most hot hatches will outrun one, saying that, a TT is ok in pace but not that spectacular until it's BPU.

People on here moan that N/A's get picked on, well they do, but it's all in jest, they just get moody because they don't have anyone to pick on, it goes like so:

Big Single owners give cr@p to small single owners, small single owners give cr@p to BPU owners, BPU owners give cr@p to stock TT owners, stock TT owners give crap to N/A owners, who then moan :D.

Running wise, my TTs have been the same cost to maintain as my N/As(actually my first N/A was more expensive to maintain than either of the TT's). Just make sure that it is a well looked after example and you shouldn't experience any real issues.

I dont know why people slate the n/a so much, i loved mine and they arent slow at all, ok they are no rocket, but they arent slow and can compete with plenty of cars especially on track where i think the supra is right at home!

Just because everyone looks at a supra and expects it to have 800+hp dont be ashamed of owning an n/a, just be prepared for people on here who have never owned one telling you how slow and crap they are ;)

Plus na-t is an awesome route so glad i went that way

Spot on! :thumbs:

, just be prepared for people on here who have never owned one telling you how slow and crap they are ;)

I've owned an N/A, a TT and a single, and the NA is slow! :D

Seriously though, they're not too slow, and they're certainly not crap. They drive very nicely, and have enough power for decent overtaking. it's a shame they're badly overshadowed by their TT bretheren, but that speaks volumes about just how good the TT is.

I can tell you all for a fact though that they're not as fast as an EP Civic Type R, in a straight line or the twisties. I have a great deal of experience with both cars, even spending a weekend swapping between both on a regular basis on the best roads that Yorkshire and Southern Scotland have to offer :cool:

Big Single owners give cr@p to small single owners, small single owners give cr@p to BPU owners, BPU owners give cr@p to stock TT owners, stock TT owners give crap to N/A owners, who then moan :D.

I know :(

We need someone to give crap too lol

Well my supra beats both my mates civic type R's quite easy and have beaten m3 e36 at pod in my n/a supra. If the n/a is set up right with few tweaks they are great fun to drive but can catch you out quite easy aswell

This

I had autobahn manifold, double decat and apexi hard pipe in closed induction 5 speed manual and it was no slouch at all.

And as said I was never outgunned and it ran like a dream

People on here moan that N/A's get picked on, well they do, but it's all in jest, they just get moody because they don't have anyone to pick on, it goes like so:

I drove a stock tt a while ago and thought it had broke, god knows how slow an na is :run: not as quick as this smilie for sure :D