The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kaan's SRD1000S - 3.4 Stroked Wide Body Project!

Kaan W

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked at these cylindrical filters and nearly bought one when I got my K&N, as I thought they would flow more air due to greater surface area, but ended up going for a cone after a bit of reading and realising the restrictions there would be on space regarding a 6" filter lol. This extract explains best what I came to understand about filter shape if it helps anyone......

"Assuming both filters have the same surface area and same filter media, the cone will outflow the cylinder. The reason for this is because the air coming through the cone flows through straighter wheras the air coming into the cylinder shaped filter has to make a sharp 90 degree bend.

This causes several problems. First, most of the air tends to come in the closest to where the air intake tube is clamped to the filter. Little or no air comes in at the opposite end. This effectively reduces the usable surface area of the cylinder filter (hence: why the more expensive filters are cone shaped). Second, the 90 degree bend the incoming air has to make after passing through the filter media of the cylinder causes the air to hug tight to the intake tube wall. This creates uneven air flow/turbulance. This also increases friction which reduces air flow. The slower air in the middle of the intake tube and the faster air closer to the wall of the tube induce turbulence which further reduces air flow.

The cone filter all but eliminates the sharp transition the air has to make after passing through the filter media. This allows for near 100% air volume through the air intake tube with little or no turbulance. All of the cone filter has equal air velocity/volume passing through it from end to end due to the tapered shape.

In other words, a cone filter with 90 square inches of filter surface will outflow a cylinder filter with 110 square inches of filter media. These surface area numbers are from a 6"diameter by 6" long cylinder (110 square inches) and a 6"lg by 6" base diamer cone (90 square inches)."

Interesting, I can understand though regarding the air has to make sharper turns but once it goes through the turbo I can't see it making a difference. It would certainly be interesting to dyno a car with both cone and straight filters of the same surface area and see what kind of difference it makes. I've never really thought about it to be honest but it makes sense.

Alot of unwanted wire stripped from the engine loom, Lee has tidied it up a bit and also some new connectors have been ordered from Toyota as a few were in a bad way.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=192065&d=1412235460

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=192066&d=1412235478

IMG-20141001-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20141001-WA0001.jpg

I'm using my original 45mm turbosmart wastegates but overhauled with new parts and Zircotech coated.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=192072&d=1412237759

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=192071&d=1412237737

IMG-20140923-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20140925-WA0002.jpg

First picture of the finished billet timing belt covers, they should be with me pretty soon then I'll give them a good polish up :)

I don't know about you guys but I think they look pretty cool.

They will be making more of these if anyone is interested.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=192098&d=1412284125

Screenshot_2014-10-02-21-46-38-1-1.jpg

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

I'm starting to fear a little about this car thats its so nice and will not be used because you dont want to get it dirty or some little punk doing something to it ,

from what i know of you it doesnt seem like you would not use it but as said i'm starting to worry a little , as all the others have said i cant wait to see this car its amazing how you have turnt it around

I'm starting to fear a little about this car thats its so nice and will not be used because you dont want to get it dirty or some little punk doing something to it ,

from what i know of you it doesnt seem like you would not use it but as said i'm starting to worry a little , as all the others have said i cant wait to see this car its amazing how you have turnt it around

Thanks mate I really appreciate the nice feedback :thumbs:

It will definitely get driven as its my daily but it will take some getting used to being without a car for over a year now. But I didn't by my gopro for the fun of it :eyebrows:

Awesome Kaan.

I'm in for one. How fast can you get these made?

Cheers Luc, now the first one is made the rest can be machined within a few hours I would have thought.

Cheers Luc, now the first one is made the rest can be machined within a few hours I would have thought.

Once you've done the prototype it doesn't really get any easier, they look

nicely done but that's pretty much down to the machine, can you get any photos

of the back side, i'd like to see that more than the outer face :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Once you've done the prototype it doesn't really get any easier, they look

nicely done but that's pretty much down to the machine, can you get any photos

of the back side, i'd like to see that more than the outer face :)

They do look nicely made, I will get some pictures of the rear and any other bits when I get them :)

Are these the OCD works billet covers ? They look very nicely made.

Just out of interest how much power do these add ?

Yeah they are the ocdworks covers, adds 15% torque ;)