The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non turbo VS twin turbo

Guest Andy.ecma

How inaccurate would you say the speedo is out if interest?

Edit - actually scrap that.. I was trying to gauge how far my own speedo is out but remembered there are variables such as I've changed tyre sizes etc.

Probably well over 10mph at those speeds. I've always used a satnav when doing high speed runs, the speedo is dangerous, and removing your eyes off the autobahn at over 180mph is scary!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably well over 10mph at those speeds. I've always used a satnav when doing high speed runs, the speedo is dangerous, and removing your eyes off the autobahn at over 180mph is scary!

I've never been that fast.. yet. Managed an indicated 160mph + (off the clock) in a Courtney Sport Stage 4 Astra Gsi fitted with the M32 VXR gearbox and that was scary enough.

Sorry I'm a bit off topic now :(

Or you indeed are ill informed ,with the na? nice cars though just slower than the modern hot hatches ... guess why people want to swap there engines for GTE 2jz... wouldn't you agree ?

oh and it wasn't personal Al .just my opinion. :D

cheers though happy new yr

Than either your cars were $#@!e or you can't drive for sh*t

You're the only one who thinks that!

Or you indeed are ill informed ,with the na? nice cars though just slower than the modern hot hatches ... guess why people want to swap there engines for GTE 2jz... wouldn't you agree ?

oh and it wasn't personal Al .just my opinion. :D

cheers though happy new yr

I'm not ill informed

As said by myself and other members, I have never been outdone by a modern hot hatch.

Yes some people swap for gte engines or indeed go NA-t, but that's not because the NA is slow.

It's because people want more power.

As said I know the NA isn't fast, but it ain't slow either

Happy new year to you too

what i do think though is tjat out of the tt na and my current built single the NA certainly drove the nicest of them all...

QUOTE=Al Massey;3795270]I'm not ill informed

As said by myself and other members, I have never been outdone by a modern hot hatch.

Yes some people swap for gte engines or indeed go NA-t, but that's not because the NA is slow.

It's because people want more power.

As said I know the NA isn't fast, but it ain't slow either

Happy new year to you too

I guess it really depends on what you define as slow. An NA will struggle against some modern turbo diesel vans, and that's no joke. There's certainly room for 'slow' argument.

Are you having a laugh?

If a bloody hot hatch can't out do me a diesel van certainly won't!

I define slow as slow, my mondeo is slow but still does 120

My missus ka is slow

Slow is slow

Yes there is cars with more bhp but the delivery on the NA is better than most cars.

I didn't say "out do", I said "struggle against" and I stand by that. An NA will be making a right ole song 'n dance against modern day sales rep cars too. As it's a supposed sports car/grand tourer, I would say its slow within its bracket.

Off the line the n/a can certainly get caught out.

Rolling starts, ive certainly given a few people in quite quick cars a scare, often met with a thumbs up from them when we next pull up. But the n/a is slowish, but it looks a dam site better than most of the modern nippy little cars.

But saying that i am going na/t so the power has become a little 'stale' and thats from someone that loves na power.

Off the line the n/a can certainly get caught out.

Rolling starts, ive certainly given a few people in quite quick cars a scare, often met with a thumbs up from them when we next pull up. But the n/a is slowish, but it looks a dam site better than most of the modern nippy little cars.

But saying that i am going na/t so the power has become a little 'stale' and thats from someone that loves na power.

Yeah, I still have a lot of time for the NA and don't want to come across as someone out to bash it for the sake of it being an NA. Funnily enough, I nearly bought one again instead of my TT (with the intention of NA-t), but was still more than happy to drive it around of a year or so on standard NA power. I'm just giving my honest account of the NA for the benefit of the thread. It's quite a heavy old lump to move and it feels that way when you're trying to give it a kick up the arse. It does to me anyway.

Good luck with the NA-t dude. :)

Yeah, I still have a lot of time for the NA and don't want to come across as someone out to bash it for the sake of it being an NA. Funnily enough, I nearly bought one again instead of my TT (with the intention of NA-t), but was still more than happy to drive it around of a year or so on standard NA power. I'm just giving my honest account of the NA for the benefit of the thread. It's quite a heavy old lump to move and it feels that way when you're trying to give it a kick up the arse. It does to me anyway.

Good luck with the NA-t dude. :)

I agree with you completely. It is quick enough for an n/a that weighs as much as it does, and it will certainly be fast enough for a lot of people. But i know what to race and when to race as i have been caught out in some embarrassing situations before...... :rolleyes:

The trouble is most Supra owners want to obilterate people, be the fastest, like a tuned civic type R passing them one day is enough to make them consider jumping off a cliff.

My old NA auto aero, so the slowest/heaviest version of a Supra was identical to a Clio 172. So yes a later Clio Type etc may beat me I couldn't 'do him' etc etc but is a Clio Civic fun at 9/10ths? of course it is, is it playful like a rwd not really. Thousands of people can enjoy a Mx5 and be happy and so many can in an NA Supra. Dynamically it's the same, feel it's the same and quality it's the same all it doesn't do is accelerate like a TT and that to some is the be all and end all.

I agree with you completely. It is quick enough for an n/a that weighs as much as it does, and it will certainly be fast enough for a lot of people. But i know what to race and when to race as i have been caught out in some embarrassing situations before...... :rolleyes:

Wise man. My NA had a bodykit and looked pretty awesome. I too picked my races. :D

If I could sell my NA and get a TT I would do in an instant, I like my NA and for what it is it has been a pretty good car but I want/need/require more. Bpu and I will be happy.

As far as conversions go I would of liked to do a NA-T but just cannot justify spending thousands to only have about 40bhp more than a stock TT with the risk of lunching my gearbox, add to the fact the conversion can cost as much as buying a TT almost so IMO I would be better off and wiser to save some money and sell it and then get a TT with a few quid to spend on it.

If in the near future you see me going NA-T ignore the above and don't post what I said in any future thread.

My last point (not that any of the above are points) is that IMO I would of only really considered doing NA-T or TT if I had a 6speed gearbox or a better 5speed.

NA's can be a fun reliable way to get used to driving a RWD but the lack of power gets on my nerves nowadays, they look great and other people generally like it but it shouldn't be as "slow" as it is looking like that, bloody jap equal opportunities car :D