The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NOW BEING UPDATED AS I GO>>>>>Transplant engine now knocking, help please

DodgyRog

Right I am on the car now

I have done a couple of new video's which I will put up as soon as they have uploaded

Cold start, was fine, absolutely no sign of any knocking, Oil light went out immediately

Once the engine had been run for a minute or so there is a very faint knocking noise coming back, nothing like last night, you can only just about hear it

Occasionally as I move the camera around you just about make it out if you have the volume up, I don't know if it me, but when I took the Oil Cap off it sounded slightly loader, but very slightly, could just be general increase of all internal engine noise though

Taken the top Cam Cover off as well, Cam Belt looks fine to from what I can see of it anyway, just letting everything cool down again and I will remove the belt, but as the noise isn't really there now I am not sure if it worth removing it, as there isn't really a noise to make disappear, would I be better off letting it run for a bit longer and seeing if the noise returns properly

Youtube is saying 35 minutes to upload, so don't sit here waiting lol

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not trying to blame Paul, I took the risk, I knew that there was No Warranty

I understand the risk you took mate. Warranty is always a good idea on a 15year old engine tho. Like you say its not Paul's fault.

But its in the past now. So chin up and keep going.

It doesnt sound to me like its completely fbar'd. Like people have said just investigate one part at a time. Personally i would get the oil dropped and filter cut open. Go from there..

should of done the belt first mate , the reason it may not be loud when cold is because of the expanding metal, rog this more and more sounds to me like a loose crank pulley, exactly what mine did, take the belt off and you can probably wobble the hole pulley by hand

should of done the belt first mate , the reason it may not be loud when cold is because of the expanding metal, rog this more and more sounds to me like a loose crank pulley, exactly whay mine did, take the belt off and you can probably wobble the hole pulley by hand

As soon as it's cooled down I will take the belt off, the top rad pipe is to hot for me to get my arm down there at the moment

Cold start video

http://youtu.be/ytwKsMozZHY

No sign of the noise with the belt off, but no sign of loose pulleys either

Going to put the belt back on and see if the noise is there at all with the belt on, then get it hot again to see if I can get the noise back like last night, then try and get the belt off while it is still hot and making the noise

rog could you just try the crank pully bolt for me with the correct size rachet hot or not it may tighten if not then i would rule that out.

i know the engine will turn but get it to the point with most resistance the give the rachet a nice wack with you hand and you will tell if the bolt moved or not,

as above are all oil levels correct?

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

There's no way I can get the leverage need to 300ftlb but it certainly is lose lose

and still no knocking, think I might have to drive it round the block

- - - Updated - - -

and the nocking was after being driven last time?

Yeah, but not boosting hard, maybe a couple of light boost pulls, proberbly about 3 miles ish

I really hope you get this sorted Rog. It is a stunning car and after all the work that has gone into it you will be guttede to see somebody else sort it a driving it. Sorry I can't be of any help but I think my mechanical knowledge is about the same as yours but at least others will give you good advice and help when you need it. Good luck mate, it sounds like you are deserving of a break.

Just had a very short drive, got .5 bar of boost, but no sign of the knocking at all

Tried the screw driver before going out and could hear a slight knock when holding it to the front of the cam covers or on the metal between the coilpacks

After the drive absolutely nothing at all

The only things I have done are

Remove the Belt and check the Bolt for the Crank Pulley

I have but the bung in my Exhaust as I don't want to annoy my neighbours, is there anyway the back pressure it causes could be stopping the knocking in some way, the bung is very restrictive

not sure on what to recommend as your next move re your current situation, but wanted to say that I'd be very careful with your earlier plan of running the hot engine without the aux belt. I know when cold it's not a problem to run the engine for a short time but it's at operating temperature i'm not sure of the window you have before you could possible cause heat related damage.

not sure on what to recommend as your next move re your current situation, but wanted to say that I'd be very careful with your earlier plan of running the hot engine without the aux belt. I know when cold it's not a problem to run the engine for a short time but it's at operating temperature i'm not sure of the window you have before you could possible cause heat related damage.

Yeah, I was not planning to literally run the engine

I was heating it up to get the knocking like last night, then remove the belt immediately and just fire it up for a few seconds to see if the knock was still there, but as the knock seems to have pretty much vanished, not sure what the hell to do now

Good news, serious engine damage ie bearings don't come and go.

:D

I know your right in principle, but I am really nervous to drive it, obviously I need to get the Turbo's sorted anyway, but without knowing the cause of the knocking it risky

Paul if you read this can you either post on here or Pm me, was the Crank Pulley already on the engine or did you use mine off the N/A, as I know I said to if the TT block one looked old, as mine was only a couple of years old

Just wandering if it just isn't tight enough and the bit of messing around I have done, has been enough to tighten it just enough to make the knock go away temporarily

have a look at the crank pulley when its idling mate you should see if its not straight or moving ect..

i would be nervous too lol

could it have been something silly like something knocking on something? intercooler pipe? heatshield? small fan? cam cover? noticed its off now

edit

just watched the first video again and sounds internal and not something knocking outside

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

have a look at the crank pulley when its idling mate you should see if its not straight or moving ect..

i would be nervous too lol

could it have been something silly like something knocking on something? intercooler pipe? heatshield? small fan? cam cover? noticed its off now

Crank Pulley seems fine, I filmed during the cold start video, although it wasn't knocking in that one

It wasn't anything you have listed and it was knocking very slight before I drove it and the Cam Cover was off at that point

If you back and listen again to the video in post 1 and then the on I have just posted, you wouldn't believe it was the same car