The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non turbo VS twin turbo

Guest Andy.ecma

With regard to the NA vs EP3 Type R debate.. I had a 20-100mph drag in my previous NA with a friends Astra Gsi mk4 (lightly modified, cat back exhaust, pre-cat removed, circa 205bhp?) and we were literally neck and neck. It could not of been more evenly matched if we had tried. I think the Astra Gsi would be on par with a stock EP3?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive done all 3, ie n/a, tt and single, obviously i love my current setup especially on the track as there`s not many other cars to worry about, but tbh for the money my n/a was great fun and really chuckable with a sub 9 minute lap @ the ring its not to be sniffed at.

Ive done all 3, ie n/a, tt and single, obviously i love my current setup especially on the track as there`s not many other cars to worry about, but tbh for the money my n/a was great fun and really chuckable with a sub 9 minute lap @ the ring its not to be sniffed at.

Any Video of that run at the ring?

Guest Knightrider1980

After driving both an NA and a TT, I gotta be honest a TT is great especially when tuned BPU with near 400bhp and doing 0-60 in 3.5 secs and when you want to obliterate another car but in the NA's defence by no means is it a slow car, it is still a 3ltr after all and does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, in the end of the day its up to you and how you feel with the car.

My NA must of been a beast

I never had a problem getting to speed or maintaining it

It's apparent me, al and big num are the only ones here who are not on crack.

You guys who come out with comments like "over taking is an issue" etc are the only ones with issues. Are you taking about the na auto? You must be or you simply have no idea how to drive the na.

I'll say it again i chose an na, not as I could not afford anything else, simply as I was sick to death of my other 400bhp plus cars having turbo issues etc so budget is not a factor at all.

I've also done countless track days and never felt I need more power or been passed by "hot hatches"

Another stupid comment is a hot hatch will leave an na on the twisties? What on earth are you talking about? I'm faster in my supra in the bends than any hot hatch I've drove so you simply can't drive guys I'm afraid.

V fustrating reading rubbish untrue comments that are miss leading to new members, I'm glad the people in question were not around when I was looking for a supra.

I've parked my car next to lots of single and twin turbo supras and not once have I ever felt like "one day I'll have one of those" or "I'd swop mine for that" as I 100% would not.

Its a shame such bad untrue advice is being given out here and I feel sorry for anyone who reads this and takes it as true

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

Just a few pics for the plonkers...

That is Cadwell park in my supra totaly standard, behind me is my mates fq300 which could not touch me all day, for the haters my mates a good driver but we swoped and I couldn't catch him driving my supra

I wasn't the highest bhp car there but I can tell you nothing passed me that day even when I was just having a mess around. If anything came up behind me on the straights id just outbrake them.

Yes the turbo is faster yes a single is faster but does that mean there better? It all depends on the person. I don't mind letting anyone come see my car if you think the na is that bad.

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

Track days is a whole different argument. Normally, people don't drive on public roads as they do on a race track. Sure, the NA handles well and can be competitive, but in relation to normal road use (what I gathered the OP was referring to), it will get shown up by moderately-fast (at best) sports cars in terms of power/acceleration.

You guys who come out with comments like "over taking is an issue" etc are the only ones with issues. Are you taking about the na auto? You must be or you simply have no idea how to drive the na.

I'll say it again i chose an na, not as I could not afford anything else, simply as I was sick to death of my other 400bhp plus cars having turbo issues etc so budget is not a factor at all.

I've also done countless track days and never felt I need more power or been passed by "hot hatches"

Another stupid comment is a hot hatch will leave an na on the twisties? What on earth are you talking about? I'm faster in my supra in the bends than any hot hatch I've drove so you simply can't drive guys I'm afraid.

V fustrating reading rubbish untrue comments that are miss leading to new members, I'm glad the people in question were not around when I was looking for a supra.

I've parked my car next to lots of single and twin turbo supras and not once have I ever felt like "one day I'll have one of those" or "I'd swop mine for that" as I 100% would not.

Its a shame such bad untrue advice is being given out here and I feel sorry for anyone who reads this and takes it as true

Would you swap if you could get a TT with indestructible turbos? Would you want any more power, or is the NA power enough for your needs?

Very great post!!!

Track days is a whole different argument. Normally, people don't drive on public roads as they do on a race track. Sure, the NA handles well and can be competitive, but in relation to normal road use (what I gathered the OP was referring to), it will get shown up by moderately-fast (at best) sports cars in terms of power/acceleration.

Name one?

As said I have never ever been beaten by a hot hatch or sports car never!

My car out pulled a hell of a lot.

The power, torque and speed I had was never touched by another car.

I'm not ashamed of my NA and it's lack of turbos at all.

Think the NA owners who think they are slow need to learn how to use the accelerator!!!!

Name one?

As said I have never ever been beaten by a hot hatch or sports car never!

My car out pulled a hell of a lot.

The power, torque and speed I had was never touched by another car.

I'm not ashamed of my NA and it's lack of turbos at all.

Think the NA owners who think they are slow need to learn how to use the accelerator!!!!

Providing we're not talking about a complete retard here, there's no hidden trick as to selecting the appropriate gear, planting the accelerator and shifting when the power curve has peaked. My NA ran like a dream, but I couldn't shake type r civics, seat leons, moderately tuned Renault 5 GTT's, etc on public roads. I wouldn't even start talking about going up against M3's.

I'm not one to bash the NA's... a Supra is still a Supra, but I just can't bring myself to say they're quick in common street scenarios.

Providing we're not talking about a complete retard here, there's no hidden trick as to selecting the appropriate gear, planting the accelerator and shifting when the power curve has peaked. My NA ran like a dream, but I couldn't shake type r civics, seat leons, moderately tuned Renault 5 GTT's, etc on public roads. I wouldn't even start talking about going up against M3's.

I'm not one to bash the NA's... a Supra is still a Supra, but I just can't bring myself to say they're quick in common street scenarios.

There is no trick that's the point.

Maybe some NA's lost too many ponies but as said by a few on here civics weren't a match

I gave everything I had and the supe gave everything too and it ran well

Maybe my mods let me go that extra bit