The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NOW BEING UPDATED AS I GO>>>>>Transplant engine now knocking, help please

DodgyRog

I think this car deserves a club effort to get it sorted, its one of the the prettiest and with all the effort that's gone into it we cant let it die, great advert for the mkiv and the club

I appreciate the thought Craig, but I don't want to become a charity case

I have had a really bad run recently and do really appreciate the club and what goes on here, but if I have to sell it won't just be because of the engine, that's just the thing that finishs me off

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a charity mate , I personally wouldn't want to see it go. id also love to see a big naughty v8 in there :)

Funny you should say the V8 bit, I really considered it for a while, but didn't want to stray into the huge modification thing, especially insurance wise

I actually went TT for the reliability over N/A-T as well, that was a good idea

I know there is risks with 2nd hand parts, but it's becoming a long list of problems with this transplant, you use reputable traders in the hope of minimising the risk, but I guess that didn't work for me

Who did you use for you bad transplant ?

It was a private sale and installation from a friend, ran like a dream in his car then switched it into my car and boom lol. Yeah I know what you mean about using reputable traders, but if the engine wasn't cared for by its previous owner, then at no fault of the trader its more prone to failure. Having said that when my engine was taken apart there was no sign of what caused the knock, no blocked oilways, the pump was in good condition, everything was assembled as it should be and they could even tell it had been recently rebuild, so its a mystery what caused it and I ended up with another bottom end as I couldn't run the risk of rebuilding that block without knowing what caused the knock. Hopefully yours will be a happier outcome than mine, Chris Wilson is absolutely right when he stated that a bad TT engine is a massive money pit.

that's why I always did na-ts mate, if it blew up completely £100 and 3 hours work and a fresh motor was in.a v8 will be powerful and reliable with the side effect of sounding awesome. no real big mods either, the soarer setup goes straight in , bit of wireing and your away

that's why I always did na-ts mate, if it blew up completely £100 and 3 hours work and a fresh motor was in.a v8 will be powerful and reliable with the side effect of sounding awesome. no real big mods either, the soarer setup goes straight in , bit of wireing and your away

V8 may be an option, but won't be able to even consider it until at least next year and I not sure I want the Supra sat on my drive that long

Hopefully if I can get someone localish with good knowledge to look at it, my luck will change and it will be something simple and specifically CHEAP to sort and I will get to keep her and enjoy the fact that I have got it pretty close to were I want it

but I have to be realistic, I can't warrant spending any amount of money when I can't even earn bring in any money of any amount, it's not fair on Jen, she is working her arse off and deserves some nice things in her life, rather than me wasting more money on the Supra

I think this car deserves a club effort to get it sorted, its one of the the prettiest and with all the effort that's gone into it we cant let it die, great advert for the mkiv and the club

Is there nothing you can do Craig?

I have just read that back and I sound like a girl, so I think I better go to bed before I start crying

Lemsip Rog?

If it's terminal, you could drop an N/A lump in it cheap as chips and keep your Supra trundling until you're better off.

+1 to that

To me mate and I'm no expert it sounds like bottom end, probably Big End like Lee said, I had the same noise on my N/A and it sounded like it went away when you revved it a bit

Honestly really sorry to be reading this but like imi says you live and learn I am afraid :(

Ash recommended I changed my oil after a couple of hundred miles and even checked the engine & the full car over again to give it a clean bill of health on the second visit. I guess with the distance it would have been quite difficult but I'd start with draining the oil first and see if you can see any bits, also Mark's screw driver idea is good or take up Darren's offer and trailer it to a garage for them to use them listening devices to work out if it is top or bottom end. Also taking the aux belt off is a good idea too.

Seriously give it a break for a couple of days & then go back to it with a calm head, all this anger will not help you my friend. :)

Honestly really sorry to be reading this but like imi says you live and learn I am afraid :(

Ash recommended I changed my oil after a couple of hundred miles and even checked the engine & the full car over again to give it a clean bill of health on the second visit. I guess with the distance it would have been quite difficult but I'd start with draining the oil first and see if you can see any bits, also Mark's screw driver idea is good or take up Darren's offer and trailer it to a garage for them to use them listening devices to work out if it is top or bottom end. Also taking the aux belt off is a good idea too.

Seriously give it a break for a couple of days & then go back to it with a calm head, all this anger will not help you my friend. :)

:yeahthat: wise words

:yeahthat: wise words

Thanks guys

What about Paul Howard up in Woolsery Rog? JapImportsUK I think it's called now. I know Paul used to own a Supra pushing 800hp or so, so might be worth a shout?

Yeah, I know him, I have collected engines for delivery from there, to be honest his place is a nightmare to get to and from memory when he sold that Supra it had loads of issues

I will do a couple of checks today as a few of you have mentioned, at least try and work out if it is internal/bearings that are shot

Then I guess it will just be a case of deciding if there is a way forward in my Supra ownership

Have to say I didn't sleep much last night and feel really crap now today, least I didn't get any work again, so can sit at home all day:rolleyes:

rog

all is not lost!! that very much sounds like a loose crank pully to me , i would take the aux belt off and see if its loose , ( i dont mean its failed i actually mean its loose and needs the main bolt tightening)

its i had a very similar noise and it was as simple at that

good luck mate

rog

all is not lost!! that very much sounds like a loose crank pully to me , i would take the aux belt off and see if its loose , ( i dont mean its failed i actually mean its loose and needs the main bolt tightening)

good luck mate

Thanks, I will check that as well, just need to let the neighbours get sorted first, live in a retirement cul-de-sac

rog

good luck mate

Let's all hope it's just this

As JP says drop the oil but into a clean container then pour it through a stretched stocking

and you'll see any metallic bits easily as they will be left on the stocking.

Good luck with it

Yeap something that will be done, but going to start with the belt removed,

then Crank Pully check

run the engine without the belt and screw driver to the ear

Not sure I will get to drop the oil today, as there is rain around down here

Going to give it another hour, just in case a last minute job comes in