The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NOW BEING UPDATED AS I GO>>>>>Transplant engine now knocking, help please

DodgyRog

Next question for the mechanically minded then

I know I have a possible Turbo Issue, is there anyway this could cause the type of knocking in the 1st video in post 1, excuse my stupidity, but do the Turbos gently rotate even at Idle

I know from looking into the Cam Cover through the Oil filler hole that it's a bit sludgy in there, with the Oil change and the hard driving during the Dragonball, is it possible the sludge made something jam for a short period

Could the Exhaust Bung have any influence with the back pressure it is producing

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it the aux belt pulley as I suggested? And yes, the turbo should spin at idle

Sorry you don't win the Haribo, when it was knocking slightly, I put the Screwdriver on the top of the aux belt pulley and no knock just a whinny weer

I don't think it can be the Turbo's as I would not expect it to be that load or rhythmic, surely they would get stuck on and off

In a way that is good news though my concerns would certainly be why the oil was so dark considering it was change recently?

I'd also do the tipex test on the crank pulley... still something iffy about that.

This is odd then, I would of put a little bit of cash on the crank pulley being the culprit.

How long has it run without knocking now?

Well the short drive was maybe 10 mins and a good 15 mins before and I then switched it off for 10-15 mins, then it sat running for 20 ish minutes, with me going out and giving it occasional blips

I can't be sure it wasn't a lose Crank Pulley Bolt, as I have had a 1 1/2 foot Torque Wrench on it while in Gear, it didn't feel like it moved, but I can't 100% it didn't move slightly

The only thing I can think of is something got stuck inside the engine and freed up again or I have moved something enough to stop the knocking, I guess I will end up watching like a hawk for a while

I am not really driving it much anyway, due to the Turbo Issues, but I will have to drive it a bit on and off and see if it comes back

There's a show which is about 50 miles away on the weekend and the forecast is great, so might go down with several stops on the way to check for the knocking, I have full AA cover, so if it comes back I will call them out to get me home

In a way that is good news though my concerns would certainly be why the oil was so dark considering it was change recently?

I'd also do the tipex test on the crank pulley... still something iffy about that.

I don't think Whifbitz could of changed the Oil during the Transplant, so I changed it before the Dragonball, I would guess the new Oil is cleaning some of the sludge away from around the engine, causing it to prematurely get dirty

I will drop the Oil out and replace the Filter again when I have a day free, I think I will get some cheap Oil and 2 filters, leave the cheap Oil in there for a 100 mile and change it again, hopefully with 3 changes in 6 months it will start cleaning the insides out a bit

I have Tip-Ex on it, I always make sure it is clearly visable after my N/A one went and I was very lucky it didn,t fly off

Might be worth running a flush, when Kirk off the forum did my stem seals, he ran a flush through before changing the oil. Said it cleaned it out a treat! Id' still do as you said though, cheap oil for a few hundred miles maybe, then change again. Hope it's sorted mate!

Might be worth running a flush, when Kirk off the forum did my stem seals, he ran a flush through before changing the oil. Said it cleaned it out a treat! Id' still do as you said though, cheap oil for a few hundred miles maybe, then change again. Hope it's sorted mate!

I have a feeling it's not literally sorted, but it looks possible that it is not something terminal at this stage, as someone said, you would expect bearings to come and go

Next thing for the Supra is definitely to drop the Oil and cut the filter in half to see if there is any gunk or metal in there

Think I will do this on Saturday and all going well take it easy done to Plymouth Hoe for the Show and see what happens

Fingers crossed mate

If your going show give Malcolm a call as he may pop up

And a few others

As I just posted Darren, I will get the Oil done and see what happens, plan at this stage is to go, to be honest I was always going to go if the weather was half decent, as I was invite by Jon from Jap-Riders to join them. I have not done much with the car this year and want to try and do more,

I am planning to go to Modified Mania if the Supra is knocking as well, but may come home early, it's right on my doorstep, so it's no biggy for me to go for half a day

I will give Malc a ring now

At this stage I am crossing fingers as well, the knocking has disappeared, but I don't know why, I have not done an oil change yet, planning to do it on Saturday

I have had the Aux belt off and checked the Crank Pulley Bolt and put as much tightening pressure as possible on it. Also checked all the pulleys, Cam Belt looks okay visibly

At this stage to be honest I have no idea of the cause, just hoping it has gone for good

This is a video after I took it for a short drive around the block this afternoon

http://youtu.be/mi5c2vdrHQU

compared to this last night

http://youtu.be/MByzEqajx1Y

Can't believe it is the same engine less than 24 hours later

I don't think Whifbitz could of changed the Oil during the Transplant, so I changed it before the Dragonball, I would guess the new Oil is cleaning some of the sludge away from around the engine, causing it to prematurely get dirty

I will drop the Oil out and replace the Filter again when I have a day free, I think I will get some cheap Oil and 2 filters, leave the cheap Oil in there for a 100 mile and change it again, hopefully with 3 changes in 6 months it will start cleaning the insides out a bit

I have Tip-Ex on it, I always make sure it is clearly visable after my N/A one went and I was very lucky it didn,t fly off

Possible there Rog, Ash left mine draining overnight to make sure all the crap got out before we put fresh oil in for the second time so hopefully it is just kack coming out.

I have a feeling it's not literally sorted, but it looks possible that it is not something terminal at this stage, as someone said, you would expect bearings to come and go

Next thing for the Supra is definitely to drop the Oil and cut the filter in half to see if there is any gunk or metal in there

Think I will do this on Saturday and all going well take it easy done to Plymouth Hoe for the Show and see what happens

Does Jen know about this?! :D

So the 2nd hand engine that Whifbitz supplied you was fine in the end it seems then

Fingers crossed that's all sorted for you mate

Bloody cars

Well let's hope so, but an engine rattling that badly isn't a healthy engine to me, even if it is for one night

I still need to change the Turbo's do another Oil change, plus a fair few other things I have sorted or still need to get sorted, the heat shield is still only attached by one bolt, but I guess changing the Turbo's will mean I don't have to get the other 2 drilled and rethreaded

- - - Updated - - -

well something wasnt right but it seems to fix itself lol

was there anything in the oil or filter ?

Have not got that far today, planning to do that Saturday

I will save some extra money and get Lee to do a full health check and go over the whole thing, to be honest I was already planning to get him to do a general check over, but I will get a more in depth check done now before I risk wasting money putting the Turbo's on to find the engine is still duff