The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non turbo VS twin turbo

Guest Andy.ecma

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. I'm a pretty crap driver but I've beat a few ST205 celicas and GT86 this year in my stock engined NA. at one event I was the fastest street class car (interior, no track tyres, limited mods) at the whole event, very twisty circuit too.

I have lots of fun in my NA and its enough for me for the foreseeable, but I still stand by what I said to the OP- if he hankers power- an NA won't be enough.

Another stupid comment is a hot hatch will leave an na on the twisties? What on earth are you talking about? I'm faster in my supra in the bends than any hot hatch I've drove so you simply can't drive guys I'm afraid.

Ask the Dragonball '11 guys how quickly the Type R gets round bends, they will tell you ;)

I think you are over looking the point and keep referring to why you brought an NA over a TT.

Just for you sir, also bare in mind this was on road tyres not r888`s or slicks.

That lap is seriously impressive Si. I'm amazed it took so long for the Porsche and the BMW(?) to get passed, but even when they did, they didn't completely drop you.

You are a testament to just how good the NA supra can be in the hands of someone who knows how to drive!

Ask the Dragonball '11 guys how quickly the Type R gets round bends, they will tell you ;)

I think you are over looking the point and keep referring to why you brought an NA over a TT.

I'm overlooking nothing.

I've had big power cars.... Smashing gear boxes, boost pipes blowing off, over boosting and general running issues killed the buzz for me.

I have a car I can nail, stick in the garage and I can guarantee when I fire it up next the oil seals won't have gone.

That's why I got an na, reliability to me is far more important..... Again can I afford a single/twin yes do I want one? No.

I use this theory with my bikes, I had a triumph 675 which proved unreliable so it was replaced with a gsxr1000 and then 750. I can nail it over and over with no issues.

Again same theory with my off road bikes. They get nailed, put away, pulled out and nailed again with no hassle.

Obviously no engine is bomb proof but I want the most reliable as that's what's important to me.

All this said my car is no longer a track car as I've gone down the show route with it.

To answer your other question about gettin a Tt if it were reliable no I wouldn't as i simply don't believe there are turbo engines out there that are as reliable as an na simply as there's more to go wrong. On top of that I have my road bikes If I fancy going mental which leads me back to the point I made earlier, everyone's situations are different. The bigger the bhp does not mean it's a better car.

Well, it's finally happened. Years of general N/A bashing has sent the N/A owners mad, and they're rebelling.

If these stories continue, it won't be long until someone says a stock NA is faster than a stock TT...

Hell hath no fury like a N/A owner scorned :spank:

I've been shown the rear of a few VXRs and focus ST's from a standing start in my NA. Maybe my NA is down on power or I'm unlucky and have been racing tuned cars, but that's the problem I have with my NA. You never sure if you will beet the car next to you. But with a TT you can be a lot more confident of a win.

Also if NAs were that fast why would so many people doing NA-T's

Don't get me wrong I love my NA and it does have pace, but I wouldn't say its fast but I guess its all down to indevidual prospective

To answer your other question about gettin a Tt if it were reliable no I wouldn't as i simply don't believe there are turbo engines out there that are as reliable as an na simply as there's more to go wrong.

Try telling that to Fitz who is on his 3rd NA engine :D

I've been shown the rear of a few VXRs and focus ST's from a standing start in my NA. Maybe my NA is down on power or I'm unlucky and have been racing tuned cars, but that's the problem I have with my NA. You never sure if you will beet the car next to you. But with a TT you can be a lot more confident of a win.

That is more than likely because they are both turbo charged so will have a lot quicker lower down torque than you & are also lighter too. Not to mention that they are 20 years apart in technology. I also noticed having traction control made a HUGE difference at Pod, I am the expert after all on fast starts & sitting on the line wheel spinning :D

There is no trick that's the point.

Maybe some NA's lost too many ponies but as said by a few on here civics weren't a match

I gave everything I had and the supe gave everything too and it ran well

Maybe my mods let me go that extra bit

Maybe mate, but not mine. It had just over 40k on the clock and never missed a beat.

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

That's not even 140mph (the speedo is very inaccurate at those speeds) - it would be a bit poor if a 220hp GT couldn't even crack that.

How inaccurate would you say the speedo is out if interest?

Edit - actually scrap that.. I was trying to gauge how far my own speedo is out but remembered there are variables such as I've changed tyre sizes etc.

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)

Also if NAs were that fast why would so many people doing NA-T's

Don't get me wrong I love my NA and it does have pace, but I wouldn't say its fast but I guess its all down to indevidual prospective

We're not saying it's fast, we're just saying it ain't slow

The TT is fast, a bloody civic isn't fast